Page 27 of 60 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm no Taos local (har har), but, if you want some pow on Kachina first day after a storm, you're going to have to hike for it. Last two times I've been there, that was the deal, it seemed.
    You're absolutely right, this is the deal. But, if the chair is running, the ridge line---even the Hillary Step---gets bumped out with skiers on the way downhill to K1 and K2. You do not want to hike it if that chair is running.

cheers,
    john

I thought so. It's some sort of unwritten policy that hikers still get the fresh before the chair runs, right?

I thought so. It's some sort of unwritten policy that hikers still get the fresh before the chair runs, right?
    I don't know the formal policy, but I've never seen them open the chair without opening it to hiking first.

Oh, and I also agree with you on the St B. Another thing: They have the best draft beer selection in the Ski Valley; no dirndls, though.

cheers,
    john

Forecast calling for 10+ today and tomorrow. I may drive down tonight. Anyone else contemplating this opportunity?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I’ll likely be Ther Monday.

Any cheap hotel recommendations in the area for a quick trip? Considering...

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    The classic: https://www.snowmansion.com/

Caveat: I’ve never stayed there, but others here have.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I stayed at the Kachina Lodge in town once. About what you’d expect for $60/night but had a killer breakfast too.

The Historic Taos Inn has a four night for the price of three again this winter. Not cheap, but pretty damn fair. Great bar, always a band, walkable to anywhere on the main drag. Good food.

I'll be there all day both Monday and Tuesday. Most likely, one can find me either at that little coffee joint in the base area or that doughnut place going "nom, nom, nom" on those powdered thingys.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

TAOS New Mexico....BETA.....?

Rallied down for the weekend ikon invasion.

Love that mountain. Love for the most part the improvements and changes since i was last there in 2004ish.

Storm fizzled a bit but 5” was just enough to ski quite good untracked. Our crew got first tracks down longhorn!

Got my frito pie fix too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Love that mountain. Love for the most part the improvements and changes since i was last there in 2004ish.
    So I take you to mean that you and your crew were not among the unlucky souls who got stuck on Chair 1 for an hour on Sunday?

Driving down tomorrow. First time skiing there. Stoked for the skiing, not so much the drive time.

A good day skiing with skaredshtles and his buddy who, it turned out, I’d met 20 years ago at Silverton. Lots of fresh and scraps in the stashes.

I didn’t go by the donut place.

Quote Originally Posted by jrredho View Post
    I don't know the formal policy, but I've never seen them open the chair without opening it to hiking first.

Oh, and I also agree with you on the St B. Another thing: They have the best draft beer selection in the Ski Valley; no dirndls, though.

cheers,
    john
    did they put a chairlift up to the top ridgeline since I was there???? That's f'kn weak if they did.. no need for gapers up there
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Here's my Taos story (from March last year, on a road trip from coast to coast):

After a fun, uncrowded powder day in Wolf Creek I made my way towards Taos and ended up sleeping under the stars near the Rio Grande/Arroyo Hondo (0F sleeping bags are great). Having no access to a shower, a morning soak in the hot springs near my camp site seemed like a great idea to start my Taos ski day. It turned out to be a pretty busy affair, with a bunch of Durango locals on their way to a rafting adventure camping on the turnout and going for a morning soak as well. The one other soaker was a Taos local who called himself Disco (or something like that, can't remember tbh) and, between trying to sell us shrooms and weed, had all kinds of stories on how he had been maintaining these hot springs after rock slides and floods (much appreciated, Disco!).

The skiing at Taos was great (no freshies but still soft and edgeable on the steeps). The rocky conditions that everyone talks about didn't seem to be much of an issue this season (2018-2019). I ended up chatting with some Santa Fe locals on the chairlift and had them show me some of the mountain.

