Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Your memory is failing you. No wins from the Mahre brothers. Phil got a silver in the slalom, Steve did not medal in 1980.
    Maybe so...that was a long time ago, but I thought Phil got a couple golds. Winning silver isn't a win, though?
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Winning silver isn't a win, though?
    Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I thought Emmo>Little Al was pretty good.

The start of the Indy 500 is my single best event. There is nothing like the buildup and green flag to that race. Imo..
    I agree completely. One of the coolest things ever, and it got me into racing.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Definitely the freakiest thing that I was around was when a fan got killed at the 1987 Indy 500 maybe 75 feet from where I was sitting...

He was about 10 rows up from me and maybe 25-30 seats to the side. Every year his whole extended family went to Indy, he was in the middle of a bunch of them, sitting in the top row. Everybody else hit the dirt but he was turned, watching a fight in the parking lot outside. Never saw the tire coming. After it hit him it kept going and they found it quite a distance away. We saw him get taken away but didn't realize he was dead until the ext day. It was basicaly his time to die I guess, although you kinda wonder why no one in his family yelled "DUCK!". It pays to pay attention.
    Fuck.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The start of the Indy 500 is my single best event. There is nothing like the buildup and green flag to that race. Imo..
    Back in the Group C days 1st lap at Le Mans was pretty nifty too. Aaaaah Mulsanne without the chicanes
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

As commonlaw noted, we don't have much here in Seattle, but I was there and it was the loudest stadium I have ever heard. Much overlooked was the saving tackle to keep Romo from getting the first down.

I was at the Georgetown-Duke game in 2006 when unranked Georgetown upset top ranked and undefeated Duke. Georgetown was ahead for much of the game but it got tight at the end and there was an explosion from the students as G'town basketball had been bad for the last several years so no one in school then had seen an actual big win.

I'm not a true hockey fan, but the gold medal game Vancouver Olympics between Canada and the US was pretty exciting to watch. We had a great crowd at the Steeps bar at mid-station at Mammoth, then went back to skiing after drinking beers through the whole game....good times.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Fuck.......
    It was a perfect punt by Guerrero, we tracked it the whole way. We couldn't see the moment of impact but apparently it pinged him directly off the top of his dome, if he had just ducked his head 6 inches, and maybe only half that, it would've completely missed him. Crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfHUjS9YSAw

I was the first aid guy at this shoot. I almost shit my pants when Rory did this

I don't think it's the coolest, but tonight's walk off win against the Tigers was unbelievable! First walk off grand slam in MLB playoff history and the place was going absolutely bonkers.

Very cool to see the basement dwelling team I grew up watching (finally) transform into a contender.

David Wells. First perfect regular season game in Yankee Stadium history. History Making to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Greatest sports moment you witnessed live? And I don't mean on tv.

For me (besides my son's first day on skis), it was game 7 of the ALCS, Yankees vs. Red Sox in 2003. Aaron Boone's walk-off home run.
    The game was so tense that I started to get heart palpitations in the 7th inning.
    And of course, couldn't sleep a wink that night after we got home due to all the adreneline flowing through my veins.
    I saw Derek Jeter hit a walk-off HR in the 2001 WS against the DBacks. Talk about an electric stadium. They lost the series, but I'll never forget that.

or, this:

1993 Game 1, Leafs - Blues. Double OT Double wraparound. I was 10 and had a Gilmour 93 jersey. If TO ever manages to win another cup, lookout, the city went nuts.

1992 World Series , Braves-Jays, "Triple" Play, Devon White and Kelly Gruber were both my favourites at the time.

2010 Winter Olympics

Don't remember a whole lot from this night other then I was there.

Anja Paerson falling from the sky and then going onto win Bronze in the super combo the next day AND Mancuso dancing on the podium getting her silver medal that day was also pretty good. But I can't find video of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post
    ...If TO ever manages to win another cup, lookout, the city went nuts.
    Hah, I think the fair city of Toronto is safe for the forseeable future. And then some.

First and second Yankee games I ever went to were David Cones perfect game, and then David Well's a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    The crowd was as rowdy as that at a "bitter rival" football game.
    That's what I hate about Ryder Cup now. It was never intended to be a blood match. It was a goodwill event for the good of the game. Similar to what has happened to the Pro Olympics. Now the players make millions and we have to watch the parade of WAG's.

Sorry for the rant. I'm sure it was a great event.

I think the US beating USSR to go on to the Gold medal game in hockey would be the best sports moment...but I wasn't there to watch live, only on TV.

The only ones I've seen live that stand out:

1993 NLCS win - Phils beat the Braves for the NLCS (Braves had 104 wins that season, I think), with Mitch "The Wild Thing" Williams on the mound. Vet's stadium was electric, and the tomahawk chop mocking the Braves went on for a full half hour (Ted and Jane were in the crowd). (Of course the Phils lost to the Blue Jays in the WS).

1998 Calder Cup - I know this is the AHL and not the NHL, but when the Philadelphia Phantoms won the Calder Cup in the Spectrum for the first time:
    http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...nsole?id=88676
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post

We don't have much here in Seattle, but this was one of the best days of my life. Just me and my Dad. The energy was amazing.
    Was there for this as well.

Even though they ended up losing the game this may have been bigger just because growing up a Cougar fan I never thought I'd get to see them play here:

This was on my b-day! I'm sure my Dad & I are in a few frames.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Shawn Palmer's straight-line.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I saw a bunch of World Cup games in South Africa two summers ago, which comprised probably 80% of the professional sports events I've witnessed in person.

Ghana vs Uruguay QF has to take the cake -- Luis Suarez' deliberate handball and Ghana's subsequent penalty meltdown, followed by the eerie silence as 80K fans marched out, having just seen the prospect of the home continent getting its first World Cup semifinalist implode. Plus it happened to be the one game where we threw down for really nice seats in the event that either US or England had made it that far. Good times.

Alex Bilodeau's gold in the 2010 Olympics. First gold medal Canada won on home soil. Place went nuts. The whole Olympics was pretty amazing though, I think I was there live for at least 4 Canadian gold medals (unfortunately not hockey gold).

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    In '87 I was going to the University of Oregon, and went to The Pit (McArthur Court) on Jnuary 4th to see the lowly Ducks (7th in the PAC 10) take on powerhouse Arizona, who had five future NBA players: Steve Kerr, Shawn Elliot, Tom Tolbert, Anthony Cook, and Jud Buechler. Their point guard was Kenny Lofton, who became a pro baseball player. The Ducks had a 5' 10" point guard Kevin Gurley, and the shortest center in the PAC 10 (6' 6").

It was a back and forth battle, and I was sitting at about the "thirty yard line" in the student section right next to the band, maybe ten rows up from courtside. The Ducks played the game of their lives, and won by one point, on a three pointer at the buzzer, by Kevin Gurley.

If you've never been to a basketball game at The Pit, you really missed out on the best basketball arena ever. It wasn't big, but was a three tiered circular amphitheater, from the third tier, it was like looking straight down on the court, even from the back row, the place had incredible acoustic amplification as the sound would reverberate and stack until it really seemed like the roof would raise. When that three pointer fell it was like the building was vibrated to a state of harmonic resonance. It was the loudest sound, generated by the voices of humans, that I've ever heard. Much louder than the old Portland Coliseum during the Blazers with Walton, or the King Dome with the Seahawks beating the Raiders (back in '78).
    Last edited by Rasputin; 10-12-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Not a big moment for me, but I was there for Tim Tebow's first game, the one where he made that jump pass for a TD.
    20 years earlier i was on the same sideline, i'm pretty sure it was the same end zone.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.