Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    i don't really understand the self-righteous vitriol. that is what's really de riguer around here. whatever...checking out.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    i don't really understand the self-righteous vitriol. that is what's really de riguer around here. whatever...checking out.
    sure you do. it's your posts slightly less self-involved, stripmining and positive.

some of us just want to go somewhere and have fun. we aren't in it to make a living, "live our dreams", or sell shit to someone else. So fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    some of us just want to go somewhere and have fun.
    I couldn't agree more, that is living the dream.

Here's a clip from this May on Manitoba Mountain.

WOW, thats some increadable footage, whoever was running the camera is just so smoove and buttery, its pretty much unbelievably awesome.

After reading through some of the previous posts I would like to say that having an inexpensive t-bar assisting tours into that super sick terrain get's me all fired up! I will visit and spend my money in the local communities. I am so much happier doing this and traveling all the way to AK than spending a hundred dollars on a day ticket to stand in long lift lines at some mega resort.

Very Nice!

Does anyone know what Alyeska resort is doing with the old chair 4? Where's it going?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    After reading through some of the previous posts I would like to say that having an inexpensive t-bar assisting tours into that super sick terrain get's me all fired up! I will visit and spend my money in the local communities. I am so much happier doing this and traveling all the way to AK than spending a hundred dollars on a day ticket to stand in long lift lines at some mega resort.
    I`m with the majority, I won't be going to AK to ride a T-bar as there are lots of uncrowded ski areas with less than $100 lift tickets that are cheaper to get to. However for the dozens of people who go to AK to heli-ski but get shut down due to weather, Manitoba Mountain may be a good way to occupy a down day.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    I`m with the majority, I won't be going to AK to ride a T-bar as there are lots of uncrowded ski areas with less than $100 lift tickets that are cheaper to get to. However for the dozens of people who go to AK to heli-ski but get shut down due to weather, Manitoba Mountain may be a good way to occupy a down day.
    Your obtuse paradigm must regularly get stuck in the belt driven gears of your moldy soul.

MRA has been making some progress with the Manitoba Mountain project. We have been grooming Nordic trails around the base of Manitoba. Here are some more details.

Manitoba Mountain Update-Spring 2013

interesting I rented the Manitoba cabin with a large group of friends this winter. I did not notice any grooming. The trails were well packed out by the local cabin owners and other users of the area. Could you elaborate on your relationship with Alaska Mountain and Wilderness Huts Association. I did not see a mention on their site of this big news. A side note from our trip. The 8 year old who skied Manitoba was pretty psyched with his adventure. Pretty sure he was glad the area wasn't anymore crowded than the 50 other people skiing there.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I did not notice any grooming.

That's because it was virtual gr00ming.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Here's the latest on the Manitoba Project.

Group aims for ski area reboot

The Seward Phoenix Log, November 28

So what's the latest on this epic ness Shecky?

Here's the latest on the Manitoba Mountain Ski Area Restoration Project

Fall 2014 Update

I climbed Manitoba once last year... Not entirely sure what the BC crowds hard on for it is. Its literally surrounded with other sick mountains that are so much easier to access. Would very much like to see this project happen!

I'd say a t bar to the very top of the thing isn't necessary to make it awesome, just slightly better infrastructure to access the touring... like a slightly better road, and maybe tbar up the first part. Hopefully minimizing liability to the ski area, and maximizing beginner terrain for families and such
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by MtnRA View Post
    Here's the latest on the Manitoba Mountain Ski Area Restoration Project

Fall 2014 Update
    aren't you embarrased to write that?
    Interesting since this thread began Hatcher Pass has spent millions on a new nordic facility. Your organization totally failed to get involved.
    I have to wonder about Dave Scanlon the economic visionary of the Kenai Peninsula. I am glad he is gaining management experience. In 20 years when this thing could possibly be built he will be ready to manage it. I find your reference to abundant renewable energy resources on the mountain a unique opportunity exists to make this Mountain Playground operable with 100% clean energy.
    Good luck on hydro when the river is frozen. You are totally ignoring the fact. The only thing that makes this idea reasonably feasible is the big ass power line near the mountain.
    off your knees Louie

I bet you could run micro hydro there... Also aren't there big ass power lines across the highway from the mountain? Yes there are.

This little hemorrhoid is still going?

While the idea sounds great, there isn't enough "local" or even regional support to make a go of this. Arctic Valley, on the edge of Anchorage was gifted a working ski resort and it struggles to make it each season.
    Not to mention Manitoba skis fine how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Bromide View Post
    But, but...unicorn farts!

As BFD alluded to in spring 2013, many a skier has gotten their first taste of BC on its low-angle, easy to access, relatively predictable slopes. Hell, I did twenty some odd years ago. As someone who has donated time and money to the cause, I'd much rather have the "new" hut be a basecamp for semi-wilderness adventures than a locus for "development" of the area. Since the question was never answered before, what is your relationship with Alaska Mountain and Wilderness Huts Association?

Quote Originally Posted by akdusty View Post
    Does anyone know what Alyeska resort is doing with the old chair 4? Where's it going?
    I believe it was sold to some resort in the lower 48

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    aren't you embarrased to write that?
    Interesting since this thread began Hatcher Pass has spent millions on a new nordic facility. Your organization totally failed to get involved.
    I have to wonder about Dave Scanlon the economic visionary of the Kenai Peninsula. I am glad he is gaining management experience. In 20 years when this thing could possibly be built he will be ready to manage it. I find your reference to abundant renewable energy resources on the mountain a unique opportunity exists to make this Mountain Playground operable with 100% clean energy.
    Good luck on hydro when the river is frozen. You are totally ignoring the fact. The only thing that makes this idea reasonably feasible is the big ass power line near the mountain.
    The creeks flow all winter. There is definitely micro hydro potential.

Quote Originally Posted by bigAK View Post
    But, but...unicorn farts!

As BFD alluded to in spring 2013, many a skier has gotten their first taste of BC on its low-angle, easy to access, relatively predictable slopes. Hell, I did twenty some odd years ago. As someone who has donated time and money to the cause, I'd much rather have the "new" hut be a basecamp for semi-wilderness adventures than a locus for "development" of the area. Since the question was never answered before, what is your relationship with Alaska Mountain and Wilderness Huts Association?
    We meet with several of their board members before the hut was erected. We discussed a strategic partnership but nothing was firmed up. There will be plenty of time since the Kenai Borough has selected the land and the forest plan is going through a rewrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Bromide View Post
    This little hemorrhoid is still going?

While the idea sounds great, there isn't enough "local" or even regional support to make a go of this. Arctic Valley, on the edge of Anchorage was gifted a working ski resort and it struggles to make it each season.
    The terrain at Artic Valley and the terrain just outside the proposed boundary at Manitoba Mountain are in different leagues. There are over 350,000 residents within a 2.5 hour drive, including 60,000 or so that have to try by Manitoba Mountain to get to Alyeska.