Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paging Owens!!!

I don't think you'd have to "sift through" much over in snow conditions and weather. There's like 1 post a week over there.

Well is Snow and Weather Conditions is the forum, perhaps its name could be changed to "Avalanche Safety, Snow and Weather Conditions" and it could be moved up the rung a bit on the forum list? That would be a cool way to do it without creating another forum and it would vastly increase the number of posts and views in that forum.

You could copy and sticky Crinkles avalanche info thread!

Someone else suggested an avalanche forum here a few weeks ago too but the idea was shot down because of TTips great avalanche forum archive... which has unfortunately been destroyed. I thought it was a good idea then and I still think it is.

Ooh! Can we please get rid of the 10 character minimum for a post that doesnt count quoted text even?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Well is Snow and Weather Conditions is the forum, perhaps its name could be changed to "Avalanche Safety, Snow and Weather Conditions"
    that's got my vote...seems like a simple solution.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Duker
    Owens,
    I also have a request, please lock and Kill the "who hates to be the last post on a thread" thread. THank you

Duker
    Seconded. I hate seeing that stupid thread continually revived

By the way - while we have Owens attention - what's this new quick reply thing? Me no likey

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    that's got my vote...seems like a simple solution.
    I mentioned this but before in the avy thread, but did anyone bother to listen to me, no, never, nothin. I just a dumb snowboarder, right?

edit: on avie awareness I am, really, so this discussion has been very informative over the last week or so.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    I mentioned this but before in the avy thread, but did anyone bother to listen to me, no, never, nothin. I just a dumb snowboarder, right?
    Around here, people have to die before avies are taken seriously.
    Follow me on Instagram

brett.mcnary

Even barely knowing one of the people that is still here that was involved, I do think that out of respect that we should tone it down a bit. If you can put any puzzle together, you know who we are talking about. He is going through a spot that is unimaginable.

....... and not point at people,that they are stupid for making a decision based on their skills......everyone here has valid things to say and opinions differ. That is life. But we can help each other keep our lives by keeping a positive attitude.........you know, it just needs to be a little less something in here, I just can't put my finger on it. On edge maybe. Even when we all disagree, it does not need to be heated. All this info is being absorbed by many. And many are contributing.

We can all learn from each other, with respect, is all I am really saying.

Talking

Holy cow, I just read that and can you say "can't we all just get along"? I am going thru a phase again?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    .you know, it just needs to be a little less something in here, I just can't put my finger on it.

The snow sucks everywhere, and it stinks like summer.....except it's December. That's the answer, no one is stoked right now.
    Follow me on Instagram

brett.mcnary

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    Around here, people have to die before avies are taken seriously.
    Fuck that!!! That pisses me off to no end.

Come ski with me and EVERYONE I have skied with this year, we have ALL backed off stuff. The ego gets left in the car.

1. Stoy and I in valhalla behind Naomi Peak. I was sketched, we bailed.
    2. Stoy on Grunge Day, he wasn't 'feeling' it. He sat it out happily from from a safe spot.
    3. Gramps, me, and his roomy after Bald Peak. We all bailed on a south facing slope due to pucker factor.
    4. APD, me, powstash all bailed on the last 20ft of the Grunge due to suspect snow. And guess who mentioned it first, well it wasn't me or Powstash. We could have stood on the N. Summit, but we fucking didn't, and it hurt.
    5. Twoplanker on the Hayden Peak couloir. I was down digging a pit, he showed concern. Both Stoy and I verbalized we would bail then and there if he was sketched in ANY way.
    6. APD again, bailed before the tragedy on a Uintas trip due to suspect conditions. We had big ambitions that we were totally psyched to get after.

People don't have to die to learn. It's a major tragedy. Quit rubbing our heads in your negative sandbox.

I know it's just your way of getting your point across, but please have a little respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    Fuck that!!! That pisses me off to no end.

Come ski with me and EVERYONE I have skied with this year, we have ALL backed off stuff. The ego gets left in the car.

1. Stoy and I in valhalla behind Naomi Peak. I was sketched, we bailed.
    2. Stoy on Grunge Day, he wasn't 'feeling' it. He sat it out happily from from a safe spot.
    3. Gramps, me, and his roomy after Bald Peak. We all bailed on a south facing slope due to pucker factor.
    4. APD, me, powstash all bailed on the last 20ft of the Grunge due to suspect snow. And guess who mentioned it first, well it wasn't me or Powstash. We could have stood on the N. Summit, but we fucking didn't, and it hurt.
    5. Twoplanker on the Hayden Peak couloir. I was down digging a pit, he showed concern. Both Stoy and I verbalized we would bail then and there if he was sketched in ANY way.
    6. APD again, bailed before the tragedy on a Uintas trip due to suspect conditions. We had big ambitions that we were totally psyched to get after.

People don't have to die to learn. It's a major tragedy. Quit rubbing our heads in your negative sandbox.

I know it's just your way of getting your point across, but please have a little respect.

None of that was directed towards you bro. I hope you know I respect you for your TR's and sense to back away from shit. That comment was about other things others have said.
    Follow me on Instagram

brett.mcnary

A quick observations of egos, my own included.

The typical big day starts out with some hooping and hollering. A bit of bro, bra, blah, blah we're going to rip this thing apart, I'm so fucking rad, big bad coulior, yada yada.

Then you get to the business (the STEEP traverse into the Grunge, the start of the Hayden Couloir, Gramps' first look at Bald Peak, etc.). Then, a peculiar thing happens, everyone shuts the fuck up and gets all quiet. It's a very familiar feeling, and one I've come to really enjoy and make fun of. It starts right when you get to the business of the day.

On the Grunge: Me, APD, and Powstash were putting our skis on our packs, everyone was quiet. It was steep, exposed, and a bit scary. I mentioned the peculiar silence that fell over us.

Same thing on Hayden: I remember mentioning to Twoplanker something to the effect of "it's all yours" and he was like "after you". We were all quite silent for the first 3rd of the couloir until we got comfortable with it.

Bald Peak: We are driving in, I'm going off like a kid in a candy store. Gramps and his roomy were quite silent, just looking out the windshield. I'm sure thinking "Holy shit! We're skiing that?" Then they ripped it up.

Something to think about.

here is a copy of what i sent owens:

owens,

can we get a name change of the snow conditions and weather forum to something that makes it seem appropriate to post avalanche info there. the snow conditions forum is only used to post about somebodys local ski resort getting pounded, which is fine. we do need somewhere to have meaningful avy discussion that doesn't disappear off the front page in one hour if no one bumps it. i would like to see another forum solely dedicated to avalanche. afterall, it would be the only forum on here that could possibly save a life. but if that's not possible, at least a name change of a current one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think that ttips has a very productive avy forum that educates a lot of people. it answers questions that new posters have and poses new questions to keep people sharp. i enjoy the topics topics over there and think that people here would benifit from a similar experience. instead of sending people over there for information, maybe we could develop a system of our own that works here. topics covered can range from what happens to the snowpack if..., what type of avy gear should i carry, route finding, rescue procedure, lessons learned from real life experiences, and current local snowpack conditions (for those in town or heading out for a trip). if all these topics can be grouped together in their own forum where they are easily searchable, then people can learn valuable information that can likely prevent future accidents.

Continued support for that name change!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Come on Owens - We shouldn't miss this chance to harness the huge body of knowledge on the board into a easy to use and possibly life saving resource.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Tomato (t&-'mA-(")tO)

Tomato ((t&-'mä-(")tO))

To-may-to / To-mah-to