Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Tioga Pass is set for Opening Monday, 5/7 according to their FB page.

@JimW, Franz, Jbaysurce ... many thanks to you guys again. The SAR and ESAC folks are following up on all the info.

jbn, I kinda mentioned this on the phone, but just wanted to add here. If he was in the Dana area, it is likely that someone would have seen something this past weekend. There were a number of people who were on Dana and riding both Dana and Solstice, and if there were anything amiss in that area it would likely have been noticed. We also would have likely seen something if he approaced Dana via Kidney Lake/Gibbs cirque, as we did Kidney chute on Sat and climbed up through Gibbs cirque to the top of Dana couloir afterward.

However, if anything happened below that, or in Coke chute below the upper section that Franz rode, it is unlikely that anyone would have been in those areas because stuff was so melted out down low. When we were there 2 weeks ago, even then stuff was very melted out in V-bowl below Coke chute. By the time Boris was there it would have been a lot more melted out due to the high temps... but because 120 wasn't open to Tioga lake at that point, if he wanted to ride Coke chute he still would have had to climb/exit from Lee Vining canyon. Then 120 opened to Tioga Lake on Fri, and at that point it is highly unlikely that anyone would have been climbing up from Lee Vining canyon; if they were going to ride Coke chute, they would probably just ride the upper part, then climb back out (like Franz did).

Yeah, Sue said people have basically been all over the Dana since the weekend of April 20/21. I relayed to her that he might have had an incident below where everyone else had been traveling/skiing. She is going to be out there along with the SAR folks tomorrow, so at this point we are all just hoping for the best. Thank you again for all the info and contacts Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    jbn, I kinda mentioned this on the phone, but just wanted to add here. If he was in the Dana area, it is likely that someone would have seen something this past weekend. There were a number of people who were on Dana and riding both Dana and Solstice, and if there were anything amiss in that area it would likely have been noticed. We also would have likely seen something if he approaced Dana via Kidney Lake/Gibbs cirque, as we did Kidney chute on Sat and climbed up through Gibbs cirque to the top of Dana couloir afterward.

However, if anything happened below that, or in Coke chute below the upper section that Franz rode, it is unlikely that anyone would have been in those areas because stuff was so melted out down low. When we were there 2 weeks ago, even then stuff was very melted out in V-bowl below Coke chute. By the time Boris was there it would have been a lot more melted out due to the high temps... but because 120 wasn't open to Tioga lake at that point, if he wanted to ride Coke chute he still would have had to climb/exit from Lee Vining canyon. Then 120 opened to Tioga Lake on Fri, and at that point it is highly unlikely that anyone would have been climbing up from Lee Vining canyon; if they were going to ride Coke chute, they would probably just ride the upper part, then climb back out (like Franz did).

Oh yeah, one other long shot... Franz and anyone else who summited Dana last weekend, did you happen to sign the summit register? If so, do you recall seeing Boris' name?

I'd be willing to go out with a group this weekend and look for Boris...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Wishing good vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by jbn View Post
    Hi all, hoping to get some info or help regarding a friend who's potentially missing in the lee vining area. On the 19th my friend (Boris Avdeev) contacted me and another guy about skiing Dana Couloir and Cocaine chute on April 20/21. Neither of us was able to go with Boris, but yesterday the other friend got a call from the Mono country sheriff that Boris' car had been parked at poole power plant campground for over 2 weeks. They're launching a search and rescue this morning, but I was hoping to see if anyone here had seen him the weekend of April 20/21. I know it's a long shot, but any info will help at this point. A picture of him is attached. Thanks guys.
    Attachment 115284

Please shoot me an email (john.naliboff@gmail.com) or give me a call (530-204-7629) if you have any info. Thanks again in advance for any info guys.
    jbn, I truly hope you find Boris safe and sound. Best wishes and positive good vibes. Hope this ends well.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Oh yeah, one other long shot... Franz and anyone else who summited Dana last weekend, did you happen to sign the summit register? If so, do you recall seeing Boris' name?
    Alas, I didn't even think of looking for the summit register. I was too busy taking photos of the people skiing Dana Couloir almost 800ft below.

I would also volunteer for the search for Boris this weekend.
    Last edited by Franz Klammer; 05-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Franz, Mike ... thank you for the offers to search this weekend. If SAR comes up empty (they are out there now) we may well organize a broader search, although it seems the best people possible between SAR and ESAC are out there. We're still trying to get more info about any other possibilities (hitch hike somewhere, etc), but none of this seems likely as he was supposed to be in CO on Monday. Thanks for all the support and info everyone, and we're still holding out hope for a good outcome.

jbn, put me down on the list if you need help looking for Boris. I'm a friend of his from Tahoe. Blake texted me this am asking if I knew anything about his whereabouts. Thanks for all your work; hoping for the best.

jbn - sorry to read this. I hope something turns out for the better.

Any news? I posted some of the info on Brennan Lagasse's post on unofficialnetworks.com:
    http://unofficialnetworks.com/easter...-reopen-94784/
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Any news? I posted some of the info on Brennan Lagasse's post on unofficialnetworks.com:
    I'm a friend of Boris' -- thanks for all your help Franz, and everyone else. No real updates I've heard today, except that multiple SAR team launched earlier and will be searching all day.

Hey Guys,

This is scary. I’m going to put something about Boris on Unofficial. I hope that’s cool with all ya’ll. We need to find this guy.