After dinner in Taos proper, I figured I might as well go for another soak before sleeping under the stars again. By the time I get there, it's dark and there are 3-4 dudes in the hot springs. One guy turns out to be someone from Montana who recently moved there, bartends at the local bar, and lives in a trailer nearby. The other 2 are just plain weird, and keep telling their dog to shut up. It turns out they met Disco too earlier that day, bought his shrooms, and were seriously tripping. At some point they started howling with the dog for a solid minute. They keep talking about "these tweakers" (which I later learn, from mr. Montana, are meth-heads), but as the evening wears on, it becomes increasingly clear they are in fact tweakers themselves. They didn't bring a headlamp of course so when it's time to leave, they take a good 15 minutes finding their belongings and clumsily getting dressed (despite me offering my headlamp), swearing and muttering nonsense (f'ing tweakers!). After they finally leave, I can hear their swearing and muttering for another 20 minutes as they stumble back to the trailhead 200 yards away. At that point I do get a little worried about my car, which has literally all my belongings as I am doing this road trip as part of a move. However, I hear no sounds of shattering glass so I hope for the best.

That leaves just me and mr. Montana, and finally some rest. It turns out mr. Montana has other things on his mind. As soon as it's just the two of us left, he goes "here we are, 2 naked guys in a hot spring. Just so you know... I am 100% straight. In case you were having any ideas or something". I wanna laugh out loud, briefly consider some funny answers ("oh man, that's a bummer, I was really looking forward to some good b*tt action now that these methheads are gone") but end up playing nice and confirm that there is nothing to worry about. Not sure what's going on in Montana, but they might want to have some more open conversations about sexuality.

After making sure none of us were going to suddenly start sexually approaching the other, mr. Montana let me know that he heard there were some rumors of staph infections arising from this hot spring so he recommended showering after. I didn't really believe him or the rumors, but I figured a quick rinse in the river (by lack of shower) wouldn't hurt. Well, it did kinda hurt, but lo and behold, no staph infections for this guy. Also, my car turned out to be okay.

The next day I woke up early and drove all the way to Oklahoma City. The fun was over and Taos seemed like a distant dream.

Yes. It’s a never ending conveyor belt of weird.
    Can it be too much? Maybe.

Stay there long enough, you might permanently damage your ability to feel normal amongst the Norms and Normas of nonweird murica.
    You may adjust in ways you don’t even understand and probably can’t undo.

NOT ME THOUGH, I’M DOING FANTASTIC OUT HERE IN THE BLANDLANDS!

WHO NEEDS INTERESTING PEOPLE AND SCENERY AND STEEP SKIING?

NOT THIS FELLA!

DEFINITELY NOT COMPLETELY BORED TO DEATH, LIFE FORCE WITHERING TO A TINY POOF OF ASH, LITERALLY WISHING FOR DEATH AS A SIMPLE EFFICIENT WAY TO END THE PERSISTENT CRUSHING BOREDOM!

NOT AT ALL!!!

WHAT? WHO SAID BORED? I’M NOT BORED!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    A good day skiing with skaredshtles and his buddy who, it turned out, I’d met 20 years ago at Silverton. Lots of fresh and scraps in the stashes.

I didn’t go by the donut place.
    Thanks for the tour, MS. Not a lot of places you can get fresh tracks at noon after lazing around all morning.

We actually *did* get suckered by the donuts as we were leaving. They were delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by jrredho View Post
    So I take you to mean that you and your crew were not among the unlucky souls who got stuck on Chair 1 for an hour on Sunday?
    Patrol said they were about 2 minutes away from repelling folks off the chairs. He was pretty stoked about it.

I was bummed to find WB closed most of the weekend for the comp.

TAOS New Mexico....BETA.....?

Jeeeshh

No I missed that thankfully. Spent 1 hr in the wind on whatever was there before #2 at the top 20 years ago when an empty chair came around the bullwheel and swung out and grabbed the wired outside lift controls hanging and ripped it out. We were 3-4 chairs down and saw torn wires and shit go flying off the bullwheel. Thought cable was breaking and almost jumped off. Then stuck freezing cold. Not fun. Gave us hot cocoa vouchers.

Whats the story with that blue bottles glade?

TSV may have the largest collection of giant, weirdly spaced moguls on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    TSV may have the largest collection of giant, weirdly spaced moguls on the planet.
    Blame the snowboarders for that.

It used to be all the telemarkers with their long radius knee drop turns. I actually like the big long moguls a lot better than the short choppy ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    It used to be all the telemarkers with their long radius knee drop turns. I actually like the big long moguls a lot better than the short choppy ones.

Yeah, I was probably guilty of that.