Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    <snip> the Bavarian still has beers on the deck
    This was like 2 weeks before the world kinda shut down...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bavarian_Big-Beer.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	401495

Alain has the only pair of Dynamic VR70s, with cracked aluminum sidewalls, I've seen since the 70s. They're on the wall in the back.

I was partial to the St. Bernanrd, personally...
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ride up frontside/Al's Run, warmup White Feather down to West Basin.

Take lift 2 to the top of West Basin, look viewers right to see the West Basin Chutes like Oster, etc. To viewers left are Caster and Pollux.

Start down Honeysuckle and look to skiers right to see the lower ridge runs which are on the bootpack from the top of West Basin.

Take a skiers left onto Totemoff to hit lift 7 and then 7A , look to viewers right into Walkyries chute and woods.

Either ski those or do another Honeysuckle variant to get to Kachina Basin lift (lift 4). Up Kachina Basin to see Kachina Peak lift.

There's a number of runs off the East side, skiers right, of Bambi , the cruiser that goes from the top of West basin to the top of Al's Run, that are more obscure. Walkyries Chutes at the top, then Lorelei and Longhorn, typically long leg burner bump runs. Sir Arnold Lunn is a gladed steep pitch in there.

My favs for steeps and trees include the West Basin chutes, Castor/Pollux. Walkyries chutes and glades, Sir Arnold Lunn, Jean's Glade.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    It's worth noting that Walkyries, Arnold Lunn, and Lorelei can get you back to lift 7 or The Bavarian, while Longhorn, North American, and Ernies (all steep with some trees) will send you back to the base.

And jeezus are Longhorn, NA, and Ernies ruinous (on my legs) for me if I do them at the end of the day to get back to the base. But mucho fun.
    Admittedly, i can’t forecast the conditions, I also can’t can’t improve on these two posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Admittedly, i can’t forecast the conditions, I also can’t can’t improve on these two posts.
    I'm calling bullshit.

@whipski - just have MS take you on a tour while you're there.

Take lift 2 to the top of West Basin, look viewers right to see the West Basin Chutes like Oster, etc. To viewers left are Caster and Pollux.

Start down Honeysuckle and look to skiers right to see the lower ridge runs which are on the bootpack from the top of West Basin.

Take a skiers left onto Totemoff to hit lift 7 and then 7A , look to viewers right into Walkyries chute and woods.

Either ski those or do another Honeysuckle variant to get to Kachina Basin lift (lift 4). Up Kachina Basin to see Kachina Peak lift.

There's a number of runs off the East side, skiers right, of Bambi , the cruiser that goes from the top of West basin to the top of Al's Run, that are more obscure. Walkyries Chutes at the top, then Lorelei and Longhorn, typically long leg burner bump runs. Sir Arnold Lunn is a gladed steep pitch in there.

My favs for steeps and trees include the West Basin chutes, Castor/Pollux. Walkyries chutes and glades, Sir Arnold Lunn, Jean's Glade.
    Good advice from Buster!!. But I would add that if you are lucky enough to have a powder day for your first day .don't hesitate to head to the top and do some hiking to west basin or Kachina basin.. My favorite was twin trees chute when I lived there...but it all depends on the pace of lift openings .. Sometimes it was best to do a few runs on Al's or Snakedance.. Because the lifts to the top were slow to open so patrol could finish their work on the steeper runs in West Basin..but the great front side bump runs are even more fun with powder so it was always good...
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Best overview ever.

It’s surprising how compact Taos is. Yet legs get destroyed by jongs and core skiers alike.

So you've been there before?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Fuck ski lessons.

Yes. Although, knowing a bunch of those old schoolers and RIP Max (he was the man!) I pretty much agree with this statement. But if you're an intermediate, or yes an advanced skier, you can pick up some tips from that school. They 'were' very good instructors. I say 'were' because that was years ago for me when I knew some of them. No idea today.

First did TSV in 1974 when Honeysuckle was called Rubezahl, second place I ever skied out west.

I had flubbed making the Nationals and USSA held the "losers" race for the next group of 100 juniors at TSV.

I've always had a baby face and remember going to order a pitcher of beer at one of the bars where the bartender clapped his hand over his eyes as he handed me the pitcher and glasses.

Got back there for a week in 1985 and then again a few times 2006-2016 with the family. Love the Abominable Snowmansion.

Got to hike Kachina the last year before the lift too. Bittersweet. Took the kids ages 13 & 11 up there the first year the lift was open.

Was my favorite mountain until Silverton came along.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

It’s snowing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    I have to get back there and see all the changes. Do you know if Marty is running the tsv ski shop?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I have to get back there and see all the changes. Do you know if Marty is running the tsv ski shop?
    I have no idea. Alan still has Le Ski Mastery.

How is Taos skiing these days? Enough open to make a trip worth it? Maybe after this next storm?

It’s okay now, still a few more rocks than I’d like. After the next storm would be a good call.

Few inches during the week softened things up nicely in some places. In others it was dust on crust. Lots of down timber from the awful 100mph wind a month ago. A good SNOW storm is definitely needed.

Skiing Taos today

Skiing Taos today
    Enjoy, we were down there last week. We basically hiked the ridge for two days straight. They opened the Katchina hike on Saturday. Love that mountain.

Skiing Taos today
    Me too. Whistlestop at 11:00? Or Bavarian?

Name:  poco (1).JPG
Views: 547
Size:  19.3 KB
    rather surprized no comment on this. I was at Wolfie and it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Name:  poco (1).JPG
Views: 547
Size:  19.3 KB
    rather surprized no comment on this. I was at Wolfie and it was amazing.
    I commented on it, but over in the Colorado thread.

That discussion happened in the CO weather thread for some reason....

My sister is still texting me to rub it in my face I didn't go down.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Skiing Taos today
    SWEET! i'm a little jelly...maybe I can hit that place next year and catch some freshies too. My only trip there was in old snow when it was skier only still.

Say hi to the jackalope in the restaurant while you're there!
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Skiing Taos today
    Really nice skiing with ya today.