Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ^If its just more turns from a POV don't bother. We've seen it before. Screen captures are much better unless you are actually getting rad brah. I'm speaking for the 99.9% here.
    mmmm, snow

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I thought you always had the scoop. They are shifting over to scanners this year, correct? It's going to suck getting used to this time killer stacking up people in the maze. When you see the pass prices rising (almost doubling over eight years), ya know, this is not the sort of long awaited infrastructure upgrade you hoped to see in return.
    I was told the same thing when we were hiking this summer. We did our pics this summer and supposedly they can simply print out the new passes to pick up but it will suck if the first day involves an hour line to get your pass.
    Driving to Targhee

Quote Originally Posted by snomaster View Post
    ^If its just more turns from a POV don't bother. We've seen it before. Screen captures are much better unless you are actually getting rad brah. I'm speaking for the 99.9% here.
    Im pretty sure nobody is going to force you to watch his POV if you dont want to.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Thanks _Aaron_. For anyone that's curious what the snow was like outside of a single frame, here you are:

Good stuff right there ^^^. Looked like a solid day

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Im pretty sure nobody is going to force you to watch his POV if you dont want to.
    Agreed and usually dont watch POV's, but........having the camera pointed at yourself is gheyest of all POV angles out there. IJS.

yo yo brobeans, how many rocks did ya jib bonk on the way down? looks like a gnarly ride. get extreme!

I gotta admit, I'm not a fan of the GoPro camera on skis.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

saw that some good sized natural stuff released from little tucks off glory today, from broken cornice sections. looked like the E/NE mid section went to the bottom of the bowl. there was also a single track down the gut of glory. think this lone soldier exited skiers right somehow. we dug a pit at the top of NE ridge on a North aspect and got a CT15 about 8" down, just below the most wind buffed layer. another layer pulled on top of last weeks surface hoar after 4-5 more elbow taps on the shovel. and when I put my skis on to traverse to the rocky ridge I got a big whompf, likely from that october hazard layer I'm most concerned with...
    we made our way down snowshoe bowl.
    mmmm, snow

I really hope that this next storm comes in heavy and gets things to release naturally. Though I've found safe things to ski the past 10 days and counting. /claim
    mmmm, snow

We did a little look-see tour out to Avalanche Bowl on Wednesday, Nov 16. Dug a hole, did a few tests. Here's a short vid that Sarah took of one of our ECTs.

Heads up that the basement is ugly right now, stuff is barely stuck on there in many places. Look for the sugar at the bottom before you ski anything that has a slab on top. Be interesting to see what the next couple of storms bring.

Thanks for the obs, Homemade!

I like the basement analogy... what's it going to take to clean it out and rebuild the foundation? I guess the easy reply is... time.

I'm taking today off... Any reports on what this heavy new snow is doing out there?

south side skied well today. lost of whumping while breaking trail, but to some extent i'd just write that off to the thin snowpack settling into place above all the weeds and bushes. it did, however, make me pause and wait for a few others to top out before dropping in and laying down first tracks.

definitely gonna stay off anything relatively steep, exposed and with bad terrain traps for a while though. i'm thinking higher up might be more sketch in spots with the lingering october snowpack and increased exposure to the wind.

it's supposed to cool off a little, so that might help a bit with stability in the short term?
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

I agree about the cooling. I liked how things came in warm and are forecasted to cool off... maybe it'll help lock things up a bit. Nevertheless, I'm still expecting a shaky house of cards as I travel out there.

2nd the obs from the south side. It skied great out there today! Solidly knee deep, and able to really crank some deep turns in the right places. Still have to tiptoe around a bit, but the base is shaping up! Lots of whoomphing while walking around, but it was all on the flats and around areas with lots of underlying brush and sticks. Nothing too scary. I did a quick dig and found a thick crust almost directly on the ground, with just a very thin layer of facet underneath. The problem layer is the burried surface facets that sit on top of that crust. Seemed well consolidated from that on up to the top (ie. slab on facets). It will definitely be something to keep our eyes on, but at least for today, it did not seem too reactive.

The season begins!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

I skied Togwotee the last few days... no one up there skiing/ riding... Teton Pass and the Ghee must be game on!

Anyway, pretty sketch snowpack on high, north-facing aspects... tons of whoomphing and shooting cracks. Plenty of small pockets ripping out to the facet/ crust layer near the ground. Wind affected conditions (i.e. scouring and wind slab) on all aspects above 10k.

