Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st AT Setup

1st AT Setup

So I've decided to get an AT setup. I'm an intermediate skier that has been using the BD Verdicts for the past few years. I'm currently in WA so it will be the cascades this winter, but will be moving back to E. Idaho next year where I plan on skiing mostly in the Teton range. I've debated keeping my Verdicts, but they seem a little too stiff and unforgiving for my liking. What do you guys suggest? It seems like I can get a decent deal on K2 Coombas, Dukes, and Scarpa Spirit 3's. Would that be a good combo for touring? Would the spirits be ok with the dukes? I've also considered the K2 sidestash and darkside but am still leaning toward the Coombas. Help me out if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.

Just another note, I'm not naive to the backcountry. I've been tele skiing for the past few years and have had avy courses (I'm scared to death of those things), beacon, probe, shovel, practice, experience, etc. This was my first year in WA and I had a blast climbing Hood, Rainier, Adams, and lesser peaks. I took my skis up Adams and enjoyed skiing the 6000 vertical down the last weekend in July, but I'm an intermediate telemark skier and every time I borrow a set up alpine skis I feel more confident and would really like to ski more while coming down some of the volcanoes and would feel more comfortable coming down Baker, Rainier, etc. with an AT setup over a tele setup.

Sounds like a fine setup, but I'd highly recommend Dynafits over Dukes.

Regarding the skis: I have the Hardsides (slightly-narrower, stiffer, slightly-heavier Coomback) and love them, but would recommend something softer for less aggressive skiers. There are many more options, but if you get a good deal on the Coomback's, that might be the way to go.

Use the Search function on this site to get some more ideas of how the Coomback's, Spirit 3s, and Duke's ski, as well as to find out more info on other options.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 10-25-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

You should really consider a tech binding over the duke. You can tour on dukes, and they ski well, but if this is a bc rig and you intend to do real vertical, do it right. Get dynafit, plums, or even the onyx.

Thanks for the advice all. Seems like most comments regarding the coombas, dukes, and spirit 3s are positive, but I haven't been able to find much about the spirit 3s coupled with dukes. If $$ weren't an option i would love to go dynafit but being in med school with a wife, son, and a daughter on the way certainly puts a limit on what i can afford. My intents for the setup are to do a few days a month when and hopefully use them on baker and rainier late spring/early summer.

The Spirit 3 boots have tech fittings, you are half way there. Get the dynaduke plates from Johndrums and you are golden. Get a tech binder later.
    watch out for snakes

How much do you weigh? I'd guess you can pick up used tech binders for the same as the Duke. If you aren't huge, and an intermediate, you don't need FT12's.

I'm with neufox. You can probably get a pair of tech binder for the same as the Duke's (may want to start a WTB post in GearSwap). But for the cost of Dukes + Dynaduke's you should easily be able to get a tech binder.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

i'm 5'10" and right around 175-180. i did just find some 09/10 coombas that were used one season (10/11) mounted with dukes for $550 which seemed like an ok price. the one thing holding me back from tech bindings is that this would be my only set of skis that will probably be used at the resort a few time a year with family. if i could afford both i would do it in a heartbeat.

The thing is, Dukes and Spirit 3s are not well matched. Heavy, burly binding vs light, soft boots. Either get burlier boots or the tech bindings.

And tech bindings will be more than adequate for "at the resort a few time a year with family."

^^^

That is a good point, there are ways to stiffen up the Spirit 3 boot but ultimately it is a tour boot.

When I had my Spirit boots I did use them at the resort with my Dfits bindings but I was careful to ski them with finesse and did not over tax them.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by yapajake View Post
    If $$ weren't an option i would love to go dynafit but being in med school with a wife, son, and a daughter on the way certainly puts a limit on what i can afford. My intents for the setup are to do a few days a month when and hopefully use them on baker and rainier late spring/early summer.
    You are lucky to be skiing at all ... just get some fritschi's

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The thing is, Dukes and Spirit 3s are not well matched. Heavy, burly binding vs light, soft boots. Either get burlier boots or the tech bindings.

And tech bindings will be more than adequate for "at the resort a few time a year with family."
    That's honestly my main concern, even with the "stiff" black tongue that can be used with the spirit 3s I'm not sure how they will match up. Anybody know what a "decent" price on tech bindings would be that would suit me?

Anybody know what a "decent" price on tech bindings would be that would suit me?
    This isn't too bad. And keep an eye on Gear Swap, and have a quick response ready.

Search Gear Swap for Dynafit to get an idea of what they're going for.

photos

If you go snowinn, be sure to check this thread: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...t-with-snowinn

Seems people got their stuff, but there are some things to be aware of before ordering.

snowinn looks like a pretty good deal, i also found the same pair of dynafit tlt vertical st (http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/dyn...-11-12/16708/p) that the seller claims were only used on 3 bc trips in 10/11. selling for $250. seems like a decent deal, maybe i could talk it down a little based on the snowinn deal. so how would those + 181 coombas + spirit 3s work for my intents of mainly bc with the occasional resort trip and the mandatory corn harvest through spring and summer?

You asked for feedback..... Coombas= pretty much a "meh" ski IMHO...friend who I tour with regularly couldn't wait to get rid of theirs . There are much better options for PNW/Cascade touring.
    Voile Chargers?????
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

The coombas are a fairly different ski from the hardside and sidestash imo. Coombas are soft and rediculously easy to ski. Hardside and sidestash are metal laminate skis that will be heavier, stiffer, but considerably more stable.

As for the binding quesiton, there tons of info out there. And it totally depends on what you to do with the setup. There isn't a correct answer necessarily.

spirit 3's, coombas and dynafits sounds like a perfect all conditions setup to me. keep your eyes peeled for some of last years maestrales, I've seen used maestrales for sale on the TGR gear swap page and they are just about the best touring boots for the money you'll spend on a used pair--or even a brand new, have them for a long time pair at less than 600.

I agree with the coombas being "meh." They are just too soft for my liking and for the heavy PNW snow. In that weight range, there are better options as already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    spirit 3's, coombas and dynafits sounds like a perfect all conditions setup to me.
    +1

Edit: but I like a softer ski, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    keep your eyes peeled for some of last years maestrales, I've seen used maestrales for sale on the TGR gear swap page and they are just about the best touring boots for the money you'll spend on a used pair--or even a brand new, have them for a long time pair at less than 600.
    Heh, you weren't too stoked about the screws falling out of yours when I ran into you in the Lupine Meadows lot last spring. But yeah, I agree with that too.

thanks to everyone for contributing and answering my questions. i do have one more though. having never been on dynafits, how do they feel while skiing compared to alpine bindings, or when compared to something like the duke?

thanks to everyone for contributing and answering my questions. i do have one more though. having never been on dynafits, how do they feel while skiing compared to alpine bindings, or when compared to something like the duke?
    If you're coming from telemark bindings, the Dynafits will feel plenty solid and reliable. Very strong feeling boot-binding connection IMO. That was my experience.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

I'm on Coombas & freeride pros w/ spirit 4s (w/ stiff tongue). I really like this setup as a one ski quiver. As mentioned above, tech inserts on the spirits allow you to consider tech bindings later.