Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    "One Million Dollars!"
    Do the bath robes have a powder skirt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Do the bath robes have a powder skirt?
    Yeah, but I'm not sure where it is. I'll send it later for sure.

And the bathrobes are an extra $5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Mine makes a wonderful hanging rack for my bathrobes. Yes, it should be in use.
    I highly recommend the C2 for bib drying post cleaning and re-waterproofing.

relieved I'm not alone in my love for my C2.

I think people get them and decide they're gonna do 30 minutes a day and a week later they're burned out on it. Understandably. Instead, break it out a couple times a week and bust yer ass for 10 minutes on it, it might grow on you. imo it's the greatest piece of gym equipment ever made. I'll send you a pack of clothes hooks for your closet if you pm me your address and promise to use the C2 for its intended purpose once in a while.

I've been on and off it over a number of years. Your approach is sensible and doable, and while I've done just that it's always easier to fall off the train than to get back on.

PM incoming for bathrobe hook shipping address.

Tried a 2K time trial for my second row. 7:05 (1:45 pace per 500). I probably started out a little too hot, but I don't think I died too bad. Definitely challenging!

AD if you don't know about it, Concept 2 has a good site with forums, info, lots of age rankings etc etc. I haven't been on there in a while but it's worthwhile to check out. https://log.concept2.com/rankings Even though you're using a different machine much of it should be relevant I think.

Will do. At some point I need to use a Concept 2 just for a comparison. It seems pretty obvious my machine is "faster."

I think I'll try a longer row like a 10k next.

Iceman - fear not, my C2 is used regularly. Usually in 1 or 2k spurts or for some occasional interval work. The shark game is a big hit with the little ones. Appreciate the offer of hangers.

Love my C2. Just got it recently while I was on 'no impact' broken leg restrictions.

After a few months of virtually no activity, indoor rowing is thrilling. I don't go that hard, I have a hard time getting motivated to really smash it - I need to check out the games or apps or something to step it up.

Usually row 5k's (@2:00/500m) warm up before free weights. Still playing with resistance settings and getting a feel for it - seems like higher resistance = faster pace at the same cadence? I dunno. I'm sure there's a sweet spot somewhere.

I'd be interested to try other machines or a water rower just to see. I've also never 'really' rowed on a real boat, so there's that.

I picked up a C2 PM5 about 5 years ago after using them in gyms for years and out of all the things I do to try to stay in shape rowing has been the most beneficial. Try to do 2k in the morning then if I have the time add in some deadlifts, some bench presses, maybe a few pull-ups or clean and jerks, full body workout in under an hour.

MON: There's some good stuff about resistance on C2 site (linked above), and they talk about it in the forums sometimes. Basically it all works out to the same thing as far a the machine is concerned. Somebody might think moving a 10 lb rock 100 feet is more their style, while others might feel that moving a 100 pound rock 10 feet is a better workout for them, but it's the same amount of work. To find a balance between strength and cardio that will allow you to do the most work in the least time is the goal, for me that's usually right on the line between 4 and 5 but YMMV as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    MON: There's some good stuff about resistance on C2 site (linked above), and they talk about it in the forums sometimes. Basically it all works out to the same thing as far a the machine is concerned. Somebody might think moving a 10 lb rock 100 feet is more their style, while others might feel that moving a 100 pound rock 10 feet is a better workout for them, but it's the same amount of work. To find a balance between strength and cardio that will allow you to do the most work in the least time is the goal, for me that's usually right on the line between 4 and 5 but YMMV as they say.
    Point of order.... 100lb rock vs 10 lb rock is only the same amount of work if you do it in the same amount of time.

