Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Weekday Plus Pass secure. Perfect for me.

Applying for a Business Ambassadors pass as well, my company operates from TSV. Very thankful to dictate my schedule (for the most part).

Still looking for a few hands dry in a house if anyone wants to help frame, set windows, and side (off scaffolding). Work in TSV.

Stoked for the season!

RIP Jean Mayer

"Longtime director of Taos Ski Valley snow sports school dies | Business | taosnews.com" https://www.taosnews.com/news/busine...59bb2c7a4.html

Bon Voyage,. An amazingly abundant, ripping skier, best of the best to which we should all aspire.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

This one day I was loading Lift 2 on the left side, so I was looking off to the left as the chair came around but I heard the lifty on the right sat “Hey, Jean.” I got settled, and looked over, sure as shit there was Jean Meyer. I said hey, he nodded, and it was snowing, not too hard. After a moment or two he started singing softly, Cry Me A River. He sang all the way up, and took off down the low traverse at the top. A real TSV moment.

On spring days sometimes you could see him up in the sun room over the St. B in a Speedo sunbathing. My wife always cracked up.

March 1974, the Western States Race week, I was coming off a decent place.

The races had ended and most of the hard core speed suiters left the valley when it started to snow. And it dumped, starting the first day with 8 inches of graupel and heavy snow, growing colder into the night and continuing the next day in limited visibility. I'd been in Colorado the previous year for some races, but this was the first time I'd ever really seen a rocky mountain dump, being from the mid waste and trying to make the most of the plane fare and cheap lodging.

I'd been skiing the frontside mostly when I saw this older guy at the top of lift 2 that had been officiating, setting the courses and working the time shack. He gestured to me to follow and led me railing down into the west basin, me with my slashing slalom turns, unable to keep up while he cut massive honking turns down into the basin, then leading me out the chutes and eventually in Walkyries Bowl and glades. He was ace cool and waited for me, didn't say much and eventually left to go hang out at the ski school shack in Kachina Basin. That was Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    RIP Jean Mayer

"Longtime director of Taos Ski Valley snow sports school dies | Business | taosnews.com" https://www.taosnews.com/news/busine...59bb2c7a4.html
    Sad news indeed. Guy was so much fun. He was our host at the St. Bernard last time I took my wife there and he so perfectly embodied the European alpine spirit and made TSV what we all know and love it to be. Rest in peace, Jean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1964.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	458.3 KB 
ID:	343280 Jean Mayer was a true legend. He would out ski all of the ski bums that worked fit him that where ⅓ his age.

The lady on the Albuquerque evening news just pronounced his name as “Gene Mayor.”

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The lady on the Albuquerque evening news just pronounced his name as “Gene Mayor.”
    Burque always repping.....FFS.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

RIP Jean Mayer

I enjoyed Jean.

His cocky shtick was a bit much at times, but he was hustling himself up a living with it, and as a fellow ski bum I respected his ability to make the fine life he had made for himself and his family.

Once, he skied up to me while I was waiting for somebody near some of his students. I said “yeah! Nice turns!”, and instead of being normal about it, he turned the volume to 11 and yelled in his most french accent VELL VAT DEED YEWW EXXPECCCTUH! and looked around at his students.
    Alrighty guy. But he was making it work, and he lasted longer in that game than almost anyone, God love him.

When Suzanne Mayer, Dadou’s daughter who lived in a van behind Jean’s lodge, went to jail, I got her coyote dog...who was my little soulmate for many years.

Jean’s glade is a great run, and a truly appropriate tribute to a classic character for classic times in a classic place.

I really appreciated his contribution to a unique ski school environment where they really celebrated and emphasized truly athletic skiing in all kinds of tricky steep bumpy spaces.

I like to think of St Peter telling him “hey, nice life” and him blaring full bore WELL WHAT DID YOU EXPECCCT!!

This one day I was loading Lift 2 on the left side, so I was looking off to the left as the chair came around but I heard the lifty on the right sat “Hey, Jean.” I got settled, and looked over, sure as shit there was Jean Meyer. I said hey, he nodded, and it was snowing, not too hard. After a moment or two he started singing softly, Cry Me A River. He sang all the way up, and took off down the low traverse at the top. A real TSV moment.

On spring days sometimes you could see him up in the sun room over the St. B in a Speedo sunbathing. My wife always cracked up.
    Omg the speedo!

I had forgotten that.

