Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HOA's

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I would, ‘cept it’s gonna be virtual…
    Can you be fined for logging in and using an objectionable avatar photo or virtual background? Probably!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    10 years later and I own the house two doors down. Neighborhood is a little prettier but I sometimes miss having a small engine mechanic nearby.

The McMansions they’re cramming into my back yard are uglier than anything I’ve seen parked in people’s yards. Apparently their HOA doesn’t cover bad taste.
    HOAs in those neighborhoods don't cover bad taste, they require it.

Christmas tree lights can stay up all year, but only be lit from Nov 1 - March 31. Seems like a non-issue.

I don't see how Christmas lighting squares w all the Dark Sky requirements here, but that's a function of local government not our HOA.

I want to be able to have a junk car and a pile of scrap lumber around. And as much shit as I care to store under a blue tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I want to be able to have a junk car and a pile of scrap lumber around. And as much shit as I care to store under a blue tarp.
    Just stay clear of Burlington (and 'burbs) and Middlebury and nobody will say shit.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    “We are special snowflakes who think contracts and agreements we have signed don’t apply to us.”

The people who buy into an HOA and then complain about the HOA are worse than most HOAs.
    As opposed to snowflakes who are continually triggered by trivial issues like Christmas lights?
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

HOA board members are like the mall cops of the community. Hassle folks for stuff that's not illegal and shouldn't be. If a neighbor is doing something that bothers you but isn't at all illegal and you can't get the city council to agree that it should be illegal you need to look in the mirror to see the real problem..

^^^If you want this, you can't buy in Park City.
    To me, it is more fascist than democratic. In some cases the idea of power goes to the boards head. Typically, very few homeowners want to be board members and have very little control of what actually goes on in a neighborhood. The past page of posts makes it abundantly clear that some HOAs are good, while others are horrific. In my case, there are 28 homes in the community. There are supposed to be 3 elected board members who serve two year terms, but we have not held an election in the three years that I have lived here, and one so called board member is a second homeowner who volunteered when one of the other members got fed up with the other two and quit. He was never elected by the community. Therefore, there really is no board. Amazing! Disputes are governed by the AAA, which charges a filing fee of $3500 for non-monetary dispute resolution and requires the HOA to be represented by counsel. ChaChing...
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    HOA’s and condo associations are two entirely different beasts.

Not going to elaborate. I’m sure you know.
    Both have the problem of maintaining reserves and making decisions regarding major maintenance and repair. Obviously in a development with multiunit buildings the exposure is much higher but the issue is the same. While the bullshit design standards and the like with HOAs can be a significant annoyance, poor maintenance of the property can be financially devastating for both condos and single family houses in HOA.s. (Example--Tahoe Donner in Truckee a few years ago had a huge problem with replacing all the water mains.)

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Good. I wish my condo HOA would enforce its rule banning xmas lights and Halloween decorations more than a month out. A few homeowners here had Halloween decorations up in early Sept, and put their Xmas stuff up when they put the Halloween decorations away.

All I ask for is a month off in November from all that shit.
    I'm with you (notwithstanding that we have colored lights on our deck lit all year) but fining someone because you don't agree with their taste is a problem.
    Too often HOA's are another way for Americans to impose their personal taste and beliefs on other people--we've got too much of that.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    To me, it is more fascist than democratic. snip

For your own well being you might have to put a crew together and take over the HOA. Right the ship, build your fence and then GTFO.

Gotta say I side with old newguy on this one, if the rules are spelled out and you don't want to abide by them, buy somewhere else. I've deliberately avoided them because of exactly that (except for the condo, which has been fine). It's pretty weak sauce to agree and sign and then bitch and fight against it.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Gotta say I side with old newguy on this one, if the rules are spelled out and you don't want to abide by them, buy somewhere else. I've deliberately avoided them because of exactly that (except for the condo, which has been fine). It's pretty weak sauce to agree and sign and then bitch and fight against it.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Just stay clear of Burlington (and 'burbs) and Middlebury and nobody will say shit.
    Ya, Williston sure has changed. The place I grew up in would never fly these days.

What about bitching about changes to the rulz that you voted against after you signed up? Except for condo/townhouse where different families are actually vested in the sane structure I'd NEVER agree to buy property I don't have 100% control over within local laws.

Well neither would I.

Although I've had a couple of neighbors it would have been nice to have some help with.

Last year we sold our house of the past 20 years, it's on a private dead-end road that isn't part of the county road system, so the 14 homeowners had to arrange for plowing, maintenance and tree work together. There isn't even any kind of written agreement but we got it all done even with the one fuckwad who wouldn't kick down any money for anything.

