Page 32 of 60 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Interview with CEO of Taos, David Borden.

Goodbye St Bernard.

https://castbox.fm/vb/424128228

Here’s your chance to earn a little sweat equity for a Taos pass. I got this in email but didn’t find it on their site yet. Cool program, I kinda wish I hadn’t already bought my pass.

We are excited to announce a new Boot Packing Program! Boot packing is an effective way to help prepare the terrain for a future opening when there is not yet enough snow to ski. We are asking for 30 volunteers to help with the program in exchange for a season pass!

Program Overview:
    Dates: the program will begin when Ski Patrol deems the depth of snow to be in the correct range to benefit most from packing – likely between late October and late November.

Work Days:
    Each workday will be from 8:00am – 5:00pm lead by a group of Taos Ski Patrollers.
    10 days of packing earns a participant a Kachina Pass.
    7 days of packing earns a participant a Value Pass.
    If weather or other factors limit the number of days we can boot pack, participants will have the hours they worked prorated against the price of a season pass.

Please note, this program involves strenuous hiking in high-alpine terrain with steep and rocky areas. All participants will be required to go through an application process to confirm eligibility, sign a waiver, and have the following gear before starting:
    An avalanche rescue beacon broadcasting at 457khz.
    Warm boots with a rugged sole. Alpine touring boots are ideal.
    Full winter clothing that can withstand a full day outside at 12,000 feet.
    A backpack to carry food, water, and extra layers of clothing.
    If interested, click the apply now button to fill out the form. Someone from Ski Patrol will reach out for an interview.

For questions, please email bootpack@skitaos.com.
    link: https://form.jotform.com/212644305506146

TAOS New Mexico....BETA.....?

Taos/Santa Fe mags, looking for some advice for a coworker friend who is house searching in Santa Fe. He’s having a tough time finding anything online and I was thinking a good RE agent may help out a lot.

If you’ve got any information feel free to PM.

He’ll be working at the national lab FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

TAOS New Mexico....BETA.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Here’s your chance to earn a little sweat equity for a Taos pass. I got this in email but didn’t find it on their site yet. Cool program, I kinda wish I hadn’t already bought my pass.

rl]
    If it’s anything like Highlands boot packing, it’s a young, unemployed poor person’s gig.
    It’s really hard work for $100/day.

You’ll want really good gaiters or wear old ski pants and duct tape them to your boots.

Post-holing really deep snow, kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If it’s anything like Highlands boot packing, it’s a young, unemployed poor person’s gig.
    It’s really hard work for $100/day.

You’ll want really good gaiters or wear old ski pants and duct tape them to your boots.

Post-holing really deep snow, kinda sucks.
    At Taos, it’s wearing skis - I just heard there’s no skis and it’s brutal at Highlands. Taos is just sidestepping down the fall line with skis on. Boring, but not too hard.

But yeah, don’t be wearing your nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Taos/Santa Fe mags, looking for some advice for a coworker friend who is house searching in Santa Fe. He’s having a tough time finding anything online and I was thinking a good RE agent may help out a lot.

If you’ve got any information feel free to PM.

He’ll be working at the national lab FWIW.

He should ask future coworkers/hiring manager for RE recommendation. Lab folks are friendly. Anyone he was in contact will help.

Very dry and warm opening day. Most people rode their bikes instead. A few old timers forecasting a late and severe winter…

The suck. At least there’s no snow to speak of.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA5CC6A5-83E9-43AC-8528-67DE4000CD56.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	396807

I hear there were some massive blow downs up there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

What is Red River like my dudes?

Never skied NM but upon doing research looks cool how the base area is situated in town? Dont see that every day… appears to be somehwat authentic ski town that hasnt been overly commercialized ?

Trail map looks like a decent New England Mountain dropped into The Sangres ?

Worth a day trip if I am in Taos/ SW colorado ?