Nice junk Jean....
    WELL WHAT DEED YOU EXPECCCCTUH

Last season, I was seeing this woman that grew up in France and she went in to the St. B office one day to look into maybe staying at the St. B for less than a full week, and ended up talking in fluent French with JM. I was waiting outside and she came out and dragged me in to the office. JM seemed completely charmed by my friend, who introduced me as a ski patroller. He was very nice, smiled a lot, and kind of fawned over her, so much that I was hoping for a deal on a stay, or even just a comped drink at the bar, but no...

VELL, VAT DEED I EXPECCCCTUH?

RIP in the sky Jean.

I took a ski week from him when I was coming off of my last year of racing. Freaking rad.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

TAOS New Mexico....BETA.....?

From last night storm:

/webcam screenshot

Oh man, the changes just keep coming. Snowboards, a lift up Kachina Peak, now the St. B. is getting sold to Louis Bacon.
    https://www.taosnews.com/news/hotel-...878def48f.html

I suppose we shoulda seen this coming, but it makes me feel SO old.

Oh man, the changes just keep coming. Snowboards, a lift up Kachina Peak, now the St. B. is getting sold to Louis Bacon.
    https://www.taosnews.com/news/hotel-...878def48f.html

I suppose we shoulda seen this coming, but it makes me feel SO old.
    fuck. what a shame, one of the classic ski bars in the world.

Sounds like best case scenario to me? Jean is no longer here and it reads like this was his plan and vision for when he was gone. Better than some Texas kook coming in and buying the place

May be they’ll start accepting credit cards

Sounds like best case scenario to me? Jean is no longer here and it reads like this was his plan and vision for when he was gone. Better than some Texas kook coming in and buying the place
    This is my hope.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

rip ripper

I was skiing Taos few years ago and some deuche took out a really old skier at lift bottom, from calf height. Flipped him full a 360 backward flip, pretty sure victim was Jean...lol, he got right up uninjured ..and culprit ski d' off before he could get nailed 4 it. Kudos to Jean ,was one tough dude.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

a lifetime later....

A grey bearded, pot-bellied, broken old ski bum pours a big mug of sour beer together with a big glass of sweet white wine and tells the manager of the struggling bar next door he'll plow their lot for free until things pick back up....but it'll cost 'er big someday...the lulz are lulzy. He knows she has no idea he stole that tact from the Murray Ball intro in Blizzard of Aaahhs.

He says "hey whatever happened to Tim, isn't he gonna plow this year?"

Well, she says, Tim owned that truck with 2 other guys, you know those guys who are killing it with the weed now, and once they started making all that weed money they kinda forced him out. And Tim was a little bummed, but hey, whatever man, he picked himself up and decided to really focus on his new wife and their shipping container tiny house off the grid.

And as this fat ol grey ski bum listened, glancing out the window toward the fancy condos and high end hotel being built in his old Michigan iron-mining hometown, he realized This Shit had somehow stuck to him and followed him home like some hungry old mesa coyote.

Dang, he thought....I better ride home and write this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    a lifetime later....

A grey bearded, pot-bellied, broken old ski bum pours a big mug of sour beer together with a big glass of sweet white wine and tells the manager of the struggling bar next door he'll plow their lot for free until things pick back up....but it'll cost 'er big someday...the lulz are lulzy. He knows she has no idea he stole that tact from the Murray Ball intro in Blizzard of Aaahhs.

He says "hey whatever happened to Tim, isn't he gonna plow this year?"

Well, she says, Tim owned that truck with 2 other guys, you know those guys who are killing it with the weed now, and once they started making all that weed money they kinda forced him out. And Tim was a little bummed, but hey, whatever man, he picked himself up and decided to really focus on his new wife and their shipping container tiny house off the grid.

And as this fat ol grey ski bum listened, glancing out the window toward the fancy condos and high end hotel being built in his old Michigan iron-mining hometown, he realized This Shit had somehow stuck to him and followed him home like some hungry old mesa coyote.

Dang, he thought....I better ride home and write this one up.
    You are a poet, man.

I went to look for Blizzard of Aahhs. YouTube has it. Yeah. But dubbed in Spanish. Fuck.

TAOS New Mexico....BETA.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    You are a poet, man.

I went to look for Blizzard of Aahhs. YouTube has it. Yeah. But dubbed in Spanish. Fuck.
    Blizzard of Aahhs is on Amazon Prime if you’re looking for it.