Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Should you ditch your front derailleur? Here is my take! (1x10 review)

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...ont-derallieur

I originally had this with the X9 review but decided to break it out for simplicity sake. Any questions, just ask.

Hammer-Schmidt!

I like mine - it's nice to "move" the chain 1 time over 1 "chainring" in the front rather than move the chain 5 times over 5 cassette rings in the back to achieve the same result. Plus, with the Hammer-Schmidt you can figuratively "move" the front chain ring under FULL LOAD, in the air, or even stopped. It's dope.

But I'm no weight weenie, and I'm happy to haul around the dope-assed-ness/convenience weight of the Hammer-Schmidt. Talk about minimizing clearance height too...

Sorry to jack your review thread
    o--/\
    --/(. \
    -/ .) ' \ go with respect, get to know your mountains
    /' (. ' |'\
    ' ' .) ' ,'

I have a 28t widgit on my 1x9 setup. Perfect and simplicity at its finest.

http://www.widgit.com.au/technical.html
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

A nice addition, JJ. I agree with everything you said.

One observation I'd make is that transition to 1x__ can be made easier if the rider can spend (or has spent) some time riding singlespeed. Before I busted up my elbow this summer, I rode a 1x9 setup (34t x 11-34t) which worked great for me, even on a 7 hour alpine ride. The reason I say it was "great" is because I've already done 6-9 hr rides on a singlespeed, which meant I did a lot of walking/HABing on prior occasions.

Someone moving straight from a 2x9 or 3x9 to a 1x9 (...or x10) might be a bit discouraged with the walking required when running out of horsepower after climbing for 3-4 hours. Might be too accustomed to being able to pedal the whole climb.

People with SS experience already are used to pushing the bike when the climb is steeper than the gear allows, or than the legs allow (excepting maybe Mr Shoelaces here). They'd find the swap to 1x__ a bit more familiar.

I tend to want to be on the bike for as much of the climb as possible, but am not too proud to walk. But I know a lot of people who refuse to walk, will blow a gasket staying on the bike, etc. Might be good to mentally prep those folks by telling them they should not be surprised if they have to push the bike a bit when the legs get tired.

When I get back onto the bike after my elbow heals, I am not going to do any SS or 1x__ because the arm won't quite be there and I don't want to risk re-injuring or inflaming the elbow when I reef on the bar while grunting up a climb... would rather spin happily in the granny. And there's other times when I just don't want to hike much. That's why a 1x__ isn't going to be my mainstay or default setup.

However, I'm old as fuck, and nowhere near as strong as Ned Overend. Younger and stronger riders should definitely look into 1x__ for all the positives you describe -- quiet drivetrain, quick power delivery, mental security of the chain "being there" when you want it. All very valuable things.

I switched over to 1x9 about the middle of this summer. I had been on a 22x36 setup before and made it a point not to use the granny because it was just way too low and I'd spin out. The places I ride here in MA just don't have anything warranting a gearing setup that low, so it was a welcome relief to go to a 32 ring.

Many of the guys I ride with here have been switching to 1x_ setups and I wanted to, but kept arguing with myself that I needed to get stronger first. Decided to say, "Screw it, I'll get stronger by switching!" And its been perfect since.

I went 1x9 this season too. I've been running a 32 t chain ring with a chain guide and an 11-34 cassette. There are a handful of times I struggle up very steep hills but 90% of the time I like having the momentum to blast up hills.

I've never liked front derailleurs, I find it to be an awkward mechanism to have on a longish travel bike. Having the simplicity of one shifter/derailleur is welcome.

Nice review. I'm leaning towards a 1 x 10 next season to get that 11-36 rear cassette. I think that will give me the climbing edge I need.

Do any girls here ride this type of set-up? I love my baby ring for climbs on my heavy bike and I just spin away going uphill. I don't feel like I have the power to pedal uphill in my big ring (which is middlish - 32 or something). I always hear guys talk about this as such an advantage, and I love having a single ring up front on the dh bike for chain tension, but wonder if girls who are non-racer spandex climbing freaks really like the set-up.

My wife rode a 1x9 for awhile and liked it.

I'm a racer spandex climbing freak and it seems like it'd be great for a trail bike, but less helpful on a race bike where you need to be able to put power down, uphill or down.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    Do any girls here ride this type of set-up? I love my baby ring for climbs on my heavy bike and I just spin away going uphill. I don't feel like I have the power to pedal uphill in my big ring (which is middlish - 32 or something). I always hear guys talk about this as such an advantage, and I love having a single ring up front on the dh bike for chain tension, but wonder if girls who are non-racer spandex climbing freaks really like the set-up.
    I did for maybe 2 years on my Syren, but once the Hammerschmidt came out I replaced the 1x9 with that, which other than the weight is pretty flawless. For me it kind of depends on which bike and what you're riding. I have a 2x10 on my Remedy and that's been great, but I think I make use of that full range of gears enough on that bike I wouldn't want to change there.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

I live in Tahoe and I spend an appreciable amount of time in 22x34. Given the climbs around here, I can't imagine giving up the little ring would cause me anything but a great deal of pain. (I'm running 2x9)

Nice write up, JJ. The comments here are very helpful, too.

