Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2011/12 BC Interior stoke thread

Someone has to start it because winter has come to the mountains around here.

Proof:

Obviously PhotoShopped. A serious journalistic no no.

What's the latest from the hill? Anything new this season?

Here? No winter yet.

There? Just barely. Now that successful interior stoke has been provided, contemplating packing up the truck & hitting the road for a few days....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2015.jpg 
Views:	2658 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	102066  
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Obviously PhotoShopped. A serious journalistic no no.

What's the latest from the hill? Anything new this season?
    There's not really anything new of interest to mags. The big thing this year is a new beginner area and tubing park at the base. That and the new hotel and wine bar. The focus is on families right now so us bums will have to make do with what's already up there. Poor us...

I'm moving to Revy this year at the start of December. Really stoked to explore all the big terrain around there. Hopefully I can meet a few of you mags and share some turns. Those photos up top are looking gooood!!!!!

Thanks for posting! I was wondering about that particular area.

good stuff! So ready for winter!
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Never ridden up there but BC looks sick. Definitely on my list.

Hope you guys have a good winter.

By stoke do you mean the 'stoke or "stoked?" Regardless I caught some webcam footage of Silver Star with a few CM at the top the other day. I think she's all gone now though.

One thing that sucks about 'stoke is the height difference. They get snow so early but you can't ride it because the bottom is balmy. I don't think they open till Dec even.

I might have to take a trip to Marmot in mid Nov.

twp, are you on roberts there?

stoke, not 'stoke. the only time you call revy the stoke is when you use a surfer dude voice.

snow on the ground here in the koots this morning. it was more of an 'oh'. not quite ready, still have to put away my gardening stuff and take the greenhouse down.

The revy webcams have been showing snow the last few days. I'm getting there at the end of November. I'll definitely be looking for people to get out with.

Thanks for starting this thread Alex. That tour was amazing yesterday, hopefully we can still get up that high with the truck next weekend.

I was waiting for this! Thanks! How low down is the snow line? Nice shots, I will be up next saturday.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    twp, are you on roberts there?
    Yep, last week looking at a light dusting that survived the afternoon sun. Sounds as though that light dusting made it down to Rossland last night...
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Man, I need a split board ;(

Oh well at least I got this to look at.

http://imgur.com/c4P9L

Man I need a splitboard and to learn how to backcountry, hah.

looks great! Got some similar turns in the Rockies yesterday. I'll be moving to Rogers Pass/Revelstoke from December to April, and will definitely be looking for Revy people to ski the hill/backcountry with

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    I was waiting for this! Thanks! How low down is the snow line? Nice shots, I will be up next saturday.
    I can't say for sure, but I would say there's snow down to 1,500m these days - maybe a little lower. We were able to start skinning from the parking lot. The snow was boot deep from the glacier to the bottom of the meadows. The base was probably about 20cm deep and I didn't hit any rocks until we got back to the trail. Skiing out on the trail was another question. It got dicier and dicier the closer we got to the parking lot and I ended up walking the last 100 metres, though snowblader skied the whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    I can't say for sure, but I would say there's snow down to 1,500m these days - maybe a little lower. We were able to start skinning from the parking lot. The snow was boot deep from the glacier to the bottom of the meadows. The base was probably about 20cm deep and I didn't hit any rocks until we got back to the trail. Skiing out on the trail was another question. It got dicier and dicier the closer we got to the parking lot and I ended up walking the last 100 metres, though snowblader skied the whole way.
    Man that's so sweet, as a total noob to backcountry, just wondering do you take all avalanche gear and stuff this early in the season? How long does it take you to ski to the point where you ride down?

thanks for the beta. I think I will throw my sled in the back of the truck just in case. we will be up on sat, might wear our costumes for shits and giggles.

I'm thinking of heading to said zone tomorrow. Any Revelstokians interested?
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

Its about time!

Been pretty dry in the Okanagan. Great for biking and trail running, but it might be a while before making some local turns. This is an early morning phone pic on a run up to the top of Big White on sunday. It is taken somewhere along the t bar line.

Hey Wiibert, was thing of checking it out on Friday if you, or anyone else, is off then...

Jenzo, it depends on where you are skiing. Doing preseason stuff on the hill, you should be fine to leave it home, but I'd try and bring it along on every trip. It really doesn't weigh much and if you come across some some great unexpected snow and terrain, you'd be kicking yourself for leaving it.
    If you are ever in kelowna, drop be union cycle and ski and say hi. We have a few split boards for rent if you ever want to try it. (great for these early season conditions

And for some Spam again. Tis the season... Octoberhaus at the shop. Corner of spall and Springfield in kelowna. Drinks, muchies, discounts, and best of all, the prizes. Giving out a 5 day package for Sol mountain, along with other prizes. This Thursday, 6:30 till whenever.... Thanks!

Went and checked out Revelstoke's worst kept early season secret solo today. 5 of us in the area total. HS 50-100cm on the glacier, the exit gully is perfectly skiable. The only rock I hit all day was on the way up, but there are plenty to be found if you try hard enough. The trail out is a bit exciting, I put my skins back on for the final few hundred m's.

I have little to add that's productive. I poked at the shrungd a bunch and hit nothing but snow with my probe. Looks like somebody found an ankle biter crevasse right near the bottom.

Oh, anybody thinking of travelling that way during the week should bring a radio. I encountered a bunch of logging trucks all the way to KM 29.

Alive (and Crank), I could be convinced to head back. Lets talk later.
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

Thanks man! How was the road at the top. It's been a shit show before with a bit of snow and stuck trucks. Think it will be worth bringing a sled? I am way to lazy this time of year, don't want to walk any further then I need to .

And sorry for bringing half of vernon on sat......

Snow's sticking down low in Revelstoke today. Anyone thinking of checking out our worst kept secret this weekend better have a truck with some serious snow tires as a minimum.

If this keeps up a sled might be the only option for getting anywhere close to the parking area.