Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
    New estimated LCC Road opening: 1030
    Bumped up to 11 now.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Bumped up to 11 now.
    Additional delays for the town of Alta probable
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

12:30 is the new estimated time now, White Pine is still being cleared out, Blackjack Bypass Rd. is completely buried, tow ropes have been turned off at Alta ...we'll see you tomorrow
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

jeebus u guys look like u have some sketchy happenings afoot.

Deer Valley with 28 ? damn

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    jeebus u guys look like u have some sketchy happenings afoot.
    and your point is?

who is getting the stickers printed???

my point was too make u ask a stupid fucking question. just commenting on your snowpack. simple as that sherlock.

oh the snowpack..... getting better

So who was out there today? Still some snow left? My flight is not until 1:15pm tomorrow. Would it be worth it to rent a car and head up for 2 hours of skiing Alta tomorrow morn before the flight?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by tr561 View Post
    Deer Valley with 28 ? damn
    Most of that fell yesterday but the trees delivered almost always do there

didn't take much pokin round to find them instabilities

greased facets

stay on top

and safe
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Ok, first, sorry for all the inbounds thrunting, I know this isn't the place for it, hopefully will have some snowpack related info to contribute this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    So who was out there today? Still some snow left? My flight is not until 1:15pm tomorrow. Would it be worth it to rent a car and head up for 2 hours of skiing Alta tomorrow morn before the flight?
    Raps hardly anything opened at Alta or Snowbird today, tomorrow will likely be the better day. I'd say go for it.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

sooooo uhhhhh yeah based on dib's pix yer snowpack really seems to be improving?????

u do realize i was talking about the stability not the depth of yer snowpack right???

really hoping to get back to the wasnatch this year but if thar be dragons lurking all year i'll prolly pass. love the name of yer dog dibs and thanx for sharing those eye-opening pics

Today was fuckin solid... Played the wait for the canyon to open, then hopped online for gad for about 30 till they started loading...outside lines moved quick so still picked up some fresh. Trees were tits underneath gad. After a few laps, we hit little cloud. Good terrain and coverage but the line sucked ass with the 2fer. First day on some praxis protests and they fuckin killed it. Never made it over to the tram. Didn't seem worth it with only regulator open. Still need Peruvian, mineral and gad 2 to open. The dense snowpack that fell yesterday seems to be molding around some of the rocks n such. Shit was well worth the wait.

Sent from my PC36100 using TGR Forums

We went for a ridgeline walk, figuring we'd see some avalanches. The near-constant whumphing was strange. The sensation of dropping an inch or two with each of the hundreds of collapses we experienced didn't make it less weird.

Many slopes had slid during the storm and were in the process of reloading with a new slab, though these slopes weren't reactive today. The fact that the new snow in these start zones is still sitting on a foot or more of facets hints at the possibility that these slopes may slide again.

We remotely triggered this slide from far enough back that we didn't have a good view of it in motion.

Dense snow allowed bouncy turns on mellow terrain.

Man, it was good to be out breaking trail in snow that's not a bottomless sugar pile!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    Today was fuckin solid... Played the wait for the canyon to open, then hopped online for gad for about 30 till they started loading...outside lines moved quick so still picked up some fresh. Trees were tits underneath gad. After a few laps, we hit little cloud. Good terrain and coverage but the line sucked ass with the 2fer. First day on some praxis protests and they fuckin killed it. Never made it over to the tram. Didn't seem worth it with only regulator open. Still need Peruvian, mineral and gad 2 to open. The dense snowpack that fell yesterday seems to be molding around some of the rocks n such. Shit was well worth the wait.

Sent from my PC36100 using TGR Forums
    Listen boy. Don't be cunten the BC obs thread with your bird obs and tomfoolery! Bump the bird thread for that...

BTW, while you slave for the man on Mon I'll be shralping the goods you didn't get to today.... Suckah!!!!

Sent from my cube while working for the man making the doughnuts....
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

oops, posted this in the wrong thread earlier
    Wagner Custom Skis
    Powder snow skiing is not fun. It’s life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality. What we experience in powder is the original human self, which lies deeply inside each of us, still undamaged in spite of what our present culture tries to do to us. Once experienced, this kind of living is recognized as the only way to live–fully aware of the earth and the sky and the gods and you, the mortal, playing among them. Dolores LaChapelle

Things are getting sketchy out there, released this pencil hard, hard slab in West Monitor with a cornice drop today would have been a nasty ride. Went to the ground interface. Nothing left in the bed surface but about an inch of Facets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west monitor hard slab 083.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	108540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west monitor hard slab 127.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	934.3 KB 
ID:	108543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west monitor hard slab 142.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	845.5 KB 
ID:	108552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west monitor hard slab 122.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1,015.3 KB 
ID:	108554  

holy cow! them monitors hardly ever go! scary on a stable year oftentimes. yikes.

rog

ignore this, just trying to subscribe to this thread.

Ski penetration seamed to go down today, although there was still great skiing to be had. Winds were whipping around this morning moving around some snow. Kept it fairly PG... we saw a few shallow wind-slabs pull out.
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

Went up White Pine a bit to see if there was any destruction. No observed slides on Lake, Red Baldy, or Red Top that I could see.

4-5" new overnight, old snow was firmed up and supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Went up White Pine a bit to see if there was any destruction. No observed slides on Lake, Red Baldy, or Red Top that I could see.

4-5" new overnight, old snow was firmed up and supportable.
    1st question:
    Which route did you ascend, via the road or the usual skiers' route West of the Creek, and if you went West of the creek how are the conditions?
    The reason I ask is because I tried going up the West side of the creek back on Dec. 10th and ran into open, running water in the creek gully above the meadow at about 9,100'. I had to make a risky creek crossing to get back over to the road where I headed back down the road with my tail between my legs. After that adventure I wrote in an email to ski buddies,
    "Heh, heh, heh. So much for my early season ski touring in White Pine! I think the route I took probably will be in pretty good shape as soon as we get another 4-6' of snow (:-)".
    So, we've had the additional 4-6' of snow since then. Is the West side creek route OK now?

2nd question:
    How close to the apron below Red Baldy did you go and what were the conditions there?
    On Jan. 10th I followed a skin track up to about 10,000' onto the apron (about where the summer road makes its last switchback before traversing over towards the lake) and then made a short run down from there. But where I was actually on the apron I could tell that everything beneath the recent 4-6" of new snow was facets and sugar snow. My guess was that the entire apron and probably everything above it was the same. My guess is that even though you saw no naturals, skier triggered slides up there would be almost a certainty. Do you agree?

I went up east of the creek, but not entirely up the "road".

That's all I have for you. The rest is up to you to decide, not me.

Hiked up good ol Mill D north today, took a shot at reynolds, got to the summit but the Northern aspects looked loaded with some pretty inconsistent slabs and drifts I didn't want to touch. The Big Water Gulch is pretty skimpy too. Decided that the trail down would be the best way to decend...maybe I had a little too much jong in me, but something gave me the hibby jibbys up there. Just found some nice low angle slopes to yo yo back behind the ridge where all the private cabins are at. Dropped my pack and gave the slopes some more wiggles. Dug a pit and the snow did well with column testing and gave it 27 hits to give me the confidence to ski it. Had about 10 or so wiggles and called her a day. Caught the bus at spruces to give bri town some lovin, the resort was nice snow and still had a lot of powder left if you know where the trees are at!

Talking West Moniter Avalanche UNCENSORED!

Check this out, TURN UP THE VOLUME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Y1WYcQf7yyM