Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I ran up to snow line in Darby a couple weeks ago... it was just past the caves. Sounds like everything below that is still too boney?

Took a little hike up Glory yesterday (sans skis). A lot of variability based on elevation and (especially) aspect. Rough light up there but was able to bit of exploring and digging around. S and SE aspects (i.e. Twin Slides/Glory Bowl) are looking super bony still, even at the highest elevations.

NE and N aspects still have snow from the last storm and were looking skiable at the upper elevations. My quick pit (shown below) was in a pretty isolated spot (upper elevation, NE aspect, shaded, filled in via wind), but showed 10"+ of new snow (thanks to wind deposit) on top of a thin layer (less than 1") of facets, on top of 10"+ crust from the old snow. I know that's pretty non-scientific but I'm being lazy. Photos:

Looking skiable up high?

This is more like it:

I hope you put in a solar powered surround sound system in the hut while you were up there!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I hope you put in a solar powered surround sound system in the hut while you were up there!
    Yup, also lugged up a kegerator and a pizza oven...

I have brought up an espresso pot and stove, and made a 9 cup while waiting for some friends on lap 2 before...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have brought up an espresso pot and stove, and made a 9 cup while waiting for some friends on lap 2 before...
    You're a better friend than I...hadn't thought about bringing the moka pot up, great idea.

For those that want some more professional observations, my friend Jake has done a great job of looking at the early season snowpack:
    http://www.tetonsnowgeek.com/Teton_S..._activity.html

Thanks much for the snow obs... may the snow gods look favorable upon you this season!

Tuesday 11/8
    mmmm, snow

Keep it coming! I'll be in WY in two weeks, can't wait!
    If you're being rad and nobody's around to see it, are you really being rad?

www.simonblide.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by snomaster View Post
    Tuesday 11/8
    Noice turns!!

Anyone been to Targhee in the past week? Have photos? How's the base?

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfRelease View Post
    Anyone been to Targhee in the past week? Have photos? How's the base?
    They are reporting 20" at midmountain stake but that spot is north facing and sheltered. Probaby less in the sunny zones. Snomaster's photo ^^^ is from the Ghee, I believe. Looks nice but I nearly ruined last season on the third run of openers in deeper stuff than that. I can still hear that rock punching a hole into my helmet. The forecast through tuesday is for 10-20 new inches, compressed with 40mph winds. Good base layer snow to fill in the Ghee's nooks and crannies. I'll wait.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-11-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Rise and shine Jackson, winter is here.
    Live Free or Die

Rode ~4 hours yesterday on the trails I have been working on all summer in Victor...and WHAMMO

Good Targhee info from earlier this week: http://avalancheinstitute.posterous....hee-yesterdayc

Bottom line, not much base yet. 4-5" in Driggs right now and still coming down, so that could be changing fast.

Yeah, I am going to wait for the "gotta go make turns, I just moved here from Michigan Brah!" reports from tomorrow....

(and yeah, I do it too sometimes!)

Good info, thanks all. There's probably 4" of heavy wet snow in Jackson so far...which is more than I expected. Supposed to taper off the rest of the day, but it's in the forecast through at least Wednesday.

Anyone make turns this weekend? Thinking about going for an exploratory stroll at targhee tomorrow.

Speaking of Targhee, does anyone know when the resort will start pre-season pass processing. I want to get my pass when I hike but I've heard the new system is not ready yet. Not that I'm thrilled about bar scanners slowing down the lift lines but last year's opening day pass line was the loooooooooooooongest line of the season. Do not want to get caught up in a clusterfuck debacle like that.

Bar scanners? Fuck, that that will slow down sliding right onto Sac.

I thought you always had the scoop. They are shifting over to scanners this year, correct? It's going to suck getting used to this time killer stacking up people in the maze. When you see the pass prices rising (almost doubling over eight years), ya know, this is not the sort of long awaited infrastructure upgrade you hoped to see in return.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-13-2011 at 11:07 AM.

I am out of the loop right now. Gonna work on that, though, hopefully. Living in JH is a bit far to be there all the time.

Full on winter at GTR.
    It was Boney where it should be, blown in where the wind was going, and easy to avoid most rocks. It wasn't as filled as last year but it's worthy of a leg stretch.

The cat tracked parts are worthy of lapping if you don't want to go up top.

bump for a shitty cell-phone pic from my porch out on 390.

Not enough to convince me to go up high yet, but I did do some cross-crunchy skiing yesterday out on the Moose-Wilson. Great skiing on the road, but not enough to go bushwaking.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

The 'Ghee was a blast today. There were a surprising number of people out. It's still pretty thin and was very windy on top of Dreamcatcher, but we found some great stashes down lower. Importing video right now, but here's a screen grab: