Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Who rows? (Concept2)

Got my concept2 about a year ago, had some injury and general health issues that I have since overcome, and now I'm trying to kick it up a couple gears. I rowed stroke on what was unquestionably the best high school four in the country, and I was badass, but a lot of water has gone over the dam since then.

Now, 30 years later, I'm trying to get after it. My times really suck bad. Bad. But I'm moving up. And I'm feeling stronger than I have in years. I have bad elbow problems, I'm really hoping they don't derail me, so far it hasn't been an issue, let's hope it stays that way.

So anyways, right now in intervals I can lay down a 2:00 500, if I bust hard, can do ~2:15-ish average over 2000 and kept it around 2:25/ in the first 5000 I've done, which was 2 days ago. Yesterday I did some intervals, couldn't come close to my best times. So I took today off and I'm gonna bust out a 5000 tomorrow. 2:15/ over the 5000 is the goal. We'll see. Sounds hard.

Talk to me.

I was a varsity lightweight in college. The first Concept II erg (bicycle wheel with plastic vanes) came out late in my senior year. A few years after I graduated I bought one of my very own and rowed on it off and on until I turned forty. At age 40 I tore a disk in my back while rowing and spent the bulk of the next two months (which were January & February, dammit) lying down. I tried to get back after it a few times that year but it always made my back hurt, so I gave it to a friend.

Two years ago I went to an orthopedist about a chronically sore shoulder. I told him I used to row, but had to quit, and he suggested that might be the root of my shoulder problem. So I became a Concept II owner again. The past six months I've been rowing 15-25 days/month.

I used to enter my times in their online logbook, so I can see now what I was doing when I was 40. I did 2000 meters at sea level at a 1:47 average, 2500 meters in Jackson (6300 ft ASL) at 1:49.5, 20 minutes in Jackson at 1:53.5, 20 minutes at sea level at 1:50.4, 10,000 meters in Jackson at 1:56.5, 10,000 meters at sea level at 1:53.0. Longest row I did was 21,097 meters, which is a half-marathon, apparently.

Now, at age 49, for 5x500 meter intervals I average around 1:50. I can do 2500 meters at about 1:55.5, 5000 meters at about 1:58, 7500 meters at about 2:01. I haven't gone longer than 30 minutes yet.

I remember when I was in college I had no trouble elevating my heart rate to somewhere around 200-220 bpm. Now it tops out at 175 on a good day.

The really messed up thing is when I'm back in Boston in March and I see boats seat racing in the rain, and I'm jealous. How fucked up is that?

Best of luck [Ice]. It's not about numbers anymore.

It's about getting out.

Don't bust yourself up, don't bleed out, and get your ass back to the typewriter after the bar.

Have fun with it. Be nice to yourself. Just don't stop living.

I really can't tell what you are asking for, BTW, your jargon is not my realm. But you have my support.

Quit any and all Alcohol and the joint problems will fade. Sesame oil massage and steroids will really aid recovery.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Got my concept2 about a year ago, had some injury and general health issues that I have since overcome, and now I'm trying to kick it up a couple gears. I rowed stroke on what was unquestionably the best high school four in the country, and I was badass, but a lot of water has gone over the dam since then.

Now, 30 years later, I'm trying to get after it. My times really suck bad. Bad. But I'm moving up. And I'm feeling stronger than I have in years. I have bad elbow problems, I'm really hoping they don't derail me, so far it hasn't been an issue, let's hope it stays that way.

So anyways, right now in intervals I can lay down a 2:00 500, if I bust hard, can do ~2:15-ish average over 2000 and kept it around 2:25/ in the first 5000 I've done, which was 2 days ago. Yesterday I did some intervals, couldn't come close to my best times. So I took today off and I'm gonna bust out a 5000 tomorrow. 2:15/ over the 5000 is the goal. We'll see. Sounds hard.

Talk to me.
    The only numbers that count are heart rate x minutes

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

I dont really enjoy the rower too much - not much padding on the butt

But I can get it sub 2.00 per 500 over 5k. I do use it in the gym and they run monthly comps for fun.
    Best acheivement was 10k in sub 39 mins which was average around 1.56 IIRC bear in mind this was the first time I'd attempted this and had never rowed for as long before.

Do I feel like I need to attempt this again - No. I'm in my 40's too and like to think I'm reasonably fit.

Keep going at it and stop if the elbows give you pain - you probably know what to do but sometimes need to remind yourself rather than ignore it. Its supposed to be great exercise and conditioning.

Mix the workouts around including intervals/sprints as well as endurance

Good luck.
    Find a Path That Captures Your Heart and Follow it to its End !!

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    The really messed up thing is when I'm back in Boston in March and I see boats seat racing in the rain, and I'm jealous. How fucked up is that?
    In high school we used to be out on the Charles from the first week of March, sometimes in the snow or freezing cold rain with ice building up on the oars, and for some reason I now seem to think it was fun. I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually fun at the time.

I row on the C2 twice a week. I haven't been keeping my stats, but now I'll try to get some splits. When I grew up my father was a rower. So I spent summers heading to the Head of the Charles, and even event to the Henley a few years. Winters (Iowa) were spent going to indoor erg comps, if you havent been, you need to go to just one.

Just as I was getting old enough to be competitive, the boat house was flooded, and all of the shells were washed down the river...the club later dissolved after it was discovered the president was pocketing the insurance premiums.

Either way, post some work outs. I'd like some goals to hit.

What kind of stroke rates do you guys maintain? On the water, we used to race at 34-36 strokes/min for a 2000 meter sprint, and 32-33 for a long race like the Head of the Charles. On the Concept 2, I can maybe maintain a 25 for 2000 meters.

I'm still trying to figure that out - when I started last year I was going like 28-30 and faster for shorter intervals, but then I read a bunch on a couple of different forums and everybody says you want to be slow on the C2, like 20-21, and focus on being explosive at the catch and long in the finish. I actually don't quite get the theory but it seems well-accepted as gospel so that's what I've been trying to do. Going fast while going slow is hard. You have to pull like a motherfucker. And you've really got to slow down the recovery and break it into a deliberate sequence of arms, then body, then legs, one piece at a time.

I just did 5000m and kept it right on 21 the whole time, I went out too fast (2:00 and 2:05 in the first 1000) and never really recovered and dragged my ass home to finish with a 2:22 average. That shit is hard.

I have no patience for longer rows but I have rowed a 1:36 500. Damn near killed me, too.

Back when I was whole I rowed a 7:08 2k. It was hard. I don't have any 500 times written down and I don't remember. I need to get back on it, it would probably be pretty good knee rehab if I didn't get too deep.

i generally go in the mid-30s
    going hard in the low 20s sounds like it would put a lot of stress on your back but what do I know?
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

13 posts and no Iceman rows in jeans?

My ex was a lightweight on the Cambridge ladies first boat. Pretty hardcore.

I like to paddle around in the gym. I think I do avg 2:30 / 500m for 1000m. I should pay more attention.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

I used to row. A lot. Rowing is type 2 fun. You learn a lot about yourself. It is definitely a journey. And I totally understand the longing for the days of misery. It was a thing that you proved to yourself. You COULD hack it. You were stronger than everybody else. And this was how you showed it to yourself.

Nice to see people still doing it. I hate the fucking erg. With a passion. Yet I still jump on the damn thing every week because there is nothing that gets you fit like that goddamn machine. It is depressing though. Even when I was at my peak the erg just tells you that you are not fast enough. And now I am a lot slower. It still tells me I am slow but for some asinine reason I still show up.

Regarding rate: you are told to row lower rate on the erg because on the water you want to have the boat glide/run and give yourself more time to recover. When you get to racing season you build up the fast twitch muscle but you still stay smooth and the boat runs faster ie. more efficiently. If you just jerk up and down the slide quickly you don't recover and you pop sooner plus the boat is inefficient through the water.

Don't put the resistance to the max because you think it makes you faster, it doesn't. If you have less resistance you have to be faster through the drive to get the same splits as if the resistance was higher. Lower resistance is better for your back and builds faster twitch muscle fibers. High resistance is only good if you are rowing around 32+ because the flywheel doesn't get a chance to slow down. When you are on the machine (the newer version) press the options button and then push 'drag'. Adjust the vent and put the resistance to between 125 and 145. That is plenty. National team heavy men will do most of their workouts here but when the resistance is needed they will put it to 180. Most of our backs can't handle that so don't try. If you have an old version of the erg, press the top and bottom button at the same time and the drag gets displayed in the bottom corner.

When in the gym I will do staircases and pyramids between 18 and 26. Hardly ever go above 26. For test pieces it was a different story though.
    Recently overheard: "Hey Ralph, what were you drinking that time that you set your face on fire?"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    "fishermem row"- RNM

If you ever do a river rowin trip you should call.
    I'm down with that concept
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Been spending more time on the C2 lately getting ready for a crossfit comp next weekend. Focusing mostly on 1000's and 400's. My best time for 1000 is 3:45 (total time). Pretty average time for anyone who rows, but I'm happy with it as a geezer.

I'm also still trying to find the right formula for strokes/min. with an explosive catch/drive. I think I could get to a 3:30 1000 at some point but that's probably the best I can get to without dedicating myself to nothing but rowing.

I watch craigslist regularly for them. If I could own only one piece of workout equipment it'd definitely be a C2 rower.

I have one in the basement.....

Need to use it.

Oldest kid rowed in high school for a couple of months. They always tested the kids on the 2km times. The schools have "Beat the Beast" indoor rowing competition every year. As a stupid parent, I signed up for the parent dash. I threw up, and had a headache for about two hours after. Hardest thing I ever did. Ever since, it has always nagged at me. Yes, you are never fast enough, or good enough, your technique is never as good as it should be. Staring at that f&*king computer is shear hell but yet we still come back. I took out a month gym membership last winter. Rowed two times a week. This was my best 2km posting.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Rowed in college and and put down a 6:32 2k time before ending that episode of sports. As a workout, I think the erg is awesome (in a masochistic way). I notoriously had a slower rate of around 28 s/m.

Makes me want to get back on the erg...haven't pulled in a year or two.

What the hell is a Concept2?

But I LOVE rowing. All kinds of boats, from skinny little shell with a slider seat that I patched up for almost nothing (it was full of holes from being abused and run over rocks).....

...To the ride that I'm currently borrowing (a sweet 14 ft Herreshoff skiff with beautiful lines and a sweet entry).

Certainly not as fast as the shell...but her classic lines more than makje up for any speed differential. And she still gives a great work-out.....just no sliding seat, which I miss....although she does have moveable foot braces.

Never been too big on stationary rowing...but I did used to have a cheap pneumatic arm rower. But for a good stationary row when I can't get to one of the boats, I prefer a Dyne-Air.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    Oldest kid rowed in high school for a couple of months. They always tested the kids on the 2km times. The schools have "Beat the Beast" indoor rowing competition every year. As a stupid parent, I signed up for the parent dash. I threw up, and had a headache for about two hours after. Hardest thing I ever did. Ever since, it has always nagged at me. Yes, you are never fast enough, or good enough, your technique is never as good as it should be. Staring at that f&*king computer is shear hell but yet we still come back. I took out a month gym membership last winter. Rowed two times a week. This was my best 2km posting.
    animal
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

I'm too short and light (5'9" 160#) to excel at the erg. Best 500m was around 1:43 and I think I did a 5km at just under 20min.

I really do not enjoy rowing at all!

What setting you do guys have the fan thing on (1-10)? I've never really noticed much what that thing does. Props on the 6:44 2k. I might be able to manage 7:30 now, though haven't pushed it in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    What setting you do guys have the fan thing on (1-10)? I've never really noticed much what that thing does. Props on the 6:44 2k. I might be able to manage 7:30 now, though haven't pushed it in awhile.
    I usually set it between 4-6. It kills me to see guys pull up and try and impress you with a setting of 10 and mash it all the way. A 10 means you will technically go farther per stroke with more recovey time in between strokes. 1 one will be very easy to pull with less drag but distance will suffer. I find a balance between the two depends on strength and endurance. Lower the number generally means you have to increase your stoke rate to maintain the same distance covered and speed. I'm a tall guy so its harder for me to recover back to the initial stroke when stroke rate is higher. I tend to pull a full stoke, right to the end of the seat with a full extension of the chain.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?