Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2011-2012 Jackson/Targhee/Tetons/Togwotee Weather, Conditions & Stoke Thread

For the sake of our snowpack I'm hoping all of this snow melts, but there's no reason to ski it (or at least try). Below are photos from the village, pass and Targhee from the past three days. Has anyone else been out already?

A few photos from the village on Thursday (view the rest in my thread here):

From bushwhacking the pass' Telemark Bowl yesterday (view the rest in my thread here):

From skinning Targhee this morning (there's a few more in my blog post here):

Teton Village only got about 2-3," which all likely has melted by now. Higher up got more, but still seemed pretty thin. Teton Pass got about a foot, but there's a lot that needs to be covered up. Targhee by far got the most snow. There was about 8-12" at the base this morning (although it got pretty warm by the afternoon) and closer to 18" up to with drifts in excess of 2 feet. Long live winter!

Early October snow is bad juju, and skiing it is a good way to end your season before it starts. Like you say, hopefully it melts out and starts again mid-November for reelz.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

We need another month of fall. Not just for my fishing habit and sanity but for the snowpack. It ain't ski season yet, I hope!
    Last edited by schwerty; 10-09-2011 at 02:49 PM.

I'm with Schwerty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.F. Buffalo Fork 213.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	429.5 KB 
ID:	101183  

it could snow from now until june...and it would be just fine by me.

turns in the cave couloir yesterday.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

Thats better.
    Live Free or Die

Can you snap some crappy zoom photos of the placement of Marmot Lift at and between Thunder Chair base and Gondola summit?

Curious...

heard the marmot lift's span over dick's ditch is pretty high off the ground. sorry...that's all i have for you.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

Some video from yesterday at Targhee, as well:

^ nice vid, I'm SUPER jealous of being able to make turns like that this early, but good job. what's the depth up there like?

Here you go...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
    Can you snap some crappy zoom photos of the placement of Marmot Lift at and between Thunder Chair base and Gondola summit?

Curious...

With UPS showing up with two pairs of skis for me today I'm pretty psyked for the jackson season. Early stoke looks sweet guys!
    If you're being rad and nobody's around to see it, are you really being rad?

www.simonblide.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfRelease View Post
    Here you go...
    Interesting...
    thank you, I appreciate it

Excellent Rock-tober stoke video too

KGB Productions put on a great show last night with Wyoming Triumph. Who else made it out? What'd you think?

I made it out for that showing and I thought they did a better job than TGR this year (yeah it was a multi-year project). Sooo much stoke.
    mmmm, snow

The KGB boys did an incredible job. Loved the movie.

It pretty much turned my brain into ski mode even though the weather, fishing and MTB are all so great right now...

Is anyone else super excited never to have to go to the base area again with the new Marmot lift. Cause this guy is.

And yeah yeah yeah the tram is there, but Rendevous bowl tends to usually kinda suck, and I can hit most of whats out the gates from Sublette outside of Cody. I just cant wait to avoid the base area shitshows on the rare occaision we are actually crowded.

No more Thunder lift lines!
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Is anyone else super excited never to have to go to the base area again with the new Marmot lift. Cause this guy is.

And yeah yeah yeah the tram is there, but Rendevous bowl tends to usually kinda suck,
    I like your thinking- spread the word!!!!!

Snowmaking on AV this morning:

Always a good sign.

Although your posts reek like your trying to pimp your blogish type site.
    Live Free or Die

Anybody interested in going up Garnet Wednesday to go for a ski?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

I can't wait to return back to the Tetons after two weeks of travel. Does anyone know if Darby and Teton Canyons are currently open (open to 4 wheel drive access) to the trailheads?

saw a couple kids nailing rocks on the way down as I was ascending the Ghay today. silly kids.
    mmmm, snow

Quote Originally Posted by LiveTheDream View Post
    I can't wait to return back to the Tetons after two weeks of travel. Does anyone know if Darby and Teton Canyons are currently open (open to 4 wheel drive access) to the trailheads?
    I'm guessing they are. I frequently drive past both on stateline road. The lower canyons were dry on friday. There's only two inches of fluff on the ground at the mouth of Darby. Most of the snow that fell over the past weekend was light, insubstantial stuff. Shouldn't be too hard to drive through. Looks like after this weekend, however, you can switch over to the snowmachine. Winter is here. Whatever falls will stick til May.

Teton Canyon road doesn't officially close til Nov 30. Probably clear still. From what I hear, it is still rocky and thin even at the "Ghee. Maybe you could do a little kick/ glide out in the loops, but be patient up higher.