On Two Ocean, I avoided exposing myself in the north-facing steep gullies (> 36 degrees). Ski cuts produced the small pocket slides mentioned above. I either stuck to micro ridge-lines and/ or skied the terrain like it might slide (i.e. I kept my speed up and had exit/ safety zones ready for escape).

Breccia and North Woods/ FSB skied very well. Again, we had the place to ourselves. Interestingly, south and west facing aspects above 9,500' felt relatively stable with no obvious signs of instability... a much more shallow snowpack but no facet/ crust layer down low... dense enough in most places to make turns without hitting bottom.

Here's a pretty simple tool I continue to use in the Backcountry... ALPTRUTH:

A - Avalanches... have avalanches (naturals, skier triggered, test slopes, road cuts, etc.) been witnessed in the last 24-72 hours?
    L - Loading... has loading (via new snow, wind, etc.) occurred in the last 24-72 hours?
    P - Path... are you traveling in, across, or below an obvious avalanche path?
    T - Terrain... are there terrain traps (gullies, cliffs, trees, shallow rocks, etc.) to worry about?
    R - Rating... is the BTNF avy report Considerable or higher? What is your assessment (I gave conditions a Considerable even though BTNF posted Moderate this weekend)?
    U - Unstable Snow... have you noticed any obvious signs of instability (i.e. whoomphing, shooting cracks, hollow sounds, etc.)?
    T - Thaw Instability... is warming contributing to instability?
    H - Human Factor... with whom are you skiing? Are you skiing by yourself? What are your goals (how hard do you plan to push it)?

I teach ALPTRUTH to my novice students, but I think it also works for you more experienced bc travelers. I like how it serves as an overall checklist... most of you probably already consciously or subconsciously observe and take into account these factors.

Try taking 2 minutes to run through this list next time you're in the bc... think about modifying your plan if 3 or more of these factors exist. For example, I observed 5 variables this weekend (A- small avalanches, L- loading within the last 48 hours, P- avalanche paths, T- terrain traps, and U - unstable snow/ whoomphing). As a result, I decided to ski cut slopes, choose safe routes/ zones, and ski avy terrain like it may slide.

I can't wait to get again soon!

Thunder Gondi Marmot Casper Apres Vous and Teewinot (and the Granite Ridge Tow!) ALL OPENING SATURDAY.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Thunder Gondi Marmot Casper Apres Vous and Teewinot (and the Granite Ridge Tow!) ALL OPENING SATURDAY.
    I heard the same thing except no Marmot (which doesn't make sense so I hope you're right). Regardless its gonna be a great opening day!!!

Anyone know whats going to be open at the Ghee on Friday? Also.....heard Marmot will be open too. Pumped!

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post
    Anyone know whats going to be open at the Ghee on Friday? Also.....heard Marmot will be open too. Pumped!
    Shoshone lift and the Papoose Conveyor

Grand Targhee Resort
    Everyone will get new passes for this winter.

1. Anyone who picked up their pass this summer will be issued a new pass. There will be a Will-Calll tent outside of the Activities Center with their passes pre-printed and ready to go. The Will-Call tent will be set-up on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8AM - Noon.

2. Anyone who purchased a pass but didn't pick it up yet will go inside the Activities Center to get their new pass processed. The Activities Center will open at 8:00AM on Friday and will also be open this week on Wednsday from 2:00PM - 6:00PM.

If there starts to be a significant line we have a back-up plan to get passholders on the mountain skiing/riding with a passholder "Skip the Morning" line comp ticket. Then people will be able to come back to the Activities Center later in the day to pick-up their passes.

See you at the 'Ghee!
    Driving to Targhee

Here's a question for the GTNP skiers.... does anyone know where grizzly 399/ 610 and cubs are currently residing? I last heard they were along the Moose/ Wilson Road. Imagine if they decide to den-up along the Death Canyon road/ trail. Or even worse, what if they decide to winter at the mouth of Garnet Canyon? Does the park have a website/ resource tracking their location?

kinda figured i skied around hibernating bears all the time. skiing with bear spray sounds sketchy
    "Everybody's just a couple DUI's away from a chinese scooter" ~~Thomas Jefferson.

I am *pretty sure* bears hibernate for the summer, n' all. Hiked glory last night for a night-light run. Great snow in twin, but holy crap, what an...unusual... Bootpack route.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I am *pretty sure* bears hibernate for the summer, n' all. Hiked glory last night for a night-light run. Great snow in twin, but holy crap, what an...unusual... Bootpack route.

Hmm... Village on Saturday...rock board, or not?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident