Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Universal Ski Jig

Local guy here in Portland, ME is making these. Fondled one today, looks pretty good.

http://www.allskijig.com/

Probably could work out a group buy if there's any interest.

You'd have to mount a lot of skis yourself to justify the $365 price tag. A damn good idea though.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Get that group buy price down to 420 pennies per jig
    i'm in
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

You'd have to be doing quite the volume of work to justify spending $350, over the SVST Custom mounting jig at only $35.

http://www.svst.com/svst1.aspx?Categ...d-7fd32e966748

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    You'd have to be doing quite the volume of work to justify spending $350, over the SVST Custom mounting jig at only $35.

http://www.svst.com/svst1.aspx?Categ...d-7fd32e966748
    Agreed. It seems like the Allski jig would be bomber for getting the center line down though. Definitely not for the casual user.

I want it. I want it now! That would beat the trial and error method of using misc. Jigs to find that perfect hole spacing.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

What is the attraction of such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Agreed. It seems like the Allski jig would be bomber for getting the center line down though. Definitely not for the casual user.
    Agreed to both. You would have to be very careful to get the lateral measurement between holes correct and it doesn't help you decide the spacing between the heal and toe of the binding, so all it can really do for you is find the centre

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    What is the attraction of such a thing?
    I think a quicker and more fool proof way to find ski center and be certain holes are properly aligned and parrallel.

Freehand works fine, and for the price of the allski jig, will continue to do so. Hats off to the guy for coming up with something that seems like decent step between freehand and a dedicated jig, now someone need to make it more economical.

The svst jig doesn't seem like it will help find center, only ensure your holes are vertical and not wandering.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    The svst jig doesn't seem like it will help find center, only ensure your holes are vertical and not wandering.
    I've always thought that it was easier to find center (micrometer) than freehand drilling the holes straight and tight, so I'm looking for that SVST jig. (ping Alpinord?)

Why wouldn't I be better off with a drill press and some sort of a vice setup? Seems like I'd end up with a more versatile tool for less (or if I get a nice vice, the same) money.

Seems to me that you'd still be spending an appreciable amount of time locating the jig over your holes and that all this would do would help ensure your drill bit is going in vertically, which is not difficult to do freehand... seems like a waste of money to me.

The point of a jig, imo, is to locate the holes in the right place, and this doesn't really do that.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I was wondering what had happened to it:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...g-Jig-(sort-of...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuEKEhfJcrc
    Rather surprising price.
    As with its previous name, the apparent lack of fore/aft spacing means that the center hole offers absolutely no advantage over grabbing any random old jig with a center hole.
    A jig that replicate any L<>R spacing is nice -- I've gotten lucky mounting two different brands of rando race heels for which I just happened to have a jig that replicated the L<>R spacing. But for $365?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Seems to me that you'd still be spending an appreciable amount of time locating the jig over your holes and that all this would do would help ensure your drill bit is going in vertically, which is not difficult to do freehand...
    It's easy to get vertical enough for almost all bindings by freehand, but I mount mostly NTN and Dynafit bindings and the screws have to be dead vertical for those. For NTN the binding won't slide on the plate, and for Dynafits the alignment can be off if the holes aren't dead vertical. So that SVST jig has a lot of appeal since I lost my shop jig privileges. Cheaper than a drill press, which is also under consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    It's easy to get vertical enough for almost all bindings by freehand, but I mount mostly NTN and Dynafit bindings and the screws have to be dead vertical for those. For NTN the binding won't slide on the plate, and for Dynafits the alignment can be off if the holes aren't dead vertical. So that SVST jig has a lot of appeal since I lost my shop jig privileges. Cheaper than a drill press, which is also under consideration.
    for a pretty good drill stop/drill guide I use a wine bottle cork, I find being able to hold the drill at the bit end gives way more control and the amount of drill bit you let protrude from the bottom of the cork keeps you from drilling too deep

don't drink the wine and immediately drill ... wait a day

The drill I use (craftsman I think) has a leveling bubble on the back of it so that when you drill you can be sure that you are vertical. My bench was built flat and I have shims to adjust if necessary over the years of abuse it takes.
    I use a micrometer to verify center prior to center punching the holes thru the paper templates I have been using with no issues.
    Like the idea kind of but not the price.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

Apparently the price has come down to $279.00. http://www.allskijig.com I wish it had two guide rows instead of just one. That way you could set up a toe or a heel and drill all four holes at once. If I want to buy an actual manufacturer's mounting jig, who sells them? How do I buy one?

this seems like a bettre product perhaps
    http://www.plinyequipment.com/products/jigarex

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...+your+own+skis

This ^and Jondrum's templates. $279 for Heady Topper or whatever your brew of choice is. If you're really obsessive get a drill press at Harbor Fright...it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    Agreed. Great product and made by maggots.

JigaRex for the win
    . . .

Priced at 199.00. Has anyone used one?

Haven't used my Jigarex yet, but I'm a tool snob and it's a nice piece. Normally I mod pretty much anything I buy, but the only I'll mod I'll make to the Jigarex is adding some little c-clamps to make 100% sure the plates don't move on the frame after the first hole is drilled.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 09-28-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Unless you need to mount lots of bindings, I don't get these products? Like the other thread said "mount your own fucking skis." If you have any fear, bring your shit to a shop. Heck, I own a drill press and never bother using it for mounting bindings. Of course, I'm usually drunk and don't care.

My next mount will be a set of pivots on a pair of devastators.

Just saw this in the back pages of backcountry and wondered how It was working for people.
    Built these skis with my sons.40 bucks to shop mount. Might not ever build another pair or might make 10?? Jig would be nice. Have a drill press, will probably use paper templates

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1411957282.845813.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	158650

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    That looks really nice and if I was a small shop owner I'd have a couple of these kicking around. Does it come shipped with some Pliny the Elder too?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Unless you need to mount lots of bindings, I don't get these products? Like the other thread said "mount your own fucking skis." If you have any fear, bring your shit to a shop. Heck, I own a drill press and never bother using it for mounting bindings. Of course, I'm usually drunk and don't care.
    Agreed. I've never used my drill press. That is way too much work and more difficult I would think. But I'm pretty much done 'mounting my own fucking skis'...six/twelve pack is easier and then stone grinders become available too!