You should checkout rowseries.com. It is an online rowing competition. But they have all the previous workouts posted. Some are pretty brutal but it is "fun" to compare your times. Spoiler alert: everybody is way fitter than you.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks for the tip on rowseries. I like the old workouts. I've been rowing at home for a couple years since I bought my own C2. I love it. Just put a show on TV and go for it. I generally keep the damper around a 7, but if I want to hurt, I'll bump it up. I tried it at 4-5 and don't feel enough burn. I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong. Best 500m last year was 1:32, but trying to get under 1:30 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Thanks for the tip on rowseries. I like the old workouts. I've been rowing at home for a couple years since I bought my own C2. I love it. Just put a show on TV and go for it. I generally keep the damper around a 7, but if I want to hurt, I'll bump it up. I tried it at 4-5 and don't feel enough burn. I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong. Best 500m last year was 1:32, but trying to get under 1:30 this year.
    Check out darkhorse rowing on YouTube. But most top level rowers row at a damper of 5 or below. Damper settings are related to S/m more than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

I guess I (ignorantly) figured adjusting the damper was like pushing a bigger gear or spinning a smaller one on a bike. At some point either becomes inefficient for me, and the sweet spot is somewhere in the middle.

Probably depends somewhat on the target distance and objective of the workout too. I'll keep screwing around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Spoiler alert: everybody is way fitter than you.
    QFT (sigh)

^ That was my mistake when I first started, I just racked it up to 10 then yarded on it like a mental patient.

Dialing it back and developing some technique helped improve my numbers back when I cared, now I just smoke a bowl and pump out 2k before breakfast to make myself feel better about being lazy the rest of the day.

Glad I found this thread! Lots of good information.

I've been casually rowing 4ks on the C2 for years but I'm about to turn 40 and recovering from a severely sprained ankle last summer, so I decided to see if I could crank out a 7 minute 2k. I'm 5'10" 170 lbs.

IIRC my 4k PR about 5 years ago after being a few years deep into CrossFit was 14:30ish. So I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Did my first 2k attempt after a kick boxing class just for a baseline and got 7:33, albeit being pretty worn out. I'm about 3 weeks into serious 2k training and have gotten down to 7:16 with about 90% effort and a 5 pull sprint start. Going with drag factor at 130ish which is a high 5 on my gym's C2. I think it's about 3 years old but has probably not received any maintenance, if any. Luckily they just put new batteries on after I asked so I don't have to hit the units button at the beginning during the first few strokes. Lol

Hoping to break 7 by the end of this month. After sprint start I settle into about a 1:48 splits. But I really fall off at the end and slip to the low 1:50s without much energy for a sprint on the last 300 or so. So in addition to some 4ks I've been doing, I decided to do some 500m work and got a 1:34 today which I was pretty happy with for first try in years. Also broke out my old HR monitor after getting some new batteries today. HR was 183 when I finished and according to the 220 - my age, my theoretical max is 181, so I guess I gave it my all. But I feel like I can definitely shave some time off.

Anyway, thanks for the good motivation, boys! If I feel like I'm not going to get under 7 by the end of the month, I might post some video and let you dudes roast me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    HR was 183 when I finished and according to the 220 - my age, my theoretical max is 181, so I guess I gave it my all.
    I don't buy that shit. I'm almost 50 and can still get up to 200. I consider 170 to still be aerobic.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't buy that shit. I'm almost 50 and can still get up to 200. I consider 170 to still be aerobic.
    Are your parents rabbits?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Who rows? (Concept2)

I had one, but it was hard on my lower back. I have a leaky disc.

Probably terrible form though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good timing on buying the rower. Since I can't swim right now I've upped my rowing to three or four days per week, 5,000-6,000 meters each session. So far I've just been rowing continuously at a steady pace, but maybe I'll start mixing it up with intervals, etc. Anyone got any good suggestions? I'll read through this thread again, too.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Good timing on buying the rower. Since I can't swim right now I've upped my rowing to three or four days per week, 5,000-6,000 meters each session. So far I've just been rowing continuously at a steady pace, but maybe I'll start mixing it up with intervals, etc. Anyone got any good suggestions? I'll read through this thread again, too.
    The Concept 2 website posts a different workout every day based on how much time you have. Many are interval based.

If you want to keep it simple just do the workout you're doing now but mix in some 10- or 20-stroke "power" sets as you go along. Keep the same stroke rate (or close) but up the effort on those strokes to as near 100% as you can get, basically. Then resume the pace you were at before.