Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Putting the "track" back in Trackhead.

First it was an old Bombardier snowcat that was a bitch to maintain because of parts availability and the prices to obtain them. Then it was a Polaris Wide Track, but I'm not fond of sleds. Now it's a Suzuki Samurai with Tatou tracks.........

Picked these up today. Now it's time to do the fabrication to mount them up. The Samurai might eventually be replaced with a UTV when funds allow it.

The chassis is a 1998 Samurai with a custom pop up camper I built on the back. So I guess I have an over snow camper now. Look for it roving around the outer Wasatch this winter, perhaps near Mt. Nebo, or putting down the Skyline Drive.

no shit, thats a great little vehicle. Probably can't get too gnar off trail but in places like the uintas with superb road and trail systems, that rig is money.

Quote Originally Posted by PROVO View Post
    no shit, thats a great little vehicle. Probably can't get too gnar off trail but in places like the uintas with superb road and trail systems, that rig is money.
    I'm not a fan of sleds, I just want to go down existing snowmo trails, and this will do it easy. People are successfully using Samurai's with tracks for ski/snowmobile trail grooming, and the ground pressure is about 0.9psi. When I get a UTV, it will be 0.5psi. Either way, it's quirky as hell, but should be fun to roll up, pop the top, brew some coffee, cook some bacon, make some turns, drink some whiskey, repeat.

that is the coolest thing i have ever seen.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

You can't sleep inside a sled, thats for damn sure.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    I don't believe you marshal!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Hugh Conway Guest
    this thing will end up the ultimate Samurai ever created

i see what you are going for:

I support this message.

Trackhead, I already though your Campurai was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

To add tracks? That's definitely taking it to the next level. Definitely worthy of its own tthread.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

I used a similar setup for a while, but only had a polaris ranger as the engine. Hopefully the Samurai does better. The Polaris setup gets you nowhere fast. Although it is really good at getting stuck. And you thought a snowmobile was heavy.

Very cool. Post up photos of your build as you go!

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    Our 'winter car' is a Samurai, or Sierra as they are called Down Under. Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by cmor View Post
    I used a similar setup for a while, but only had a polaris ranger as the engine. Hopefully the Samurai does better. The Polaris setup gets you nowhere fast. Although it is really good at getting stuck. And you thought a snowmobile was heavy.
    Did you have Tatou tracks, or a smaller track? These Tatous are huge compared to any other track on the market. Yeah, slow is right, just like any tracked vehicle, but I'm not in a hurry. I just want to use it for hauling stuff down established trails. No illusions that it's s 140hp two stroke sled.

Damn, really cool stuff. Looking forward to seing the action pics.
    If you're being rad and nobody's around to see it, are you really being rad?

www.simonblide.blogspot.com

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    nice you know I haz mad army tracked trackheaded vehicles experience.
    Not that you would let my slight periods of non ludicial ass drive your toy.
    That thing would rule ELY and the ducks
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    Perfect!
    The Passion is in the Risk

fkna you have an imagination and the skillz to complete the thoughts......I'd like to cruise around in that and eat your bacon drink whiskey and rip lines, then repeat......are you Taking reservations for a samuria trip rather than a cat trip good luck and looking forward to seeing that in the snow........
    LYNCHDOGGER we need one for VT!!!!!
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    Fucking awesome!

That is totally badass. Can't wait to see pics of it in action.
    Keep it unclipped

its too bad those tracks arent easier to put on. then u could drive it wherever and change onto tracks. unless thats your plan as it stands?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggs View Post
    its too bad those tracks arent easier to put on. then u could drive it wherever and change onto tracks. unless thats your plan as it stands?
    I'm putting in a cheapo locking rear differential in for the winter and setting it up for snow only. So it will be a seasonal rig until a UTV comes into play.

This is going to be so cool. Anxiously awaiting the first TR.

nice! give me a shout if you're gonna head up skyline. right by my house.