Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

When did "riding" become a term for skiing?

Was I out sick when this happened? Does anybody talk like this? Trying to resolve an argument.

In Soviet Russia skis ride you.

When skiing co-opted and adopted everything that snowboarders were pioneering, like fatness, early rise, comfortable and warm boots, progressive sidecuts, big mountain spinny flippy riding, powder for the masses, park riding, fashion, and wearable clothing.

Heh.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

"Riding" is bro/brah language for anything that's too cool to be called by its colloquial name... i.e. snowboarding, surfing, long-boarding, biking, etc... and now that skiing is "cool" again, it falls under the same category.

when skiers and boarders realized they don't have to hate each other, both skiing and boarding became riding.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I ski, but when I am talking to snowboarding friends, I say "I was out riding yesterday." I'm straight, but when I'm talking to gay friends, I refer to my wife as my "partner." Why? Because, in both instances I don't want to call attention to the fact that my friends are gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

It didn't. It is still called skiing ... well, if you breathe with your mouth closed, don't wear neon colored clothing that fits and don't act like a retarded gang banger.

Or, more simply; skiing != riding.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    When skiing co-opted and adopted everything that snowboarders were pioneering, like fatness, early rise, comfortable and warm boots, progressive sidecuts, big mountain spinny flippy riding, powder for the masses, park riding, fashion, and wearable clothing.

Heh.
    There was no need for the heh at the end as it is the truth.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Right around the same time skiers realized boarders have better weed and are almost always carrying?

Weed; breaking down barriers for generations...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

I began using riding as a more universal term when talking about sliding down mountains on legit devices(skis and snowboards).
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

Quote Originally Posted by skiski View Post
    I ski, but when I am talking to snowboarding friends, I say "I was out riding yesterday." I'm straight, but when I'm talking to gay friends, I refer to my wife as my "partner." Why? Because, in both instances I don't want to call attention to the fact that my friends are gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).
    While this is absolutely hilarious, it's also kind of true.

But mostly, it's what rideit, powdork, and advres said.

In South America, I'd see the phrase quite a bit, deportista de nieve, "snow-rider." Seems to work. (Seems the Warren Miller folks have thought so for a while now, too.)

But if you're the sort who gets bent out of shape by people who call skiing, "riding," or somebody who likes to imagine West Side Story-type feuds between skiers and boarders, that's awesome. Definitely keep fighting that good fight.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    when skiers and boarders realized they don't have to hate each other, both skiing and boarding became riding.
    so simple..........

Odd, I usually say i went skiing but I was snowboarding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm the most extreme skier in my office. I'll see your III and raise you one level of radness.

a bit OT, but do you 'ride' a motorcycle or 'drive' a motorcycle? and i'm not talking about the passenger.

and i do ride a motorcycle fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by EVC_CO View Post
    a bit OT, but do you 'ride' a motorcycle or 'drive' a motorcycle? and i'm not talking about the passenger.

and i do ride a motorcycle fwiw
    Yes, you ride a motorcycle.

Along with chicks, snowboards, bikes , dirty, etc.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

I think about the same time ski schools renamed themselves Snow Sport School.

When they start calling ski towns riding towns, or ski resorts riding resorts, I will start throwing up.

best answer

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Was I out sick when this happened? Does anybody talk like this? Trying to resolve an argument.
    Let's try to putt this into perspective for your situation. Instead of saying I am going to go out cock sucking, you could say I suck or I am going to suck. If you wish to define yourself only by that instrument upon which you suck - you could say I am going skiing or cock sucking whichever you feel defines you more.

I like to ride better so I tend to use that terminology. I don't have any judgement at all against those who do. Whatever floats your boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Right around the same time tele became a term for skiing?
    Or was it skiing became tele which then became riding?

Can you ride tele, or is that just as gay as it sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    Let's try to putt this into perspective for your situation. Instead of saying I am going to go out cock sucking, you could say I suck or I am going to suck. If you wish to define yourself only by that instrument upon which you suck - you could say I am going skiing or cock sucking whichever you feel defines you more.

I like to ride better so I tend to use that terminology. I don't have any judgement at all against those who do. Whatever floats your boat.
    Wow. I would suggest you run to the ladies room and change that tampon. Take that thing out of your ass while you're at it. Asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post

Don't forget; I am going cockriding, switch to the road...

I used to race moto in the summer and ski/snowmobile in the winter. Moto in summer = riding, skiing in winter = riding. That was ten years ago. We would call up buddies and say "lets go riding".

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ftw
    I don't call J Jones and ask him if he wants to ski today
    well I don't call JJ at all but you get the point
    I do know xover though
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Yes, you ride a motorcycle.

Along with chicks, snowboards, bikes , dirty, etc.
    of course, that was just a test. but non-mc-riders always say 'drive'