Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    New Darts PR, finding setting the resistance higher, around 8, keeps me more consistent.
    Nice! I usually go 1-2 on darts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh God. My wife who is(was) a D2 national champion rower is about to buy a Concept2. I can't wait for a year of humiliation before maybe I can be as fast as her?
    Last edited by John_B; 09-06-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Many moons ago spun on that thing quite a bit in college. Used to be able to go sub 6:00 for a 2k. Now I'm fat - no chance....even 7:00 I'd shit myself. Setting of the fan....think of it kind of like gears on a bike where biking you shift the gears to keep cadence the same, but on the C2 you change stroke rate. I think I used to set it anywhere between 3.5-5. Just because you set a harder resistance doesn't mean you are working harder. It is all about watt output / time for 500m. It is a balance of stroke rate and fan setting. I think I would row a 2k somewhere around 32-36 strokes per minute. Now for workouts....lots of work in the stroke rate of 20-26 strokes per minutes and really getting on it during the pull. Then relaxing during the recovery.

Damn. 6 min 2k is fast. 1:30 splits. When I was top shape I could only manage a 1:34 for 500. I rowed in college. I appreciate having gained proper technique, now when I hit the gym, it's always my first stop. Haven't been much lately, but went the other day and pulled a 1:49. New office has one in it, so hopefully I'll get back to pulling low 1:40s for my warmup.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

You 6min 2k had me wondering what the world record is. I watched a former linebacker for the Utes who ran a CrossFit gym pull a 1:29 (I think) a while back. And I thought damn. So I searched,

From concept2.com, here is the 19-29 age range, male, world record for 2k is
    200019-29 Josh Dunkley-Smith MHwt 28 AUS 5:35.82018 Race result 200019-29 Henrik Stephansen MLwt 24 DEN 5:56.72013 Race result

Check it out....
    https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowe...All&weight=All

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Those times are unreal, 5:35, 5:36 for ages 30-39. What is even crazier is this times in the older age bracket. A 6:20 in age 60-64 bracket, unreal. Just typing this makes me start a nervous sweat knowing the pain that C2 machine can cause.

Recent results. I just use this as warmup before a workout. Row a 2k each time.
    I tried Darts, but I feel like it messes with my cadence.

My best so far-

1:45.6 for 500m warmup today. I think I'm going to start increasing distance on the warmup and stop when my average climbs above 1:45.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Did a 5k for warmup today. That was a mistake. Averaged 2:09, which I feel ok about, since I rested a bit more than I planned.
    I think I'll stick to the 2k until I get it dialed.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    1:45.6 for 500m warmup today. I think I'm going to start increasing distance on the warmup and stop when my average climbs above 1:45.
    Jesus, that's a hell of a pace to warmup with.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Jesus, that's a hell of a pace to warmup with.
    Well, I do a bit of stretching, hop on, and row 500, then slow down for 200, then hop off and lift weights.
    Thursday I rowed 1000 at 1:52/500 pace. Could have gone lower. Too be clear, 1:45 is not sustainable for me. It does definitely get me warmed up though.
    I rowed in college, so the technique training was great. I am in so so shape, and with ski season rapidly approaching and being 44, I really would like to get in good shape again to drive the big skis effectively this year. Having the erg available at an otherwise ho hum office gym will help.
    sigless.

man that's still really fast.
    I like rowing 5k's, and really hammering into the finish - but for me hammering means like 1:50/500 on resistance #4.
    Some of you guy's times are ridiculous.
    north bound horse.

Hit 300k today!
    Still doing mostly 5k's, no I won't share my times.

I came up hot for covid 6 days ago, but the lung butter was mild. Fully recovered and rower splits are back to normal today. God, I hate/love that rower.
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Hit 300k today!
    Still doing mostly 5k's, no I won't share my times.

I came up hot for covid 6 days ago, but the lung butter was mild. Fully recovered and rower splits are back to normal today. God, I hate/love that rower.
    Congratulations! Glad to hear Covid took it easy on you.

Some dumb injuries have kept me from getting to my 7 minute 2k goal. But just PRed in Darts.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Congratulations! Glad to hear Covid took it easy on you.

Some dumb injuries have kept me from getting to my 7 minute 2k goal. But just PRed in Darts.
    Sick!
    7min 2k would be hard, for me. 1:45/500? ouch. Great goal!
    I've never played the games, I need to try em out.
    north bound horse.

