Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Lib Tech, GNU, Never Summer, Jones and Burton. Maybe ROME. Personally I would rather NOT carry Burton, but the big B is usually a good seller. For bindings I would go Union.
    Agree mostly...While NS and Jones make a quality product Rome would be a better choice as they are more popular, sell everything and the name is getting out there. Some riders believe in metal bindings which Rome has on lockdown. Union...yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    Congrats! Some Indy brands would definitely bring me into your store to fondle the goods, but my loyalty usually stems from great bootfitting and a great shop (for those nasty repairs/mounts I am too afraid to do myself). If you have that, I will gladly check you out sometime.
    They do both great bootfitting and great shop work in Brian's place.

Spam? No. this is stoke.

If buying the shop you worked in for 7 yrs isn't stoke I don't know what is.

Live the dream bro, godspeed.

Good luck in your new endeavour!

Good luck, man. Have always been told that it's a hell of difficult business to succeed in, and have seen a lot of evidence of that. Have kicked the idea around myself a number of times, but was always too scared. Hope your shop does really well.
    [quote][//quote]

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    stoked 4 you.
    have fun and don't let the quest for $$$$ harsh the ski stoke mellow that drove you to this endeavor
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    stoked 4 you.
    have fun and don't let the quest for $$$$ harsh the ski stoke mellow that drove you to this endeavor
    Good advice from a rare period of lucidity

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    xanax bro it's the sandy candy wonder drugs
    the only other advice is treat your employees in a manner that is win win when possible.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Just remember, the way to make money is to keep the overhead low.

Had a friend that killed a business by grabbing $20 out of the till to run to the local sub shop multiple times a day. If you are running on a 20% margin, and you grab a $20 to make a coffee run to Starpukes ever morning, that equates to the profit on $100 in sales for the day. Do that 6 days a week and you have eaten up the profit on $600 in sales, or roughly $2,400 per month. It will quickly slip through your fingers. Be frugal, pay off the purchase money quickly, and the next thing you know, you'll be rolling.

Good luck, and can you hook me up on cheap skis?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Five brands you should carry IMO would be Fortitude skis, Sick Stickz, Core Concepts, Powderhorn, and Swany ( last two you already have). Nice job and good luck. I hope everything goes really well.

Most excellent...

...I was skiing with Bri and Tara in Crystal last year when this was getting put into 5th gear. So pumped for you, and I can't wait to swing by with a case of beer at some point in the future.

Cheers to you!!
    ...our pets heads are fallin' off...

First Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    If you could carry five Brands what would they be?
    Second, Jones would be a good one, Lib is made in WA, Venture is nice but a bit of a niche product, maybe if you are doing splits? The big B is probably worth having on the wall, K2 isn't bad, they are a WA product too. If you are going to carry splitboards carry either Spark R&D or Karakoram for bindings. Karakoram is made up in WA too.

I know it's a crazy idea and all, but given where you are it would be cool if ON3P could designate you a brick and mortar flagship.

Anyway, good luck. It's something I dreamed of for years...along with buying a bike shop, or audio shop or shut down ski area. (The last one almost happened.)
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Good luck Brian!

SpoCompton area needs a good kick in the ass again with a shop. It is hard to keep things fresh and exciting with all the newest...greatest...whatever is popping up-but also keeping what is important (like a proper boot fitting). I personally think there is a lot of room for improvement with shop and consumer interaction in our region. I live in the area and if a shop started working with the community...I know word of mouth, loyality and ultimately end consumer purchasing would happen. I have a few ideas in mind that would probably be cost effective, but involves getting out into the community.

On a super spammy note, lets get together and talk about getting DPS and Trew Gear into the shop. I will PM you with my info. We can burn some turns this year on DPS and get you setup next season!

Cheers and congrats.

Wish you the best, for doing something I wish I would have done. Don't let any rough patches get between you and your wife. Having the time working there gives a great advantage though. ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the congrat

Bushman,

Hope you do end up making it through, have you been to Red before?

Nope, Got all worked up on the Groupon sale at Big Red Cats, missed that but was able to work out a good deal on a cabin and a couple of days on the cat.
    We also plan on skiing Red and White a couple of days. Good luck with the shop Mag. Are you open on Sundays?

