Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    We looked into staying slope side at Taos at the Blake. Holy shit is that place expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    We looked into staying slope side at Taos at the Blake. Holy shit is that place expensive!
    What did you expect?! The Blake is the signature property of the new ownership. Of course it's going to be expensive. Practically any other place up there will be cheaper than the Blake.

There's a far cheaper alternative: Stay in somewhere between the Ski Valley and town that's close to a shuttle stop (RideTheBlueBus.com). The shuttle's free and, by the time you've unloaded from it, just about as fast as taking your own vehicle up the hill, parking it, and catching a Ski Valley parking shuttle to its drop off point.

good luck,
    john

What’s the parking/sleeping situation like? Specific lots or anywhere goes? I will be self contained, no hookups needed

They park RV's down low on the right when you come into the ski area in Deer lot. I park my TC up past the shuttle drop off. Super low key and wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Kinda funny this jong started this thread in 2011 and it still lives on. Taos deserves more!
    I’ve been curious about this one. Really, some dude that’s on TGR just moves here on a whim without knowing there is a world class ski area up the road?

A jolly stoke troll of sorts?

Anyone at Taos tomorrow?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Anyone at Taos tomorrow?
    Raises hand. Knee deep in Hidalgo 4:20 PM MST.

All black with Billy Goats on my feet.

Not sure what time I’ll get up there / maybe wind hold and the like.

I’ll be in the first chair lineup. Prob only skiing till 1-2ish.

Green jacket, black crows. Stupid tele.

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    It’s interesting to think of the ski valley with a corporate vibe. With all the construction and development, it may appear that way on the surface. But it doesn’t seem the case at all in regards to the vibe on the hill.

First thing today I was greeted by the CEO and chatted for a bit about good snow and terrain openings. Ran into multiple friends at the base all stemming from different walks of life. Caught up with lifties and made plans to jam. Everyone I saw today had a smile on their face and was stoked to be there.

No matter how much money gets dumped into Taos Ski Valley, I really don’t think you can make this place “douchy”. That won’t change the terrain or weaken the stoke. It may bring down dorky front-rangers with tech setups and gopros. If you don’t like that, don’t ski on the weekend.

We have a beautiful ski area under crystal clear skies with an extremely unique surroundings.
    Hey it’s the PR dept! Right on time!

Just for the record, I'm a decent skier. Just 45. Dudes that were like 65, damn. Straight skiing me into the ground. Fuck.

Taos is no fucking joke.

It’s a four letter word for steep

They're reporting 14" overnight. FUCK, I wish I had driven down yesterday!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Entire mountain on wind/avy hold

Well, glad I stayed home, then.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Hey it’s the PR dept! Right on time!
    Louis Bacon isn't the worst person to own tsv from my limited perspective. Somebody had to buy it. Not a fan of "taos air" or the Kachina lift, but the base needed a makeover. And we all know that the lift was in Ernie's master plan...so. I haven't seen the base area in person, but the old buildings were tired.

TSV being so far from a major airport will most likely keep the place pretty chill relatively speaking when you look at every other large hill in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Entire mountain on wind/avy hold
    Fake news. I skied 9:00-1:00 and rode chairs the entire time.

They’ve opened something out back because people are on the return trail.

Hoping Sat won't be too much of a shitshow from the holiday weekend crowd--may have to park at the bav to avoid long lift 1 lines if there are some issues with weather.
    Ski The East

TSV being so far from a major airport will most likely keep the place pretty chill relatively speaking when you look at every other large hill in the US.
    That's what I always think: there's just no easy way to get there. It's high on my list of places to move
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

TAOS New Mexico....BETA.....?

After a brief delay, today was excellent. 1 opened shortly after 9, 2 around 10/1030ish, 7 and 7a around noon. Then Lorelei around 230.

Bombs were still going off when I got to my car at 330. So maybe they were trying to get longhorn/Werner’s open?

Despite the holiday crowds, this weekend will be super good. West basin and highline never opened, 4 never opened, walkeries too.

From 12-3 ish it was blowing so hard it was refills on the chair 2 steeps. Not like blower overhead, but punchy wind buff that flattened out the bumps completely. So. Fkn. Fun to go fast through those trees. I still have a boner.

Backside opening was great timing as I needed a break from hammering everything on 2. Tracking up the blue runs and mellow trees was a sweet rest for a few laps.

Lorelei opening in the afternoon was icing on the cake. Three laps in there to end my day.

The closed chair 2 around 2ish because it was blowing so hard. They kept 7/7a open and Lorelei was fantastic in the trees.

I suspect ropes will be dropping tomorrow and it’ll be game on.

Driving home via 64-W was the worst driving conditions I’ve ever seen (really) near hopewell lake.
    Last edited by Tech Tonics; 01-18-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Pfft...Mickey was the biggest douchebag. And they should have allowed snowboarding 30 years ago.
    Sounds like everything went your way then. You win.

Saw that Kachina was open the other day but closed today, along with several trails/bowls. Avalanche control? Hasn't snowed much in last 3 days (5") but wind may be an issue.

They opened Kachina mid day but lift 4 was down all day for maintenance, so if you hiked out you were having a country club day, on a country club day

Question for the local mags...is there reliable, decently fast, public WiFi available anywhere in the base area of TSV? Thinking of coming down for a week, but I need to log in to a conference call for work each day, mid-morning for 1-2 hrs. Would rather do that at the mountain instead of driving all the way back to town. I read an article indicating there is...but...can anyone confirm/deny?

I’ve never used the TSV WiFi for anything other than texting and things like reading TRG. But it seemed okay.