Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    maybe that's why the surveyors were practicing a probe line.
    off your knees Louie

Ironically, both photos were taken by the same person, ha.

I'm sure that's the only place in the area that's releasing because there's not really any glide cracks anywhere else either.

can we just get somebody to please please please compete with Alyeska $1200 season passes are not cool, even if you are squaw valley usa.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Ski bums will flock there and not the ones who think Vail is the end all. It's lift assisted touring out of a ski area the whole family can enjoy without breaking the bank, I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    I still think people are overlooking the fact that easy access to potentially deadly terrain is more the norm than the exception.

Arapaho Basin offers a perfect example. They have hundreds of thousands of skier visits per season (lots of them retards with fat skis and a hard on) and the Steep Gullies or Fingers or whatever you want to call them are less than a minute of downhill travel from the gate or you can duck a rope and be there instantly. The Steep Gullies have been responsible for dozens of avalanche accidents over the years and more than a half dozen fatalities but nobody seems to have an ethical dilemma because...why not...what's the difference?
    Yep, people will learn to pay attention or they might get dead. I think that's ok, we need more accountability in this damn country anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    i keep wanting to push play on that picture
    {I was thinking the same thing. I want to go.

This is the first mountain I ever skinned up. Used to stay at the cabin down at the creek until it was reclaimed by the Forest Service and summarily shuttered. Climbed that thing dozens of times.

It would be surreal to ride a chair to the top. Might ruin the mountain for me...
    -Thomas

We've been spending some time on Manitoba this week. Here are some shots.

Dropping of the north side

Another line of the north side, with Block Headwall in the background

North side with Silvertip Peak in the background

Front side corn

Looking east from the top of Manitoba Mountain towards Juneau Creek Headwall

Looking back up at the north side, two skiers on top

North side from the Seward Highway

Last light on the front side, 930pm.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matt Reardon on Manitoba Mountain, Alaska.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	819.4 KB 
ID:	115161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	north mani.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	115155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6628.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	514.3 KB 
ID:	115162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6609.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	610.6 KB 
ID:	115158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	671.9 KB 
ID:	115159  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	North Mani 2_1.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	115156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	last light manitoba_1.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	115160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scoping Lines_1.JPG 
Views:	544 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	115157  
    Last edited by MtnRA; 04-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Oh my Gawd that place looks tasty! Nice work MRA!
    Last edited by RaisingArizona; 04-29-2012 at 08:30 PM.

I may have missed it but are you guys planning on running a lift system similar to the NZ club fields, super low overhead and easy to use for this sort of application or are you thinking Tbars?
    This whole set up and approach is very simiar to Craigburn temple basin, olympus or Broken river, easy access to the op mild in bounds and mega opportunity OB. If you haven't seem them check them out as they are a great approach.

Quote Originally Posted by hellojello74 View Post
    I may have missed it but are you guys planning on running a lift system similar to the NZ club fields, super low overhead and easy to use for this sort of application or are you thinking Tbars?
    This whole set up and approach is very simiar to Craigburn temple basin, olympus or Broken river, easy access to the op mild in bounds and mega opportunity OB. If you haven't seem them check them out as they are a great approach.
    Yes, the Club Fields of New Zealand approach are something we want to infuse into our operating model. Currently, the Nutcracker is not permitted in Alaska. For the time being, we are evaluating different types of surface lifts.

I look forward to seeing your progress.
    Great shots.

Best Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MtnRA View Post
    Skiers Envision New Chugach Lift Development

KTVA, CBS News Anchorage

May 1, 2012
    See the post in the comments section relating to the article.
    "DreamWeaver said today at 9:43 AM
    So why are mechanized lifts needed here? For those too unfit and lazy to ascend the terrain under their own power? The article failed to make any mention of how Manitoba is long regarded as one of the safest road accessed back country ski touring areas along the greater Turnagain Pass and Summit Lake regions during times of considerable avalanche danger. What effect will privatizing these currently public state and federal lands have on those people that recreate there? The article also fails to mention this area was designated as a non motorized winter recreation area in the Chugach National Forest by the USFS after extensive public comment periods and input. If there is a variance granted for this mechanized winter use will the USFS also the open this terrain to snow machiners as well? Does this large user base not also deserve to expand its terrain? Alaskans be wary when Non Alaskans want to develop YOUR public lands!"
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    " Alaskans be wary when Non Alaskans want to develop YOUR public lands!"
    So...USFS land in AK belongs to AK and not to the rest of us?
    Huh?

Anyway, the thread title is so presumptuous. Premature dreaming?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

That's a load of crap. Dave Scanlan is an Alaskan and the MRA has stated that uphill travel will be allowed.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    So...USFS land in AK belongs to AK and not to the rest of us?
    Huh?

Anyway, the thread title is so presumptuous. Premature dreaming?
    Not my quote.....Dream Weaver's quote! Being a lower 48'er working in AK I do know that a lot of home grown Alaskan's feel this way about the rest of the union and lower'48'ers!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Not my quote.....Dream Weaver's quote! Being a lower 48'er working in AK I do know that a lot of home grown Alaskan's feel this way about the rest of the union and lower'48'ers!
    I know, don't you worry. It's just such typical newbie "native" crap.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Find the legislators who ski at Eagle Crest and make them your friends.
    At some point, you'll need them.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Find the legislators who ski at Eagle Crest and make them your friends.
    At some point, you'll need them.
    Yep, he's right....corrupt AK politicians in Juneau are a dime a dozen.....and they are quite cheap to buy off by national standards.

'Course, if it was a native corporation with the plan in hand...

Rhetorical question: How many skiers would have been AGAINST new lifts 20-25 years ago? Not just here, but also the different lifts proposed in the Wasatch and elsewhere? 1%? 5%? Remember, this was when ski movies had multiple inbounds segments. I just find the "skiers against ski lifts" crowd interesting, that's all. Just goes to show where the gear has taken us, I guess.

No other comment on this particular proposal other than that it looks fun to me. That and the dipshit whining about S faces needs to STFU, S faces are where it's at for much of the AK winter.

Actually I think a lot of skiers are for new lifts but where they make sense and especially where they follow the Silverton, one lift to gnar model. Conversely I think a lot of skiers are against new "resorts" and real estate condo/mountain town bullshit.

MtRA has tapped into something but I just hope they learn from the mistakes they made on the Shames debacle and actually make this work.......however Enlosandes was never a good listener and I fear he hasn't or won't.

Rhetorical question: How many skiers would have been AGAINST new lifts 20-25 years ago? Not just here, but also the different lifts proposed in the Wasatch and elsewhere? 1%? 5%? Remember, this was when ski movies had multiple inbounds segments. I just find the "skiers against ski lifts" crowd interesting, that's all. Just goes to show where the gear has taken us, I guess.
    What is your point?
    I would of been against this lift 20 years ago and I am against it now. Good thing is I do not take them seriously. I came to Alaska over 30 years ago to experience bigger mountains and wilderness. I have been displaced from areas due to conflict with other users I found incompatible with my recreation. I am raising two sons and would like to see them have the chance to experience Alaska as I have had.
    I do not really know what you are saying about the gear. People have been traveling in these areas as long as I can remember. Only difference now is there are more people and less blisters.
    As for your south face comment. Where it is at for most of the winter is where the best snow is. Since the ridges in Turnagain run east and west there is south facing skiing. However that is not even close to being where it is at for most of the Alaska winter. That is why it is so hard to get good photos in Dec.
    off your knees Louie

oy! such a fuss over a couple friggin' t-bars. there's gonna be hell to pay when somebody tries to bring heli-skiing to alaska...