Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    r.e. Transceiver range - I always interpreted the results of this study (it is one of the conclusions):
    http://geosurvey.state.co.us/avalanc...aspx?tabid=176
    As showing that range was not an important factor in determining the success of beacon searches. The study may be old, but the max range of transceivers hasn't increased since then.
    I read that article when I was deciding which beacon to buy (I bought the BCA DTS), and if I recall, the range argument from BCA/Atkins' point of view is that, despite the difference in range, the DTS is still faster because: if the user is doing a proper primary search, upon receipt of the first signal, the user slows down dramatically. On beacons with longer range, that first signal provides no directional cues. However, the DTS provides visual directional cues upon first contact. Therefore, the argument goes, that both primary and secondary search with the DTS end up being faster. My personal experience and the testing reviews I have read tend to support BCA's theory.

In fact, didn't Couloir do a test last year of all the new beacons? I think the BCA DTS was still the fastest. I think the Pieps DPS pulled in close behind, but also had a problem with "ghost burials" in multiple burial situations. (Somebody help me here, my memory is failing on the details.)

Oh, and I disagree about "being dead" if you are buried more than 240cm. I met a guy buried vertically with the top of his head being closest to the surface. He was rescued by companions when one of their probes hit the toe of his boot. A 240 cm probe wouldn't have reached the boot. All I'm saying is longer is better. Make the decision for yourself. Whenever I have a decision on avy gear, I always ask myself, what would I want my rescuers to be packing if I were buried?

edit: Tri-Ungulate posted faster and probably explained it more clearly anyway.
    "Holy Blower!" - Jeremy Jones

Was hoping somebody would post a thread like this. On beacons, I'm a complete avy jong, and was deciding between the DTS and the DSP. It appears that for someone like me, who skis 30 or so days a year, a DTS would be better b/c of the lesser number of days of use/practice necessary to attain competence (not that I would practice less, just that I would be better for a given number of hours practicing). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eDub
    Oh, and I disagree about "being dead" if you are buried more than 240cm.
    Your talking about efficent probing technique; I'm talking about burial statistics. There hasn't been a successful recovery of a body buried >2m. I doubt there will be - just digging through that much debris would take you a long time. More than good gear I want someone who knows what they're doing. A shorter probe, decent shovel, and analog beacon leaves almost enough money leftover for an Avy 1 course if funds are short.

r.e. Beacons - ya, Couloir liked the Tracker. It's a decent article, I dislike that they didn't include the data from their tests (at least in the copy I have) they just say the Tracker was "faster". Several other test proclaim the Tracker fastest, but the difference between it and the next beacon is close to measurement error. Based on several posts by the Couloir author on TTips it seemed (to me) that the author had a bias in favor of the Tracker and it's technology going into the test.

The picture of the T-wood on the tag that came with it shows it as having two slots in it for rigging a deadman; mine doesn't have these. It has two holes but the size and positioning of these means that they are no good for rigging a deadman - anything would just pull out. I will probably cut two slots in the right place so that it can have a sling threaded though it (temporarily) that won't cause it to pull ou under load.

Your talking about efficent probing technique; I'm talking about burial statistics. There hasn't been a successful recovery of a body buried >2m.
    cj001f -

Where did you get that data from? (I don't doubt you. I would just like to read the article/study.)

Here's a good shovel test: go out to your driveway (or anyone's) in the early morning and find a big pile of plow debris that's been in the sun. It'll have set up into big icy chunks.

Now try to dig into it. Bet you wish you had a metal shovel!

Here's another test: would you use your avvy shovel to dig out your car in the morning? If not, how are you going to dig out your friend?

Sometimes I wish my shovel was smaller and lighter; I have an SOS telescopic with the snow saw. But I use it all the time to dig out the car and I know that it won't fail me if (oh s#!t, oh s#!t) I ever need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats
    Here's another test: would you use your avvy shovel to dig out your car in the morning? If not, how are you going to dig out your friend?
    No. Pavement will sharpen Al to a razors edge and shred plastic. For the record I like AL shovels more than plastics; neither are as durable as I'd like, particularly when it see's daily use digging out cars, building kickers, etc.

eDub-
    Here's the geeky snow paper where I came up with the >2m statistic from
    http://www.bcaccess.com/documents/Pr...B_Jamieson.pdf
    Figure 1 is the bit I took that number from. If your interested in Avy Science the BC Access site has a ton of good info. Also check out the American Avalanche Association's site - for $20 you can subscribe to the Avalanche Review which, while geeky, has alot of good information about what's going on.

No. Pavement will sharpen Al to a razors edge and shred plastic.
    Thanks for clarifying: I meant "dig out the car" in the sense that you could do it without wishing for a real shovel, not that you'd actually do it every day.

For serious snow shoveling work, go to your favorite hardware store and get one of these:
    http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...asp?id=7029499

It's plastic, but no one will die if you break it shoveling out your truck. And you're much less likely to put big scratches in your fenders with a plastic scoop.

eDub-
    Here's the geeky snow paper where I came up with the >2m statistic from
    http://www.bcaccess.com/documents/Pr...B_Jamieson.pdf
    Figure 1 is the bit I took that number from. If your interested in Avy Science the BC Access site has a ton of good info. Also check out the American Avalanche Association's site - for $20 you can subscribe to the Avalanche Review which, while geeky, has alot of good information about what's going on.
    Thanks cj001f, I thought I'd read everything on the BCA site. but its been awhile and it looks like they posted some new stuff.