I'm also intrigued by the Hammerschmidt, which seemed to receive a lot of fanfare a year or two ago but about which you rarely hear much these days. I rode one in the bike shop parking lot and was very impressed by its ability to smoothly shift under load. The extra inch or two of clearance would be nice as well.

I've been forced into 1x10 all summer due to a busted front derailleur that I never got around to replacing. I have 28/42 SRAM XX front chainrings and for 95% of my trail riding I stick with the 28 as my rides generally involve a lot of climbs. Only time I really need the 42 is riding super flat trails or in the rare occasion I'm on pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Nice write up, JJ. The comments here are very helpful, too.

I'm also intrigued by the Hammerschmidt, which seemed to receive a lot of fanfare a year or two ago but about which you rarely hear much these days. I rode one in the bike shop parking lot and was very impressed by its ability to smoothly shift under load. The extra inch or two of clearance would be nice as well.
    There are four distinct problems with Hammerschmidt cranks.

1) There is a power loss in one of the two gear ratios. yes, it is noticeable
    2) Most frames were not optimized for a chainring this small. This means you will get more pedal feedback (overall) than a normal chainring setup
    3) You need ISGS tabs.
    4) Does not add quite/solid factor of a chainguide

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I'm a racer spandex climbing freak and it seems like it'd be great for a trail bike, but less helpful on a race bike where you need to be able to put power down, uphill or down.
    Quoted for truth. (XC race bikes probably need a 2x10 for 75% of the races.)

My only lingering issue with trying out the 1x10 is that my big ring gets chewed to hell on the east coast without a bash guard in about 4 rides. I bang the shit out of it on rocks and log overs. I know there are bash guard "options" but none of them seem like a sure shot quite yet. Thoughts?

Lev,

The "taco" back guard on the MRP G2 mini is perfect. Its very solid, replaceable and slides over shit. Perfect solution!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Lev,

The "taco" back guard on the MRP G2 mini is perfect. Its very solid, replaceable and slides over shit. Perfect solution!
    Alright, you win. Where can I sign up?

I'm pretty curious about the setup for my next ride. I've been in the market now for a while, as you've probably seen from my posts. Been back on my Endorphin after the frame break, but I'm really itching to try something new. I wish I could go to Outerbike, but it's not in the cards

I would argue this point quite a bit. My Hammerschmidt has never even had the slightest chain binding issue...EVER...while I have yet to find a guide close to meeting that requirement in all cases, all the time.

good review. i'm running a 1 x 9 , 32 x 36 (deore 9spd 12-36), mrp g2 mini with a taco . so far, with limited time, climbing near as much and rly liking the error free function. the chain used to occasionally drop to the granny. down to quick up transitions are smoother as well. fair amount of pedal kick on my rune in the granny too. i liked the way the hammerschmidt worked (in the parking lot) , just not sure about the weight and the extra drag in one the gears. i was hoping they would update it this yr with those carbon xo cranks and solve most of the weight issue. does anyone know which of the hammerschmidt gears has the ddrag. i'd probably be ok with a lil in the granny

nope, sorry, the drag is in the big gear. I have no actual data, but I feel it's about equal to the effect of running a poorly lubed chain.

I'm with you on being bummed they haven't done a total weight weenied version (while hitting strength as they did with the X0 cranks). Hell, I'd pay a few extra hundred beyond it's current price and run it on 6" bikes if it only added 0.5 lb to a drivetrain.

I've been running 32x36 with a bash guard and a "n-gear" jump stop for ~ 3 years now. I will never run a front derailer again! Hated adjusting them. I ride single speed a lot and dont mind walking. But with 1x9 I dont walk any more than I did with a granny.

Three bikes now with 31t x 11-36 ten speed setups. It's awesome. Enough top and low, at least where I live and ride. Primarily CT and NY - lots of short and steep ups and downs, not a lot of prolonged climbing or descending. No need really for higher or lower. Full chain guide setups on two full suspension bikes, just plain bash and Jump Stop on the hardtail.

I'm a big time spinner though, so YMMV. The lower cogs on my cassette really see very little use.

Very happy about the upcoming e.13 32T specific smaller/lighter SRS+ coming out. IMO, that work perfectly for my setups. Less weight, less stuff hanging down below the bike to snag/bash/break.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I went out riding yesterday keeping this in mind the whole time, and came to the conclusion that if I were to go 1x10, it'd have to be a really low front ring - 26-28 or so. I'm a hudge sit-and-spin guy though.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

1) There is a power loss in one of the two gear ratios. yes, it is noticeable
    2) Most frames were not optimized for a chainring this small. This means you will get more pedal feedback (overall) than a normal chainring setup
    3) You need ISGS tabs.
    1) No doubt, but that's the downhill gear so no biggie
    2) Interesting, never thought about that... but as a long climb spinner I rarely mash on the pedals anyways
    3) INTERNATIONAL BABY!
    4) Very quiet & solid in my opinion

However, I can only afford one Hammer-Schmidt, so the other bike is a fine candidate for a little simplification.

Got the discussion going with that write-up for sure, nice one JJ
    o--/\
    --/(. \
    -/ .) ' \ go with respect, get to know your mountains
    /' (. ' |'\
    ' ' .) ' ,'