ATOMIC BLOG 177, A 180 lb skier

ATOMIC BLOG 177, A 180 lb skier
    I have a chance to get the Blogs at the 177 length at a great price. Will i fare okay on the shorter ski? Its the only size i can get. I figure we are talking only a three inch difference and underfoot they are the same width so i should be okay. How do the two lengths compare and will i be able to ski the shorter effectively in the pow?

it depends on what your definition of, "pow","ski" and "effectively" are ...

great price? buy them, and if you don't like, sell them . . . glad you found tech talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.

Haha thanks. Yeah GREAT price. I just want to be able float really well on a big powder day, and not be divebombing to the bottom of the powder like my 74mm under waist nordicas do. And I just want to be sure that its not a life changing difference in float between the 177 and 185

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    it all depends on where your at in the balls to the walls - sand in the vag tgr scale of Eskiing ability
    most jongs rock it ball to the mouth
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    it all depends on where your at in the balls to the walls - sand in the vag tgr scale of Eskiing ability
    most jongs rock it ball to the mouth
    totally right, if you're going balls to the walls you're gonna feel like youre skiing a real short ski (rocker brother!). find a way to get the next size up!

My 120 lb girlfriend skis s7's that size, you should be fine.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Does anyone in this site actually answer questions or just make fun of people for being bad skiers though they know NOTHING about the person? Affirms that 90% of skiers/snowboarders under the age of 30 are extremely unintelligent. Any actual information on this ski and the sizes for a guy my size would be much appreciated.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    GAPICSKI JONG THIS AINT THE DRUIDS YOU'S LOOKIN 4
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Do yourself a favor and read around a bit. Try searching. No reason getting all menstrual about it. They will ski short, but if they're practically free, why not?

Height would also be something besides weight to consider. If you are 6'1", well that is going to be really short and you will be going over the tips often. If you are 5'5" 180, maybe go on a diet, but also the ski would probably be a good length for you.

Additionally, where are you skiing? East coasters tend to ski lengths that are much shorter than you would see at a big Western resort.
    Thanks Shane

Thanks shane,
    thats good input. unfortunately I am 6'3" So although i may not need to lose weight this ski will probs be waaay to short? I really just want to use it as strictly a big powder day ski. I would like to get Rocker II, but just couldnt pass on the price for the blogs.

you should be thanking shane

jong

"some girl signed it, her name was Babe Ruth"

As someone 3 inches shorter than your 6'3", 177 is going to be way short unless you are a total beginner. And if you are, why are you looking for a dedicated powder ski? It may be a good deal but you'll be wasting the money so just save up and get something more appropriate to your size.

Quote Originally Posted by csolf View Post
    Does anyone in this site actually answer questions or just make fun of people for being bad skiers though they know NOTHING about the person? Affirms that 90% of skiers/snowboarders under the age of 30 are extremely unintelligent. Any actual information on this ski and the sizes for a guy my size would be much appreciated.
    You'll find that there are plenty of folks around here over the age of 30. Read the rules and stop whining.

the wrong ski at a great price is still the wrong ski

you will sink and go over the bars-two things most people buy powder skis to avoid

i second the motion to save your cash.

If you are looking for a strictly big pow day ski I wouldn't recommend that ski to anyone in any size/weight. In your size/weight I wouldn't recommend that ski in that size for anything really. I've tested the blog in 183 (only on groomers) and it felt short. I am 165lbs 5 10 and recently bought bentchetler 192's. I'm not trying to dick wave but I don't believe in short pow skis, especially if there is any rocker. This is tech talk and that is my anonymous internet advice. Can't go wrong with Atomic skis though, 4 pairs in the last 4 years and I've loved them all. I did get a 183 100mm waisted atomic to ski light pow and that thing sank like no other, skis hardpack like a pro (as well as park).

I'm 5'8" 145lbs and sold my 177cm Blogs because they were too short for me. They were a great ski and I'd love to have a pair in the 183 length as a daily driver, but I'd never consider it as my pow ski. Go longer, wider, stronger, harder, blacker...