Quote Originally Posted by milmac View Post
    SpoCompton area needs a good kick in the ass again with a shop. It is hard to keep things fresh and exciting with all the newest...greatest...whatever is popping up-but also keeping what is important (like a proper boot fitting). I personally think there is a lot of room for improvement with shop and consumer interaction in our region. I live in the area and if a shop started working with the community...I know word of mouth, loyality and ultimately end consumer purchasing would happen. I have a few ideas in mind that would probably be cost effective, but involves getting out into the community.

On a super spammy note, lets get together and talk about getting DPS and Trew Gear into the shop. I will PM you with my info. We can burn some turns this year on DPS and get you setup next season!

Cheers and congrats.
    1st Trew dealer in North America actually.... And DPS is on our radar. We should definitely make some turns...

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Congratulations.

Thanks again for all the positive vibes, and the input on snowboard brands.

Some snowboard background on the shop.
    - Our shop was one of the first K2 snowboard dealers in the country. The previous owner was hosting snowboard clinics on hills around town before snowboards were allowed at the resorts.

- We were a GNU and LIB dealer in 2004 when we first got to the shop. Some of you may remember a certain lack of quality control around that time. The buyer at that time decided to drop them, and of course they got super hot two years later.

- As for the big B, we did bring them in for 3 years, but got really turned off by our experiences dealing with them. Selling direct on-line to consumers for discounted prices before christmas doesn't make for good relationships with specialty stores. The stuff sold ok, but by no means was it flying off the shelves. Barring major changes we will not carry them again.

- New this year for us is Bataleon and Salomon. Salomon has done incredibly well already this year. They were probably the most requested boot in the past that we didn't carry.

- Most of our snowboard customers fall in to two categories. Teenagers whose parents are buying their equipment for them and want to but it from the same shop they get their ski gear at, or 35+ year old riders who have been long term customers of the store, or who remember the store as a kid and have come back to check it out. It seems that we don't see the 20-35 customer as much on the snowboard side. Once the parents stop buying, or the kid gets the buying decision they tend to move to the "core" snowboard shops.

- One more fact. Nobody in our area has been able to keep a snowboard only shop alive and thriving for more than a couple years...

Bobby Stainless Guest
    - One more fact. Nobody in our area has been able to keep a snowboard only shop alive and thriving for more than a couple years...
    That's probably because they don't sell Bogner and shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Nope, Got all worked up on the Groupon sale at Big Red Cats, missed that but was able to work out a good deal on a cabin and a couple of days on the cat.
    We also plan on skiing Red and White a couple of days. Good luck with the shop Mag. Are you open on Sundays?
    We are open sundays now through the weekend before Super Bowl. I don't live far from the shop though and have been known to open up for special guests... You will love Red, some of the best tree-skiing terrain anywhere. Be sure to hit up Whitewater too. Hope to see you when you come through.

congrats on the purchase.
    start a youth lessons program.
    print up some stickers and stick em all over e. wa.
    quick turn around for mounts&tunes
    get some hotties on the sales floor
    bobby

Arcade Belts - gotta love a company started by a pro/maggot that gives mags an intro deal, but then reminds late comers and jongs that they'll be supporting their retailers by selling only limited choices and at retail on their direct buy site. Go Cody!

Probably for the same reason you don't get many of those clients - cheap-ass mofos buy all their crap online and never ever tune that shit. Plus, they're too fucking smart to need any advice from some old-ass skier dude. Good riddance.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    Probably for the same reason you don't get many of those clients - cheap-ass mofos buy all their crap online and never ever tune that shit. Plus, they're too fucking smart to need any advice from some old-ass skier dude. Good riddance.
    Newbs buying online always baffled me. They have no idea what they want or what they need. They buy based off price and graphics or from what they heard was good on an online forum.

From being a shop guy for years it's insane. The more you buy the more discounts you get. Plus we get you into the right gear, right stance, mount everything up for you, give a free tune, etc. By the time all is said and done you are probably paying the same price locally, have made a good contact, possibly a new friend and at least a confidence knowing you are starting out right. Not to mention you have a place to come back to.

One year I helped this kid and his mother for an hour. Try on about 15 pairs of boots, showed him some selection of boards I thought would fit, bindings, the whole nine. I came back with a quote after all this and the mother said it was too high even though I took 15% off with a setup, stance information and a tune all for free. While I'm putting boot boxes away her kid is complaining she isn't buying it and she whispers "we'll get it online honey it will be cheaper". I almost lost my shit.

2 weeks later she comes in and asks if I can mount the bindings and adjust the straps to fit the boots. I told her to pound sand.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.