Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    vibes+++
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    Somber vibes this afternoon. Super sad day.
    I think it was the '93-'94 season we lost 3 people. Not an avi, but head injuries. One was a young kid, maybe 13, skating on Rubezahl and went off the edge of the firm groomer and highsided into a tree. His parents were part time ski instructers. They were the first people I saw wearing helmets free skiiing after that incident.

That was a brutal snowpack year though. Kachina ripped out huge and they had to shut down lift 4 for a few days to clean up the debris with the cats. Same time Dog leg ripped out and hit the house I was living in on Cliffhanger.

Sorry to hear, not to downplay but as is so often, could have been much worse.

Was the chair running, or was this just a hike day?

I worked at the sv one year and
    That was the sketchiest upside down snow pack I've ever seen. There was a 1-2' styrofoam like crust and every so often you would punch through it to about a foot or two of sugar. Sometimes it was just air. So the whole snowpack was floating off the ground. Even sounded hollow skiing on it. I was ready for that whole thing to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Was the chair running, or was this just a hike day?
    Chair was spinning. K3 (and the rest of the Peak) had been being skied regularly. Bumps forming.

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    Chair was spinning. K3 (and the rest of the Peak) had been being skied regularly. Bumps forming.
    Damn.

According to KOAT Albuquerque, the family has identified the deceased as Matthew Zonghetti of Massachusetts.

Zonghetti, age 26 and a lifelong skier, reportedly took annual ski trips with his father, who was at the mountain’s base when the avalanche occurred. As of Friday afternoon, the other victim, currently unidentified, remains in critical condition at the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, a spokesperson has confirmed.
    https://backcountrymagazine.com/stor...cal-condition/

Brutal...

Sounds very unfortunate. So sad for a 26yo to die in an avalanche skiing in bounds. Keenly interested in any analysis to come.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Highlands basically bootpacks every square inch of Highlands Bowl early in the season. It's probably one of the most aggressive preventative avy mitigation programs in the country.
    I've only skied a couple days at Highlands but it reminded me a lot of Taos. This was before Kachina had the lift. Hike-to terrain to a 12,400 ft peak in the Rockies. Skied some great pow and hit lots of rocks at both places.

Quote Originally Posted by hofman View Post
    I worked at the sv one year and
    That was the sketchiest upside down snow pack I've ever seen. There was a 1-2' styrofoam like crust and every so often you would punch through it to about a foot or two of sugar. Sometimes it was just air. So the whole snowpack was floating off the ground. Even sounded hollow skiing on it. I was ready for that whole thing to go.
    Yeah...styro over air is right.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yeah...styro over air is right.
    And that's if you're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Hope the other guy lives but it sounds like he was buried for a very long time. Not good.

+++
    Vibes, brothers.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Just to update... both skiers passed away.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Finished up a 3 day on Tues. Skiing well overall, 1" mini-pow day on Tues and 9 hikes to tie my personal record. The high traffic areas are showing wear and you WILL hit rocks, but overall no major damage.

High somewhere, T-bird trees were pretty good in W basin, but more snow needed for the bigger entrances. Stauf/Trib nice and chalky. Accidently dropped in Turbinator which is 190cm wide right now.
    Bummer to not have Kachina spinning as that really opens up some fun lines. K3 slid down to rocks, but K1 and main street look well covered. Patrol was poking around lower K3, supposedly there were hollow pockets underneath the new snow. Nice snow and good coverage off Highline.

Reporting 20” from Le Ski Mastery roof.

Marketing department is on point it as a big storm + weekend crowds resulted in 8-ish minute lift lines at chair 1 and 2. Unheard of at TSV. But great to see commerce at our otherwise ghost town ski area.

Untracked all day if you know where to look.

We’re bringing the leisure back into powder skiing. Posi vibes only.

Hopefully Kachina hike to only on Tuesday and I’ll have worked myself out of a job.

Ask Alain about the VR-70s.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Taos is a cool place, glad they are finally getting the goods. Climate change is slowly putting them out of business.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Taos mags, what's the latest on conditions and best guess for Sunday through Tuesday?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    Taos mags, what's the latest on conditions and best guess for Sunday through Tuesday?
    It's skiing very well, there's a storm predicted for Saturday so it might be really good after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    It's skiing very well, there's a storm predicted for Saturday so it might be really good after that.
    Cool. Thanks for the beta. Heading to NM tomorrow. First time skiing at Taos.

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the beta. Heading to NM tomorrow. First time skiing at Taos.
    I'll be up there Tuesday if you want to make some turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat51 View Post
    I'll be up there Tuesday if you want to make some turns.
    Sounds great. I'll send you a PM Monday night.

I’ll be up Sunday, Monday and probably Tuesday as well.

If anyone wants to link up, I’d love to show you around. PM me.