Well neither would I.

Although I've had a couple of neighbors it would have been nice to have some help with.

Last year we sold our house of the past 20 years, it's on a private dead-end road that isn't part of the county road system, so the 14 homeowners had to arrange for plowing, maintenance and tree work together. There isn't even any kind of written agreement but we got it all done even with the one fuckwad who wouldn't kick down any money for anything.

Similar lake association. Dues, $300/year PER LOT as per the DEED. We had one family that owned 2 lots, but insisted that they should only pay for one. How selfish can you be?

I’m on my board. It’s amazing the assholes that live around you. They pay their dues and expect somekind of concierge service. Then we jack the fee $25 and people scream murder.

Iast thing I’m doing is kicking the can down the road on roofs and big stuff.

Whiners need to move accross the river.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I remember meeting " that guy " at my dads senior's condo residence moving stuff or STF,

perhaps sensing my irreverent sense of humor or just knowing my dad he said " I'm the asshole "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I’m on my board. It’s amazing the assholes that live around you. They pay their dues and expect somekind of concierge service. Then we jack the fee $25 and people scream murder.

Iast thing I’m doing is kicking the can down the road on roofs and big stuff.

Whiners need to move accross the river.

Whiners need to move in to their own lots instead of sharing structures.. Definitely need legally binding collective agreement for condos/townhomes where you don't own the entire building yourself..

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    To me, it is more fascist than democratic. In some cases the idea of power goes to the boards head. Typically, very few homeowners want to be board members and have very little control of what actually goes on in a neighborhood. The past page of posts makes it abundantly clear that some HOAs are good, while others are horrific. In my case, there are 28 homes in the community. There are supposed to be 3 elected board members who serve two year terms, but we have not held an election in the three years that I have lived here, and one so called board member is a second homeowner who volunteered when one of the other members got fed up with the other two and quit. He was never elected by the community. Therefore, there really is no board. Amazing! Disputes are governed by the AAA, which charges a filing fee of $3500 for non-monetary dispute resolution and requires the HOA to be represented by counsel. ChaChing...
    You can buy in real Park City with no HOA, no problem.

But it's a rarity out here in the Snyderville Basin because it's unincorporated Summit County. We've got HOAs and special service districts fulfilling the role that regular municipal government plays in other jurisdictions. Neighborhood architectural regs, road maintenance, snow removal, trails and parks, water and sewer. That stuff is all handled by the city if you live in old town, for example. But it's a rat's nest of ssds and HOAs out here out of necessity and for lack of better options.

It would probably be simpler if the Basin were incorporated into Park City, the scope of some of the big master associations and HOAs were reduced, and the ssds were taken over by the regular government. But that's not going to happen and you've got to dance with the girl you brought. Given that it's such a hodgepodge, I think it mostly works okay.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Who does police and fire, the county?

We have ccr’s where I live but no one, even my neighbor who bought in the 70s, can remember a board and there are no fees.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    HOA board members are like the mall cops of the community. Hassle folks for stuff that's not illegal and shouldn't be. If a neighbor is doing something that bothers you but isn't at all illegal and you can't get the city council to agree that it should be illegal you need to look in the mirror to see the real problem..
    Is breach of contract illegal? Most HOAs require new owners to sign a "contract" agreeing to the HOA bylaws and covenants. Many are way more restrictive than city zoning ordnances...but once you sign that contract, are you bound by it?

Again, don't buy into an HOA if you don't want to abide....

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Whiners need to move in to their own lots instead of sharing structures.. Definitely need legally binding collective agreement for condos/townhomes where you don't own the entire building yourself..
    We’ve got people who have been here for decades. When these townhomes were dirt cheap and dues were $100 a month. They need to gtfo. One is the president of university and won’t pay dues until we pay an attorney and threaten a lien. Then she tries to settle. The last time I told everyone no settlement and 6 months later the bitch paid up. But now she’s a yr behind again.

Still, the houses I’ve owned, I’ve had bad neighbors and you can’t do shit.. A neighbors tree branch fell and took out the shed I just built for my girl friends house and the fucker told us to call our insurance. Too cheap to trim this monster of a tree and we’re just waiting for the next one to come through the roof.

Who does police and fire, the county?
    Both...

Maybe Old Town only. I think that DV, Thaynes, Park Meadows, Prospector, Aerie all have HOA. Old Town has it's own problems with historical conservation which may be worse than HOA
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix