Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater
    Just food for thought...

What do we carry all this stuff for?
    Because i need more of a workout more than anything. jen tells me to carry more of the gear to slow me down, that's why i carry extra heavy shit.

I hope I never have to use most of the stuff i carry...EVER!

I agree with having the 'necessities' like shovel and probe quick access. People alsways have somethign to say about my shovel but if needed, its out and ready to use faster than most.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

So, I was wondering how important the basic avy safety kit is.

ya know, the one with inclinometer, snow crystal card, thermometers, magnifying glass etc...

I was told I wouldn't be digging pits. But was thinking "What?" Wouldn't I at least need an inclinometer for slope steepness and a ruschblock cord for testing stability in dug pits?

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski
    So, I was wondering how important the basic avy safety kit is.

ya know, the one with inclinometer, snow crystal card, thermometers, magnifying glass etc...

I was told I wouldn't be digging pits. But was thinking "What?" Wouldn't I at least need an inclinometer for slope steepness and a ruschblock cord for testing stability in dug pits?
    who told you that you wouldn't be digging pits and for what (job, recreation, etc)?

i find that i dig pits when something interesting is going on or if i'm unfamiliar with the area. i don't use a r-block cord, instead a cornice rope or saw works fine for me. as for the cards and glass, i use them when i want to identify and track a particular layer. you really don't need to have those to tell if you want to ski a slope. it's pretty obvious from slope history, current events and a quick feel of the snowpack. just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater
    Just food for thought...

What do we carry all this stuff for? For that race against time that we hope will never happen, where every second counts, where adrenaline and panic will be pumping through your veins and you want to do as little "thinking" as possible. Hopefully training will make protocol automatic to the greatest extent possible, familar partners and predetermined rolls expedite rescue execution, and communication is well practiced. Quite simply, variables are the enemy.

Because of this, I choose to carry my shovel assembled but compacted (handle not extended) and probe on sidestrap of my bag, ready to be pulled in a second. Now I know this only gives me maybe 20 seconds on those of who carry shovels disassembled and probes in the handles, assuming they're not frozen and assemble seamlessly. But after a rescue, I'd hate to wonder if 20 seconds would have made the difference. If you're going to carry it, why not be ready as possible to use it? What's the cost? Yes, I might bang my helmet on the end of the shovel if I crash hard enough. But that's really about it.

Not hatin', just food for thought.

Good point, but I like my gear inside of my pack, so I know it'll be there when I go for it. I would never trust having crucial gear strapped to the outside of the pack, in that it could fall off under a variety of scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski
    Good point, but I like my gear inside of my pack, so I know it'll be there when I go for it. I would never trust having crucial gear strapped to the outside of the pack, in that it could fall off under a variety of scenarios.

i know too many people that have lost important gear on the outside of the pack. i think it can be lashed there secure and safely but i'd feel better having mine mostly on the inside. ask tri-u about his gear that was lashed on the outside of his pack on his summer trip with the t-tips guys.

remember that you may need your gear to help yourself out if you take a nasty tumble down the hill. things have a way of falling off when you need them most.

edit: i like the shovel pocket that sits outside the main pocket but is sucure to the pack.

Understood. I've never lost anything aside from a snowsaw and I'm pretty sure I lost that in the deep rubble of my car. If the gear is really secure yet still more accessible, I'll take it.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze
    who told you that you wouldn't be digging pits and for what (job, recreation, etc)?

i find that i dig pits when something interesting is going on or if i'm unfamiliar with the area. i don't use a r-block cord, instead a cornice rope or saw works fine for me. as for the cards and glass, i use them when i want to identify and track a particular layer. you really don't need to have those to tell if you want to ski a slope. it's pretty obvious from slope history, current events and a quick feel of the snowpack. just my opinion.

See that's what I thought too. Definitely following slope history current weather events helps as well.

I don't think the guy knew what he was talking about. And if he did He was just trying to save me money.

Bump. Good info in here.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    bump
    jong
    she was deep had to dig hard and with effective tecnique to bring here back to the surface
    cool thing is theres probably a lot of post from peeps who no longer post so adding to this instead of starting a new thread increases the knowledge base and puts it in one thread
    thanks for understanding
    BRO
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I need a bigger pack. mine was sufficient for short outtings like 1/2 day but thats about it. Whenever I skied out of a patrolled area I always had:

Ortovox m1--has good range and an arrow indicator when things lined up
    voile telesomething shovel--lightweight compacts nicely, has a stout feel to it w/ aluminum shovel blade.
    Lifelink 300cm probe-- for deep penetration
    30m of 5mm cord--useful for a number of reasons, it was mainly intended for cornice cutting
    CPR rescue mask--never needed it but is essential imo.
    first aid kit
    shank (3" blade)--to fend off the coyotes
    compass
    and of course water and some food like clif bar or other munchy.
    seems like I'm forgetting something. maybe not

Everytime:
    Tracker Beacon
    Voile Tele Pro shovel
    BCA probe
    30' para cord
    cell phone (gotta love wasatch reception!)
    water
    lighter
    multi tool
    small signal mirror
    Crystal card/loupe
    pencil
    skins (postholing up a hill to dig your partner out if he skis second will take wayyyy too long. its my biggest pet peve when people think they can just bootpack up and help somebody in time)
    compass
    inclinometer

Academic work:
    pitbooks
    saw
    any instrument being used that day
    camera
    2nd pair of gloves
    altimeter/gps

Added or removed depending on the trip:
    emergency blanket
    med kit (I know i should have it everyday...)
    food for a meal
    sun hat
    wax for my skins

Ran into APD at the bd swap with his little guy good to see a damn fine mag
    So dumped the bd 4whatever out for warrunty

damn I haul a lot of shit uphill
    bout the only thing missins the yurzi tea thermas and a few misc safety supplies and the bag of go proes attachments oh and homemade wife bakeries
    no way in hell a dslr is fittin in there
    and the tape measure don't go
    more candles the pit kit gets ditched by feb usually or I've been makin my young buck partners carry lost my bd saw last winter need sheeth for life link and glop stops a nub a few bd volie straps on the pack and I use a pull through lock bungee to keep helmet and shell from floppy chickinin on the up
    oh and ive said it before those black velcro webbin rolls are $$ saved my ass or made shit go a lot better several times and the poles are wrapped with high $$$ od green army duct tape w/ more balin wire and a wicket for if you only knew
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I carry an 85 gallon orange trash bag.
    It spoons my shovel blade.
    Great for emergency shelter.

We use AviPacks. They hold 33 liters and weigh under 7 pounds.

New this year: 2 Big Macs, with no pickles. Heard it from a friend of a friend about a guy who loves pulling out the Big Mac while everyone else is gnawing on granola.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Ran into APD at the bd swap with his little guy good to see a damn fine mag
    So dumped the bd 4whatever out for warrunty

damn I haul a lot of shit uphill
    bout the only thing missins the yurzi tea thermas and a few misc safety supplies and the bag of go proes attachments oh and homemade wife bakeries
    no way in hell a dslr is fittin in there
    and the tape measure don't go
    more candles the pit kit gets ditched by feb usually or I've been makin my young buck partners carry lost my bd saw last winter need sheeth for life link and glop stops a nub a few bd volie straps on the pack and I use a pull through lock bungee to keep helmet and shell from floppy chickinin on the up
    oh and ive said it before those black velcro webbin rolls are $$ saved my ass or made shit go a lot better several times and the poles are wrapped with high $$$ od green army duct tape w/ more balin wire and a wicket for if you only knew
    My Lord! What size pack do you carry?? That's a lot of shit to be lugging uphill
    northern lights and southern comfort...

I don't know, a fifth of Crown Royal and a shop-Vac seem pretty standard to me.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

This thread inspired me to take a look at what I bring into the BC with me. The list below is what I bring on my person every time I'm out.