I think of RR as a haven for Texan tourists…because it is. To be fair, in my 30 years in NM I’ve never skied there, never heard of a good reason to.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Best ski town in North America according to USA Today! Looks like someone just injected that area with some advertising dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post

Never skied NM but upon doing research looks cool how the base area is situated in town? Dont see that every day… appears to be somehwat authentic ski town that hasnt been overly commercialized ?

Trail map looks like a decent New England Mountain dropped into The Sangres ?

Worth a day trip if I am in Taos/ SW colorado ?
    Not worth a day to ski there unless you enjoy relaxed easy cruising. I skied there one day many, many years ago (1980 I think) before Taos had opened for the season. Very friendly staff, decent food at restaurants in town.. A pleasant experience. Hopefully the good things about the place haven't changed.. But I don't think the skiing is any more challenging now than it was then.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The suck. At least there’s no snow to speak of.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA5CC6A5-83E9-43AC-8528-67DE4000CD56.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	396807
    low tide

https://live2.brownrice.com/embed/tsvridge

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    That's twice as much snow as last time I looked.

The base of 4 got ravaged by the wind storm.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Rumors of The Ridge opening after this storm…

We’ll just see if chair 1 spins tomorrow.

Looks like my girlfriend and I are booked weekend Feb 28. We both like steeps and trees. Any suggestions for an itinerary of sequential lifts/runs to ski to get the lay of the land?

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Looks like my girlfriend and I are booked weekend Feb 28. We both like steeps and trees. Any suggestions for an itinerary of sequential lifts/runs to ski to get the lay of the land?
    Talk to Meadow Skipper - he knows everything TSV.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Talk to Meadow Skipper - he knows everything TSV.
    I am sure he knows how conditions will be on Feb. 28. Whipski will be fine they sell beer at the Bavarian.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Ride up frontside/Al's Run, warmup White Feather down to West Basin.

Take lift 2 to the top of West Basin, look viewers right to see the West Basin Chutes like Oster, etc. To viewers left are Caster and Pollux.

Start down Honeysuckle and look to skiers right to see the lower ridge runs which are on the bootpack from the top of West Basin.

Take a skiers left onto Totemoff to hit lift 7 and then 7A , look to viewers right into Walkyries chute and woods.

Either ski those or do another Honeysuckle variant to get to Kachina Basin lift (lift 4). Up Kachina Basin to see Kachina Peak lift.

There's a number of runs off the East side, skiers right, of Bambi , the cruiser that goes from the top of West basin to the top of Al's Run, that are more obscure. Walkyries Chutes at the top, then Lorelei and Longhorn, typically long leg burner bump runs. Sir Arnold Lunn is a gladed steep pitch in there.

My favs for steeps and trees include the West Basin chutes, Castor/Pollux. Walkyries chutes and glades, Sir Arnold Lunn, Jean's Glade.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I am sure he knows how conditions will be on Feb. 28. Whipski will be fine they sell beer at the Bavarian.
    Well, nobody knows that smartass. But you knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    <snip> Walkyries Chutes at the top, then Lorelei and Longhorn, typically long leg burner bump runs. Sir Arnold Lunn is a gladed steep pitch in there.
    It's worth noting that Walkyries, Arnold Lunn, and Lorelei can get you back to lift 7 or The Bavarian, while Longhorn, North American, and Ernies (all steep with some trees) will send you back to the base.

And jeezus are Longhorn, NA, and Ernies ruinous (on my legs) for me if I do them at the end of the day to get back to the base. But mucho fun.

Do a ski week. Best value in instruction anywhere. Nobody is too good for that ski school. I dare you to jump into a level nine or ten group.

Unfortunately I just learned my instructor retired. That place is changing over fast from the old generation. Catch it before it loses it's greatest asset, it's people.

As long as Alain is still running Le Ski Mastery and the Bavarian still has beers on the deck we should be fine
    https://leskimastery.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Do a ski week. Best value in instruction anywhere. Nobody is too good for that ski school. I dare you to jump into a level nine or ten group.
    Fuck ski lessons.

Name:  ineptitudedemotivator.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  36.3 KB

<snip> before it loses it's greatest asset, it's people.
    I wonder if they offer grammar lessons for old people.