Sick!
    7min 2k would be hard, for me. 1:45/500? ouch. Great goal!
    I've never played the games, I need to try em out.
    A seven minute 2k is definitely hard for me. I think it's more or less like running a six minute mile. But I've run six minute miles a bunch and PR 2K row is 7:13. Although last time I ran a six minute mile was a while back and unfortunately my fitness zenith at 35 is in the rear view mirror at 41. First 1000 of the 2k always feels great and then the pain really sets in on the third 500. Lol

Darts is my favorite warmup.

Duplicate post will delete later.

A seven minute 2k is definitely hard for me. I think it's more or less like running a six minute mile. But I've run six minute miles a bunch and PR 2K row is 7:13. Although last time I ran a six minute mile was a while back and unfortunately my fitness zenith at 35 is in the rear view mirror at 41. First 1000 of the 2k always feels great and then the pain really sets in on the third 500. Lol

Darts is my favorite warmup.

I always wondered where the comparison to running was. My good 5k times running (also shrinking in the mirror) were around 22min. I never tried to go all out for a mile, I was a longer distance honk. Even 5k seemed like a sprint.

What resistance setting you use?
    north bound horse.

I always wondered where the comparison to running was. My good 5k times running (also shrinking in the mirror) were around 22min. I never tried to go all out for a mile, I was a longer distance honk. Even 5k seemed like a sprint.

What resistance setting you use?
    There's a lot of information about resistance at the beginning of the thread. From the research I've done, the proper thing to do is calibrate your machine's drag factor to match your workouts. There is actually a mode on the monitor that you can use to do this. With that being said, I usually do 2K sprints around 4. Most other workouts I am usually in the 2-3 range. Rarely go above 5.

https://www.concept2.com/news/damper-and-drag-olympians

Two PRs in a week! Really need to hone in on a perfect score!

Two PRs in a week! Really need to hone in on a perfect score!
    sick! I need to play, just can't get outta my routine. Maybe I'll try it later after my 5k.

And yea, I've followed a lot of the resistance numbers upthread .. I'm just always curious what other people are doing - cause I kinda just bought my rower and started rowing without a clue in the world. A while ago I put mine on 4 and just left it.

As general commentary, I'm fully drinking the rowing koolaid. Easy on my joints, and oddly easy to manage output to get what I want. As an acute measure, my skinning fitness has improved, and on the mat, my sparring partners have made a lot of comments that I'm way fitter (actually getting a lot of cardio taps!). I'm debating upping the resistance and 'sprinting' 5min rounds for tournament prep.

So with all that said, I don't actually enjoy rowing. Thank goodness for podcasts.
    north bound horse.

tried darts twice. Now that I know what this is and how it works? .. I'm blown away by your score. I over row, then under row, then over row and my darts fly all over the show. Pretty cool how it measures consistency by stroke length and pace though, I'll work this in - I bet it'll be valuable for consistency.

First try:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darts2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	605.3 KB 
ID:	407465

Second try, I thought pacing down would be way easier to get a good score - but it's harder!

Name:	darts1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	407464
    north bound horse.

Darts at a 29-30 stroke rate would be hard. Try 22-24 and focus on a consistent leg drive.

tried darts twice. Now that I know what this is and how it works? .. I'm blown away by your score. I over row, then under row, then over row and my darts fly all over the show. Pretty cool how it measures consistency by stroke length and pace though, I'll work this in - I bet it'll be valuable for consistency.

First try:

Name:	darts2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	605.3 KB 
ID:	407465

Second try, I thought pacing down would be way easier to get a good score - but it's harder!

Name:	darts1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	407464
    You'll get better quickly if you stick with it. Getting the start down was the hardest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    Oldest kid rowed in high school for a couple of months. They always tested the kids on the 2km times. The schools have "Beat the Beast" indoor rowing competition every year. As a stupid parent, I signed up for the parent dash. I threw up, and had a headache for about two hours after. Hardest thing I ever did. Ever since, it has always nagged at me. Yes, you are never fast enough, or good enough, your technique is never as good as it should be. Staring at that f&*king computer is shear hell but yet we still come back. I took out a month gym membership last winter. Rowed two times a week. This was my best 2km posting.
    Ok, i am going to play once again.
    Pulled up my post from 10 years ago. Went to the gym today and pulled an 8 min 2 k without busting my lungs open. Did some more slower reps. Goal is to pull a sub 7. Im 53 now, have not exercised much the last year, drank way too much beer and now I have a dad bod. Fak !! Its going to be tough !!
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?