Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just bumping this thread since I didn't want to make a new one, and I'm sure at least a few SLC mags' feet are hurting.

Upon recommendations in this thread, I took my ill-fitting Cochise boots to Earl at the Sports Loft. He took a long look at my foot (Charges $35 just to look, which is later applied to any purchase/fitting), and told me that the cochise was not the right fit for my foot- it was too wide.

I've really been feeling like I should try a 130 flex, narrower boot anyway, and he fit me into some Tecnica Inferno 130s. He didn't pressure me to buy them in the store, I got a deal on them elsewhere. When I got the boots in the mail, I brought them in, because I thought that I needed some punching in the toe. After some more time/discussion with Earl, he recommended that I NOT get them punched (knowing full well that I was prepared to pay~$200 for a fitting). Sure enough, after 5 days of skiing, the liners have packed out to an almost perfect level.

Since I was saving money on the bootwork, I opted for custom orthotics that Earl builds in-store. They were very expensive ($260) and I'm on a tight budget, but I figured a perfect-fitting boot is nearly priceless. Also, I trusted Earl enough based on previous dealings that he wasn't trying to sell me a piece of junk, but really thought that they would benefit me. After making the footbeds (a really cool process), he put a custom footbed in one boot and a stock footbed in the other. I put both boots on, and I could immediately see the difference. When bending my knee inward (as if to initiate a turn), the boot with the orthotic immediately went on edge, whereas the stock footbed took about 3 inches of knee motion before I got the boot (and hypothetical ski) on edge. It was an awesome visual for the big increase in lateral accuracy that these footbeds gave me.

after skiing them for 5 days, I'm totally blown away. I would seriously estimate these boots to make me at least 20% better at skiing. I'm more confident at hucks, I hold wayyyy better edges railing hardpack, and I can shut speed down way faster. I'd been going about finding a good-fitting boot for a few years, and I can't express how glad I am that I finally ponied up the cash for a perfect boot.

Ultimately, this intended to encourage those of you lacking an ideal alpine fit to give it a try, if you can possibly afford it. It's also intended to give a BIG shout out to the Sports Loft. They ARE ludicrously expensive, but with that high pricetag, you get amazing boot fitting knowledge from a guy that's been in the game for 30 years, and there's very little pressure to buy anything.

Ok so... GO SEE OC AT INKLINE
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    I retract any recommendation I've made for The Sports Loft. See this thread for details. Go to Inkline.
    Says the link is invalid? I'd love to know why as I am thinking of heading to either Sports Loft or Inkline and would like to know what turned you off to Sports Loft. I've only heard good things about both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    Jeremy and I were actually talking about Feig while he was fitting my boots. I saw Feig at the Alta clinic when I tore my ACL a few years back and he gave me boot recommendations. FWIW, Jeremy arrived at the same general conclusion about what boots are right for me. The dude knows his stuff. All future boot business I have will be at Sport Loft.

Ok this is a bit funny to read on 10/8/12...
    Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Says the link is invalid? I'd love to know why as I am thinking of heading to either Sports Loft or Inkline and would like to know what turned you off to Sports Loft. I've only heard good things about both.
    please tell me you jest.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Seeing as this thread is old and I couldn’t find anything much newer,

what are the good recommendations now adays?

Inkline or sports loft...still pretty much the same...

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    zo @ dph has been solid with me
    and if i woulda just taken my hawx 130 xtd and gots intuition liners from the gets go
    stead of fuckin round with them cheese dick liners and dyiing my shit
    my feet oud be in much better shapes right now
    not that earl and inkline arent goods
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    zo @ dph has been solid with me
    and if i woulda just taken my hawx 130 xtd and gots intuition liners from the gets go
    stead of fuckin round with them cheese dick liners and dyiing my shit
    my feet oud be in much better shapes right now
    not that earl and inkline arent goods
    Another good suggestion. Have heard good things about dph. Put em on the list.

Chris and Mandy at Inkline do a great job. I can't imagine getting boot work anywhere else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    Chris and Mandy at Inkline do a great job. I can't imagine getting boot work anywhere else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Only issue I have with inkline is that they try to charge $100 for a liner mold. I mean really? You put the liner in the oven and then in the Shell and ask customer to stand there for 30 min. That's worth $100?

Hit level 9 for liner molds if you're not doing DIY. $20

Zo at the Deep Powder House is great. Sports Loft is solid BUT, only shop I know of that charges for boot work for boots they sell. That's right, spend $800 for a pair of boots and every punch, pad etc will cost your dearly. I had to spend another $150 to get them right. Earl who started The Sports Loft is semi retired, his son Jeremy runs the shop. When I bought my boots they asked if I wanted them to check to see if the bindings needed to be adjusted. I made the mistake of saying the skis are in the truck so I brought them in. They turned the screw 1/2 a turn, then did a binding release check and charged me $40 after I had just spent $800 on boots and $220 on custom insoles. By the time I was done I spent $1200. The boots fit great, no knock there.

BTW, last year my wife broke a buckle on her K2 boots she also bought from the SL. Could not find one online so I was forced to go to the Sports Loft, one buckle was $40.

Lastly about the DPH or Motherlode (same owner) inside the Gold Miners Daughter. I bought a new pair of boots from them last spring, my K2's from the Sports Loft had 300 days on them. I bought them late season 50% off. Charlie & Colby did a great job of fitting the boots, put in a metatarsal pad so I did not have to get custom insoles and they did a couple of punches, no additional charge. If you are a regular, give those guys a couple of twelve packs during the season and they will do you a solid.

BTW, I stripped the buckles off my K2's in case my wife needed one and sure enough another buckle broke this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Zo at the Deep Powder House is great. Sports Loft is solid BUT, only shop I know of that charges for boot work for boots they sell. That's right, spend $800 for a pair of boots and every punch, pad etc will cost your dearly. I had to spend another $150 to get them right. Earl who started The Sports Loft is semi retired, his son Jeremy runs the shop. When I bought my boots they asked if I wanted them to check to see if the bindings needed to be adjusted. I made the mistake of saying the skis are in the truck so I brought them in. They turned the screw 1/2 a turn, then did a binding release check and charged me $40 after I had just spent $800 on boots and $220 on custom insoles. By the time I was done I spent $1200. The boots fit great, no knock there.

BTW, last year my wife broke a buckle on her K2 boots she also bought from the SL. Could not find one online so I was forced to go to the Sports Loft, one buckle was $40.

Lastly about the DPH or Motherlode (same owner) inside the Gold Miners Daughter. I bought a new pair of boots from them last spring, my K2's from the Sports Loft had 300 days on them. I bought them late season 50% off. Charlie & Colby did a great job of fitting the boots, put in a metatarsal pad so I did not have to get custom insoles and they did a couple of punches, no additional charge. If you are a regular, give those guys a couple of twelve packs during the season and they will do you a solid.

BTW, I stripped the buckles off my K2's in case my wife needed one and sure enough another buckle broke this year.
    Yeah sports loft is for sure "a la carte" and that's a big downfall imho. Inkline stands behind their punches. Not cheap either though, but "lifetime" warranty on punches. I don't know what they do there if you buy boots from them. I assume boot work included, but who knows. I rarely buy boots retail.