Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SUP Question - Can I use an old windsurfer board?

I'd love to get a SUP. But I'm broke. I saw this post on CL for a very old, high volume O'Brien windsrufer nearby for super cheap (like $10). My question is this. And yes, I searched but didn't really find much of an answer.

Can I use this as a low-budget SUP. Mostly for cross-training purposes on the Bay and local Sloughs, not for surfing waves. Are there major downsides or worse, dangers to doing this? I'll probably have to find something to make it grippier, and I'll need to find a paddle. I know that much.

FWIW, I've already been out on a SUP a couple times and found the basics pretty easy. I grew up with water toys (sailboats, canoes, kayaks, windsurfers (old ones like this), waterskiing, etc.) and I already have basics like a wetsuit, booties and a pfd.

Here's the ad I saw that sparked this thought: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/spo/2659996736.html

Here's a pic of the board:

I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I don't know much about windsurfers or paddle boards but at 25" wide it should be plenty bouyant. Im guessing it is thick, maybe 3"+? Is that a keel?

I don't see why not but maybe other people have better input. You could probably just use surf wax on it for grip. Good core strengthening, I say thumbs up

You could also buy grip for it

The answer is yes, depending on your height and weight. Also depends on how thick the board is. At 25" wide and 3" thick, you're talking about the size of a nose rider longboard, but an inch or two wider, and not as thick as a nose rider would be. At 12'+ long, and 25" wide, this fucker will be tippy. If you are extremely strapped for cash, try it out. Otherwise, just save your money for an inflattable model. Also, Caution sells off their demo boards regularly, and may have something cheap(~$600).
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

A buddy of mine tried using an old windsurfer for standup, it was no good , for the reason BS720 mentions, tippy as hell.
    the width dimensions for sup's tend towards 28"s to around 30", you might look at Geartrade.com, they are unloading
    shipping damaged sups on occasion, if you don't mind doing a repair. or what the hell get the wind surfer and fit out with an outrigger
    fastened to the mast step, just make sure to wear a tee shirt with KOOK printed in bold.

Hugh Conway Guest
    geartrade doesn't ship SUPs

If you can find a paddle cheap, why not? You are talking about $10. Sure it will be tippy, but if you commit, and get out on it, and learn to ride it, you'll get exercise. Bet it likes to straight line.

Is KOOK the SUP equivalent to JONG?

Thanks for the input.

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I'm going to grab the board. Now I need to find a cheap paddle.

-snowsprite

This thread should be in the Kayak fourm.

they make outriggers for kayaks that hug the side of the kayak, for standing up while fishing.
    I bet they would work on that setup.
    Not like you are racing it or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post

Thanks for the input.
    Pretty Much, except it's not specific to SUP but more surfing in general. Or you cold throw in a "Barney" from time to time, it keeps your lingo from going stale with all the cool kids.

Would play it again sports have paddles? Might be a place to check out for something reasonably priced.

Nah, it's an phrase of endearment of the surfing world, hey you could take a skilsaw and rip
    this thing down the centerline glue it back together with 4" sheet of eps foam and glass
    it with epoxy, that might make a good TR?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post

Gimp Central or Summits

alot like the real estate bubble

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Got me thinking, that this might just be a SUK.

good one

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    I'd love to get a SUP. But I'm broke. I saw this post on CL for a very old, high volume O'Brien windsrufer nearby for super cheap (like $10). My question is this. And yes, I searched but didn't really find much of an answer.

Can I use this as a low-budget SUP. Mostly for cross-training purposes on the Bay and local Sloughs, not for surfing waves. Are there major downsides or worse, dangers to doing this? I'll probably have to find something to make it grippier, and I'll need to find a paddle. I know that much.

FWIW, I've already been out on a SUP a couple times and found the basics pretty easy. I grew up with water toys (sailboats, canoes, kayaks, windsurfers (old ones like this), waterskiing, etc.) and I already have basics like a wetsuit, booties and a pfd.

Here's the ad I saw that sparked this thought: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/spo/2659996736.html

Here's a pic of the board:

There is really no reason why a wimdsurfer board can't make a SUP. I've seen SUPs of every kind of different shape, from basically a huge longboard for SUP surfing to something that looks like a sit-atop kayak that got squashed flat.

That particular sailboard looks like a narrower, higher performance model('cept now the sail looks decidely UN-high performance) so while it WILL have the needed flotation, it will be tippy. But you'd get used to it afer a bit.

Since you wouldn't be needing the centerboard, but will still want some sort of directional stability, you might consider attaching an old school single fin on the tail...but I don't really know much about SUPs....do they even HAVE fins?

The paddle is easy. You can always extend a paddle easily by replacing the shaft with a longer shaft.

What I don't get is besides using one in waves for surfing, why anyone would want to take one on placid water instead of a good sea kayak (or even a sit-atop....as mucha as I hate those Ps. O. S.). I mean the dynamics are all wrong. You could move through the water much stronger, faster and more efficiently in a kayak because your thighs are braced and and you can just plain put way more "go juice" into moving the craft than on an SUP. It's just plain a better way to move through the water.

I guess it can give your abdomen and thighs a workout, though, as they are the direct translation of force to the hull for moving, whereas in a kayak, your butt and thighs are the agents of force translation.

Ten bucks??? Including sail and centerboard??? If it floats, you've got a good deal !!

--
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 10-25-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

//\\ Exactly. Works the core pretty hard. Balance plus locomotion makes you work hard. I've kayaked plenty. The added challenge of staying balanced seems to work more fine motor skills.

And I'm guessing it has a skeg, in addition to the centerboard. I've never seen a windsurfer that didn't have one.

-snowsprite

So, my SUP history, not that you asked. I bought a takayama whatever the fuck he makes. Aiha, maybe? Bought it new, 11'6", new carbon fiber paddle and deckpad. It fit running right up the middle of my synchro. I took it out one day at Dune, HMB. It was hollow and offshore, first day in the ocean. I got barreled a few times that day, and it was before I'd ever gotten a barrel on a surfboard. Scared the shit out of me. Sold it the next week, never looked back. I love the concept, but every time I see one in the lineup I'm always giving them the stinkeye.
    Last edited by BS720; 10-26-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Hugh Conway Guest
    whats the concept? A cheap, easily maintainable and transportable boat to dick around on? plenty of other choices

Core strengthening, yes it's about being core

why not just use it with the centerboard deployed? that'd take care of the tippy a little bit, no?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I think windsurfing with do the core thing.
    so windsurf,
    build your core,
    get spansered,
    buy a real sup.

some of those beginner ws boards were really wide if you could find a wide board ??

the dagger board in the pic is the stocker, I made a high wind DB out of hardwood, cut it out with a scroll saw & profile using a belt sander treat with oil ...looked really good

That board is tippy. Used to have one a hundred years ago. It has a "v" shapped hull, not good for planning or surfing. Called it, "the log". But for $10, you can't go wrong.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!