Cane Creek 110 top cover seating question

Finally getting moving on my bike build, and I have a question for anyone that's installed CC 110 headsets. I'm assuming the top bearing cover should be flush with the upper cup once everything is put together? Right now mine wants to sit about ~1.5 mm above the cup, but that can't possibly be right.

I decided I needed to put the tools down before I do something stupid, so I'll take it all back apart tomorrow and figure out why it's not seating properly. If anyone has any suggestions, though, I'm all ears. Never had this problem on any of the S-3's or 40's I've installed before. Do the extra seals on the 110 make the top cover tougher to get seated?

Have you dropped it out of the stand and gotten a good on-the-floor adjustment? That could help.

There seems to be some inconsistencies with some CC headsets sometimes. I've had the top race bottom out on the sides of the cup and had to put in 4 or 5 thin spacers to get it dialed.
    I honestly wouldn't be too worried about it. Post a pic if you can, and we can tell you if you should hit the panic button.

May be elementary, but most headsets come with 1-3 really thin washers/spacers that you can stack on top of the split ring/compression ring in order to change the space between the upper cup and the top race. They are not always necessary (may explain your ~1.5mm gap) - and in some cases, as mentioned by Flowtron, they are not always sufficient. If you have them installed, might explain the gap.

The 110 has a nice blue seal that runs between the cup and the top race - if there's too little stack, you'll have drag from the seal. You'll also want to apply a thin layer of grease to the seal in order to keep it from squeaking against the top cup. I like Slick Honey for this. It also helps slide the top race up/down the steer tube - the o-ring on the 110 can be a real tight fit. (this could be another potential cause for the gap - as already mentioned, it can be helpful to rock it back and forth on the floor while pressing down on the top race - could be that the split ring isn't completely seated in the upper bearing.)

Nice choice on headset - my personal favorite.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, took it apart and I think the compression ring wasn't fully seated. Reassembled everything using a slightly different method (put headset together, then pushed steerer tube up through it, rather than sliding parts down steerer tube one at a time) and it looks good now.