WTB: Basicish XC wheelset--aka My first day of lift served

Sweet blog: Telenater took me to N* this past weekend. Being a MTB Jong, I charged into the day excited that my craptastic skills and awesome stock 2007 Kona Dawg that would be adequate for the gnar I was about to slay.

I. Was. Wrong.

More than once on the first warmup run, I was gripped. The only way to un-grip myself was to point the bars downhill, and believe that the bike knew what it was doing. I was only a stupid sack of meat holding the bike back, so let it run. That seemed to work and fueled my confidence. As the day went on, I may have even learned a thing or two. Until we took a wrong turn and ended up on something WAY over my head (Gypsy, I believe). And by over my head, I mean that's where my bike was. Way over my head. After completely failing (flailing?) a 2' drop, burying my front wheel, doing a tuck and roll, bike and body fortunately emerging unscathed I should have cut my losses there.

Hell no, nobody likes a quitter, and it's not a real trip unless someone is bleeding. Let's do it AGAIN (except for the wrong turn part). As the day proceeded, I learned why shin guards, knee pads and elbow pads are a great idea as I lost it several times on the loose dirt and rocks. By 3:30, I'm so battered I can't feel my hands, ass, legs, feet or just about anything else.

We call it a day and start heading down from mid-mountain. Sweet, I've done this section a dozen times, let's switch on auto-pilot. BIG FUCKING MISTAKE. Exit the paved road, through the slow signs and engage the singletrack. Make it about 15' past the signs, got off line and overspeed in a hurry. Apparently nobody told my autopilot to stop banging the stewardess and pay attention. Oh Fuck, I panic. Start to grab too much brake + dropping into a small hole while turning = CARNAGE. Another front flip + hard landing, and I hear a unsettling crunch of my bike landing well after I hit the ground. I take a minute to regather my shit, get up, and my stupid bike won't roll anymore. Front wheel = wrecked. Back wheel, bent but will roll. Blood coming from my right elbox, shoulder, and thigh. Awesome. I am the best rider on the mountain. Time for the walk of shame back to the gondola to download.

Lesson learned: quit before you're too tired to make it back.
    Lesson learned: when everyone around you is on a much bigger bike, and wearing full armor, travel very cautiously.
    Lesson revisited: Telenater will attempt to kill me any chance he gets

TL : DR--I fukked my wheels up and need a basic-ish 26" XC wheelset--6 bolt disc. Anyone got an old set sitting around that you could part with?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Actually, I'm pulling apart my old 26" bike, so I may have a cheap wheel set for you.

What sort of front axle are you running?

NOTE: I am on the wrong coast for you. Finding something local will likely be cheaper.

Where I come from, it's a rule that you don't call last run. Glad you're okay.

I have some basic Mavic wheels that came stock on my 575. I can't remember what they're called because almost every mavic wheel is named "cross something". Anyway, they'd be cheap.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Whoops: a standard QR axle. Nothing but stock parts for me!
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I'm out then. I have 20mm front.

Dude... congratulations on surviving.

Now here's an old, experienced geezer's P.O.V. -- you want to be the pilot, not the passenger.

Trading up to a big bike to continue being the passenger won't give long-term satisfaction. It will just reduce the arm-pump and moments of fright. But new moments of fright will arise on a DH bike -- and they'll arise at higher speeds, with much more dangerous implications for mistakes, moments of lost focus, or simple naive error.

Don't be a typical DOOD and blame the tool. The technique counts for much more than the tool itself.

Polish your skills. Ride with some buds who will help you... or take a clinic with someone like Gene Hamilton.

that was indeed a sweet blog. thumbs up.

last summer i managed to give away or sell a lot of accumulated bike parts, so no can help, sorry.

I have a turner DHR frame I could sell you, and i know of a cheap used Boxxer, if you want to step it up and build a DH bike over the winter....

heh, sounds pretty familiar with my experience at Mt. Snow last weekend. except the taco wheel. i survived, but called it quits at the first sign of blood, i got out without any serious injuries, so i'll consider it a win.

@ UC: I completely agree. I acknowledge that I'm a jong and I need to get better. It was pilot error that drove all of my mistakes/wrecks, not the bike. Lessons and more time out there will help, but between work, the Mrs. and my kid, I don't get out anywhere near enough to even contemplate buying a dedicated DH rig. My lesson about being the guy on the smallest bike with the least armor was more of a lesson in riding where the big dogs ride, and being careful and getting in over my head with my shitty skill set. There's a reason I normally lurk this section of TGR. I am a gaper.

@ frorider: thanks, but no thanks. The Mrs. would murder me for even thinking about bringing a DH rig into the house.

You can usually pick up those Rhyno Lite / Deore wheelsets from Pricepoint / Jenson for under $100 total. They're heavy, and not at all Gucci, but they get the job done, and I've had pretty good luck with them holding together. Hard to beat for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Lesson learned: quit before you're too tired to make it back.
    Lesson learned: when everyone around you is on a much bigger bike (skis), and wearing full armor(avalanche gear), travel very cautiously.
    Lesson revisited: Telenater will attempt to kill me any chance he gets
    Good rules for heading down the mountain; whether your on wheels or planks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Probably too light for what you're looking for, but I have an Easton XC-one wheelset. Great shape, very light, but also not very strong.

I have some well used 07 bontrager race wheels sitting around that I would let go for cheap. UST, a couple spokes have been replaced and there is a piece of a nipple or something rattling around in there somewhere but they still roll fine. W/ or W/O new (cheap) 6" rotors and/or 50%ish cassette. Would have to ship them though.

I have a set of WTB I think Laser disc wheels I would maybe let go cheap, but shipping would probably be required. They are not super heavy but not a true XC wheel. They both roll true. PM if interested.

I have a dt/Hugi 240 front wheel handbuilt on a Mavic 317 (sick wheel) for $125shipped?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    @ UC: I completely agree. I acknowledge that I'm a jong and I need to get better. It was pilot error that drove all of my mistakes/wrecks, not the bike. Lessons and more time out there will help, but between work, the Mrs. and my kid, I don't get out anywhere near enough to even contemplate buying a dedicated DH rig. My lesson about being the guy on the smallest bike with the least armor was more of a lesson in riding where the big dogs ride, and being careful and getting in over my head with my shitty skill set. There's a reason I normally lurk this section of TGR. I am a gaper.
    Yeah I wasn't ripping on you -- not at all. We've all been gapers. I remember my big bike gaper days pretty well because I busted up my body a lot in those days. That's how I know that on a big bike, the penalties for error are bigger because big bikes let you go much faster and bigger than you would on the small bike. I'm trying to share what I learned so that you don't bust up YOUR body like I did to mine.

Totally true that when you're on a 4" or 5" bike and you're riding with 8" bike folks, you'll get into trouble -- even if you're skilled. Agree that it's best to ride similar bikes to what your regular riding friends ride.

Just letting you know what I learned over the long haul, that's all.

Wish I had a wheelset for you but I've purged most of my leftovers.