Is there any other news?
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    jbn, put me down on the list if you need help looking for Boris. I'm a friend of his from Tahoe. Blake texted me this am asking if I knew anything about his whereabouts. Thanks for all your work; hoping for the best.
    Thank you Mr.Toad, it seems we will have a very strong group of Boris' friends and other TGR members if an extended search is needed. Right now S&R and other folks are on the ground in the area. If you send me an email I will add you to an email list that we are sending out to Boris' friends periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by FranzKlammer
    Franz, unfortunately no new info. I spoke to the search and rescue coordinator this morning and at this point it seems the efforts are in full force.

I will post an update here as soon as I hear from the Sheriff or S&R folks, which I hope will be sometime this afternoon. Thank you all again for the support, info and offers to help with a search.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    Hey Guys,

This is scary. I’m going to put something about Boris on Unofficial. I hope that’s cool with all ya’ll. We need to find this guy.

Is there any other news?
    Gopher, that would be great if you could post something about this on Unofficial. If people have any info they should contact Heidi Vetter (559-906-8156, Search and Rescue coordinator) or deputy Pete Degeorge at the Mono Sheriff's office (760-932-7549).

There are now fliers with this info in Lee Vining, Mammoth Mountaineering Works, Wilson's Eastside Sports and in Yosemite village. Boris had mentioned to someone about climbing in Yosemite valley after skiing in the Dana area, but so far no word about anyone seeing him there.

Thanks again everyone and I will put up info as soon as I hear anything.

John

Why wasn't someone looking for this guy 10 days ago? Poor guy, I hope it turns out but 14 days until searching???
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Why wasn't someone looking for this guy 10 days ago? Poor guy, I hope it turns out but 14 days until searching???
    Dhelihiker, we literally just found on Tuesday night that he was potentially missing from the Sheriff who reported his car being in the same place for 2 weeks. Boris asked myself and someone else about skiing in the area on the weekend of the 20/21, but we did not hear any follow up plans from him as neither of us could make the trip. Beyond that trip, Boris had loose travel plans to go climb in Yosemite valley, but his only firm travel date was to be in Boulder this last Monday. We are all still pretty much in a state of shock that between multiple groups of friends we did not realize no one had been in contact with him for almost 2 weeks. We're all still holding out hope he's waiting for help out there or somewhere else entirely.

Hey jbn, I just posted and social media-ed a post about Boris. I sincerely hope it helps.

Lemme know if there is anything else I can do.

I just listed the mono country sheriff’s office phone number. I’m happy to add Heidi’s if you’d like me to.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/missin...a-skier-94872/
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    Hey jbn, I just posted and social media-ed a post about Boris. I sincerely hope it helps.

Lemme know if there is anything else I can do.

I just listed the mono country sheriff’s office phone number. I’m happy to add Heidi’s if you’d like me to.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/missin...a-skier-94872/
    Thanks Gopher, any new bit on info will greatly help if someone happened to seem him. The Mono country sheriff's office # is plenty, as they are working directly with the S&R and ESAC folks. Thank you again.

John

jbn, I also would be glad to go up and help look. Im sending you an email for my contact info. Was he know to go to the virginia lakes /lundy area? Maybe we need to cover it all

with all the folks on this site, splitboard.com,ttips and unoffical networks we could cover a wide area

Has the vehicle been inspected to evaluate the slight likelihood that he returned only to find it wouldn't start due to rodent damage, dead battery, or something?

What about cell phone, and cell signal availability in the area?

@TEXASS ... Just got your email, thank you. I don't think he had ever been skiing in those areas, but I can't say for sure. If we get word from SAR to start a more general search it seems we will have small army of experienced and local skiers ... the response from the community has been incredible, thank you all again.

Quote Originally Posted by EZB View Post
    Has the vehicle been inspected to evaluate the slight likelihood that he returned only to find it wouldn't start due to rodent damage, dead battery, or something?

What about cell phone, and cell signal availability in the area?
    I'm not sure about the car being inspected, but I imagine the Sheriff's office looked into that first thing yesterday or today. I'm hoping to get word from the Sheriff's office later today. As of yesterday his phone was ringing and going to answering machine, but again I'm not sure if it is with him, in his car or somewhere else. I know the sheriff's office has contacted the phone company about his phone records over the last two weeks, but again I don't have any updates on that either. We're all just waiting at this point to hear any info from SAR or the Sheriff's office . Thanks again everyone.

John

Here is the latest information passed down through a friend who talked to the individual coordinating the search.

As of this evening, the search teams have located a helmet and pole. The groups are trying to determine if these belong to Boris.

The snow after April 20/21 is possibly making it difficult to identify any slides that may be involved in this, but hopefully there will be more info on any slides later tonight.

A pair of skis (Boris had 2 pairs), an ice axe and a tent were found in his car. This seems to indicate that he was not ice climbing and did not plan on camping overnight.

The last cell phone activity from Boris' phone was on April 19th.

Current, there are multiple teams on the ground and more are coming in tomorrow. High winds prevented hampered the helicopter search to some degree, but they trying to bring a helicopter better equipped to deal with high winds tomorrow.

Most importantly, the SAR folks have explicitly asked for anyone not associated with the search to avoid the area. The reason for this is a number of dog teams are out there and too many people can apparently contaminate scents and make things much more difficult. It also sounds like they have a large number of additional folks associated with S&R ready to go out tomorrow.

I'm going to try and get in contact with the ESAC folks and see if we should also avoid searching in any of the surrounding areas in the next few days (virginia lakes, etc).

Thanks for the updates jbn.
    Fingers crossed, and hoping for the best...