Are Nylon backpacks Waterproof?

No, they aren't, so why are most backpacks made out of a nylon or nylon blend? What's a good pack that's not made of nylon?

And, can I apply a waterproofing agent to my nylon backpack, specifically on the plastic zippers and seams?

like rainproof, waterproof (they make packfly's for that) - then no, they are not fully waterproof.

or like snowproof, waterproof (yes, ballistic nylon and cordura is plenty resistant, if treated with DWR).
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Nylon is durable, cheap, and lightweight for its durability...and while it may not be waterproof, it doesn't absorb water either.

Think how heavy a cotton canvas tent or backpack would be -- and think how much heavier it would get in the rain. The old-school solution was waxed cotton...but it still weighed a ton.

You can spray a backpack with Nikwax or whatever and it'll stand up to a bit of drizzle, but you'll never waterproof a non-waterproof zipper and you'll still need a pack cover in real rain. A garbage bag weighs about an ounce and packs down to nothing, so I've never stressed about it. Or you can bring a poncho instead of a jacket and throw it over both you and the backpack...

Thanks for the clarification. After some research i found that nylon can be pretty water resistant with the right weave and weight. I was thinking about this in terms of ski backpacks, and how nylon would withstand being out all day while it's dumping. Pack covers are obviously the best bet for backpacking/trekking.

With this in mind, I'll be looking for a pack with mostly ballistic nylon and cordura, and treat anything else with scotchgard or nikwax.

Quote Originally Posted by ncSpreadhead View Post
    After some research i found that nylon can be pretty water resistant with the right weave and weight.
    No, not quite. Nylon thread is water resistant but water penetrates the spaces in between the threads. Nylon pack cloth and other nylon fabric (e.g., nylon with Spectra grid, Cordura) used for packs are waterproof only if the fabric is coated with urethane or rubber, or laminated to some waterproof membrane. Most backpacks are made with urethane coated nylon, but water gets through the seams and urethane coating peels, cracks and abrades, so backpacks are generally not waterproof nor water resistant. (There are a few sealed seam packs out there, but they are rare and not worth the added cost.)

Kayak dry bags (rubber coated nylon) are waterproof.

Cordura and Ballistic cloth are sorta waterproof for awhile only if they are urethane coated, but no more so than coated 400D pack cloth, etc., and packs made of either aren't waterproof because water will penetrate the seams. It's the urethane coating, not the weave or weight, that is waterproof (for awhile). Water will pass through uncoated Cordura or Ballistics or similarly coarsely woven synthetic fabric like a screen door. Cordura and Ballistic cloth are indicated only if you plan to expose the pack to abrasive conditions, e.g., hauling a pack up a big wall. Waterproofness is not a reason to chose such heavy fabrics.

DWRing backpacks is a waste of money and time because the DWR would wear off in a few uses and it won't stop the water from penetrating seams, which is how most of the water passes on a pack, assuming the urethane coating is in good shape. (After a few seasons of moderate use, it won't be.)

No need to fret. A good pack cover will keep a pack quite dry. A silnylon pack cover weights 3 or 4 oz., although they will develop holes from brush and rock. The belts and suspenders method is to use both a pack cover and a plastic garbage bag inside, which is what I do on a really wet trip.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 10-26-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Stop skiing in the rain. It's depressing.

If your worried about your stuff inside your pack getting wet, just put a garbage/plastic bag inside as a liner. Your stuff will be dry.

No, they aren't, so why are most backpacks made out of a nylon or nylon blend? What's a good pack that's not made of nylon?

And, can I apply a waterproofing agent to my nylon backpack, specifically on the plastic zippers and seams?
    http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/p...y-pack/product

I have seal line boundry packs which are completely water proof but they really don't carry as a back pack worth a shit, where they are handy is field work for carrying a lunch and extra clothes not too far from the truck or for gear on a raft

you can try some seam grip or aqua seal on the seams of a regular BP but the best thing is to use plastic bags & ziplocks in your backpack

Some good info in here, especially from Big Steve, thanks folks.

XXX-er, you make a good point which I had thought about. I'm just going to compress my down jacket (and anything else that needs to stay dry) and put it in a ziplock bag to make sure it won't wet out when it's at the bottom of my pack and the ballistic nylon soaks thru. Those are some interesting dry bag/backpack combos there from seal line that look like they'll be great for trail work in the summer.

'm just going to compress my down jacket (and anything else that needs to stay dry) and put it in a ziplock bag to make sure it won't wet out when it's at the bottom of my pack and the ballistic nylon soaks thru
    You need one of these.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/ac...y-sack-1l.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Let me guess. First season in Utah. Your shit won't get wet in your pack here.

I've messed around with waterproofing packs; as Big Steve suggests, it's a loosing battle. I also know two people who have had Arc'T waterproof packs that began leaking after reasonable use, but long before the end of its life. Packs take too much abuse from being stuffed and abraded.

Pack covers are an okay option. The problem is they don't keep your stuff dry when you are accessing the pack, don't work if you have odd, or sharp objects on the outside of the pack, like skis, Ice ax, helmet, fly rod, etc..., limit access to side pockets or lid pockets, and don't stop water from soaking through the back panel.

Pack liners are another option. I know Sea to Summit makes them, or you could DIY one with Tyvek. They don't keep the pack dry, so you have to deal with water weight gain and the fact that it may stay wet in high humidity, or freeze in cold temps. But, you have full access to the pack, no limitations on function, and the ability to segregate wet items from dry inside the pack. Just a more refined version of ziplocks and garbage bags.

If you use ziplocks, make sure you get most of the air out, or they tend to pop/open while stuffing your pack, or sitting on it.

No they are not, here is some good information on waterproof backpacks and materials. https://www.marineapproved.com/best-...oof-backpacks/

Wow. Some obvious facts are currently not obvious. Again.
    . . .

trash compactor bag on the inside to protect sleeping bag, down jacket, some clothes. less likely to pop than other garbage bags, reusable for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    trash compactor bag on the inside to protect sleeping bag, down jacket, some clothes. less likely to pop than other garbage bags, reusable for a while.
    Fishpond, Simms, and I think Patagonia each make a pretty similar backpack targeted at fly fishermen. Definitely very waterproof. I have the Fishpond sling version and it is pretty great. Big burly waterproof zipper.
    It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel.

Hiked the Virgin Narrows with dry bags for sleeping bag, clothes inside a regular backpack. A side benefit of dry bags is that if there is a little air trapped in them the pack provides excellent flotation when you have to swim a stretch.