-Mystery Ranch Fuze backpack with integrated Black Diamond Avalung
    -Flylow King Hoody in a stuff sack
    -Black Diamon Mohair mix skins
    -BCA Tracker II beacon
    -BCA Tour Shovel
    -BCA 200cm back up probe in shovel handle
    -BCA Carbon 340 probe
    -Black Diamond Rip Saw with quick lock (to attach to poles)
    -Hestra Vertical Cut Freeride gloves
    -Hestra Race Tracker gloves
    -Buff
    -Hat
    -Sony Nex-3 camera and case
    -Go Pro helmet camera with extra battery
    -Oakley Splice goggles with back up low light lens
    -Arcteryx soft goggle case
    -Smith Pivot Lock v-90 max sunglasses
    -Snickers bar and Odwalla bar
    -100ft of 5mil p-cord
    -Platypus canteen
    -15 and 20 inch Volie straps
    -Midland 2x way radio
    -Mouth guard
    -Casio Commando cell phone w loaded topo maps
    -Dermatone balm

-Survival kit (which includes)
    tools- Sun screen, Gerber Vise multi tool, Petzl Ziptika Plus 2, zip ties, duck tape, strike anywhere matches, fire starter blocks, whistle, cloths pins, emergency blanket, magnesium/steel fire starter, aluminum foil, mirror
    medical- latex gloves, tissues, scissors, tweezers, various band aids, iodine, gauze, med tape, soap notes, pencil, surgical sponges, sterile pads, ibuprofen, anti-biotic ointment, benzine tincture, diphen, moleskin

Last edited by backcountry1pr; 11-22-2011 at 10:54 PM.

KEEPIN IT SIMPLE

pack= bd alias

probe
    shovel, small plastic ortovox one.
    ortovox m1 beacon
    goggles
    neck gaitor
    mitts
    800 fill down sweater
    shell
    nalgene bottle of water
    at least 1 16oz beer tall boy (whatevers cheap)
    food (sausage, egg, cheese sammy) oatmeal cream pies, fritos (gotta have salt)

top pocket

whistle
    swiss army knife
    1st aid kit= bandana and duct tape, that's it. never even had so much as a papercut in 20 years of touring, so........why start needing more now?
    sunscreen
    voile strap
    a few mounting screws

by always keeping a light pack, i avoid ever needing to go the way of dynafits

rog

why start needing more now?
    I have first responded to two bad avalanche accidents involving other parties. We know you are a pro and it can't happen to you. A Sam splint can be very handy.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I have first responded to two bad avalanche accidents involving other parties. We know you are a pro and it can't happen to you. A Sam splint can be very handy.
    only two? lucky you. sam splints, or ski poles, sticks, pack stays. it's amazing what can be used to get someone outta the woods without having to carry extra extras.

rog

Am packing for a trip. Thought of something I always carry. Hand warmers. Several people have mentioned them and SFB has them in his photos. They can save a life or at least prevent further injury.
    off your knees Louie

very few days I don't have a grip of those and pain pills and multiple fire starting implements
    cause shit like those and biners and warm puffies could be improvised but energy and time is often better used than playin the feild expidient game

oh ya, i do carry hand warmers fer sure. best things ever. my hands get cold in summer, so.........

rog

just started giving my 8yr. old hand warmers apres ski, now you guys are making ME want to use them.
    uhhhhh those are going to spoil me
    bobby f

Bump for a good thread.

BD Outlaw w/avalung
    Leatherman multitool (some extra bits for my Dynafiddles just in case something stupid happens)
    Inclinometer
    Compass
    First aid kit
    BD LED headlight
    Lighter and water resistent matches
    Dryer lint / wax / egg carton - fire starter
    Reflective blanket
    Water
    Energy gel packs and extra energy bars
    Waterproof map of the area
    Spare batteries
    MEC / Voile straps
    Ortovox Grizzly shovel (folded, no assembly needed, within pack: dedicated outter pocket)
    BD 260 CF probe (tied the protective bag inside pack: dedicated outter pocket, can draw probe straight from the pack)
    BCA Tracker 1
    BD Glidelite STS skins
    FRS radio(s)
    Small roll duct tape / hockey tape
    Small amount of lip balm / moisturizer
    Cheap / light sunglasses
    Extra light liner for gloves
    Spare pair of socks
    Small 2 pack of handwarmers
    Various zap straps
    Spare contact lens and small bottle of saline solution

Above all, just want to say +1 for planning / experience / backcountry education / intuition (not the liners, you know, that unknown sense in your head that sounds like your wife saying that you should probably shouldn't ride that line today, do it next time, it'll still be there).

I also remember hearing something along the lines of packing appropriately for the trip, but ski like you don't have any of it with you.