Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: HOA's

If you put the collective maggot experiences with HOA's in a bucket, it would be a drop compared to what I know from each side.

Let me say this, if you choose to live in a distopian organized homo ner association of people, you can expect what you, yes you, are.

I'll say no more.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Got a lawyer friend who can write 'em a letter insinuating expensive consequences if they refuse to approve some kind of dog run per the CC&R's?
    is he a pro at that stuffs
    cause shindler is
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I've only ever belonged to one, at our condo, and it's been awesome. They've totally been on it as far as the condition of the building and reserves and all that but they've been transparent otherwise. Just lucky I guess but they're definitely not all bad.
    it'd been mo better if you or the icewoman ran it and didnt have to hound me about shaving and wearing gortex as a uniform
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

This thread is hysterical.

I mean, JHC people. My first month in the 'hood (now been here over 22 yrs) I figure out Tucker is the HoA pres. So HoA sponsors a 4 keg all-day July 4th pool party. I'm the new guy talkin to Tuck ( who is sporting an egyptian hat with "kingTuck" written with a sharpie).

Old Mr Taylor walks up hollerin complainin "Tuck, this...this...this is just like a fraternity party"
    Tuck: "Yeah. Ain't it great?"

you guys in the wrong HoA. You got nobody to blame but yerselves.
    "Can't you see..."

HOAs suck when they are busting your balls for doing something either stupid or against the CCRs.

They are great when your neighbor is doing something stupid or against the CCRs and you don't want to get involved other than making a complaint.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    If you put the collective maggot experiences with HOA's in a bucket, it would be a drop compared to what I know from each side.

Let me say this, if you choose to live in a distopian organized homo ner association of people, you can expect what you, yes you, are.

I'll say no more.
    I can say as much as you cause I guess I know what you do lawyers are fun when it comes to hoa's
    president of an hoa very large one defacto member of another one
    I don't enjoy being an asshole but someone has to as it's said before don't buy one in one if you are all about your freedom to do what you want

and I"ll just let eazy e say what I want to say
    "So when the shit hits the fan, it's outta my mouth
    You don't like what I'm talkin' about?
    All of ya'll can just suck my dick
    You can quote me now cause I'm still talkin' shit"

In my little neighborhood which was planned 40+ years ago the layout emphasized privacy and maximum views. Bring on a covid buying frenzy of the remaining lots which had been picked over for 40 years. The first thing they want to do is take up space that has been preserved by less than optimal siting of the other homes, IOW they see what the CCR's have produced and they want to take ADVANTAGE of that instead of doing what they actually committed to when buying the lot.

This spring we stopped a very powerful, rich, and extremely well connected individual from ruining something that I worked and sacrificed for the last 30 years to achieve. It was a lot of work, and expensive to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Is breach of contract illegal? Most HOAs require new owners to sign a "contract" agreeing to the HOA bylaws and covenants. Many are way more restrictive than city zoning ordnances...but once you sign that contract, are you bound by it?

Again, don't buy into an HOA if you don't want to abide....
    In case I wasn't clear.. I'd never join one unless I was actually not buying an entire separate building and lot If you actually share the same condo/townhome structure with others rather than owning the whole thing you definitely need agreements to handle major upkeep..

If it's your OWN exclusive property and "house" then all an HOA does is go beyond the local city and county building and upkeep codes to add in a bunch of bullshit petty aesthetics..

I heard the objection ya but trees.. Nature is part of reality. Yes, my neighbor isn't responsible if the wind blows down debris from a HEALTHY tree on to my roof. But laws in every city already require property owners to maintain trees and immediately take down any unhealthy trees that pose a hazard to neighboring property.

Again, laws are fine for the "important" issues in a neighborhood. But, if you don't want a PRIDE/BLM or TRUMP/Nazi flag next door or holiday lights or whatever other petty gripes you have move in to a HOA community..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    We’ve got people who have been here for decades. When these townhomes were dirt cheap and dues were $100 a month. They need to gtfo.
    What the fuck is wrong with you?
    Don't bother to answer, I already know.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    In case I wasn't clear.. I'd never join one unless I was actually not buying an entire separate building and lot If you actually share the same condo/townhome structure with others rather than owning the whole thing you definitely need agreements to handle major upkeep..

If it's your OWN exclusive property and "house" then all an HOA does is go beyond the local city and county building and upkeep codes to add in a bunch of bullshit petty aesthetics..

I heard the objection ya but trees.. Nature is part of reality. Yes, my neighbor isn't responsible if the wind blows down debris from a HEALTHY tree on to my roof. But laws in every city already require property owners to maintain trees and immediately take down any unhealthy trees that pose a hazard to neighboring property.

Again, laws are fine for the "important" issues in a neighborhood. But, if you don't want a PRIDE/BLM or TRUMP/Nazi flag next door or holiday lights or whatever other petty gripes you have move in to a HOA community..
    In case I wasn't clear....

Not every home or lot you buy has an HOA attached to it. Most don't. But if you buy into an HOA and sign the contract, you signed away your right to do whatever the fuck you want with your property. It was a contingency of the sale. If you're not willing to sign the contract, they just won't sell it to you.

FFS....

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Nowhere does the saying "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" apply more than in a HOA.
    ^This.

Lots of other truisms here, too many to quote.

HOA has two meanings as demonstrated above, one for the entity that governs a cul-de-sac kind of community, and another meaning when used in place of Condominium Association.

Speaking for condominium associations, but this also applies to cul-de-sac HOA developments, the best defense, the best way to leverage the condo association to work in your favor, is to thoroughly and completely read and learn the condominium documents (condo docs), the by-laws and the state statutes governing condominium associations. Substitute HOAs for condominium as the case may be. Study, read, re-read and re-read again the condo docs and by laws. Use what you learn to your advantage when needed.

In my experience typical members of condo boards do not know the full extent of their own condo docs and by laws. Elections, budgets, operating expenses, capital expenditures, special assessments, rules for officers you name it and there's someone on the board who doesn't know or doesn't want to know some major topic. If you do some focused studying and reading you'll easily become more knowledgeable than a typical condo board member.

Also in my experience management companies typically (usually) have only a passing knowledge of a specific condo associations condo documents, by laws and governing state statutes. They will know industry norms and best practices and that's usually what value they 'bring to the table.' If you force an issue the so called community managers from the management companies will read the docs and by laws and become familiar with them. For a brief period of time. Then six months later it's like they forget all the details because they are dealing with 20 other condo associations.

An astute attorney explained one time that if you arm yourself with detailed knowledge of condo docs, by laws and state statutes (even if you have to pay an attorney to interpret things) you'll be at a huge advantage over other owners, board members and management company managers. That was a spot on accurate observation.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Both...

Maybe Old Town only. I think that DV, Thaynes, Park Meadows, Prospector, Aerie all have HOA. Old Town has it's own problems with historical conservation which may be worse than HOA
    The Park City Fire District is an overlay district covering both the city and a large chunk of the outlying unincorporated county. The county Sheriff has jurisdiction out here and in town it's the municipal pd.

I'd take most of the HOAs out here in the boondocks over the historic district, too. But I think you're HOA-free over in Prospector and maybe Thaynes Canyon.

It's a wonder that this area is governable at all!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    HOAs are the norm for subdivisions in my little slice of Paradise.
    <snip>

And they haven't done a reserve study - ever. Only one ever done was 10 years ago, when the developers sold the first homes. A bunch of changes have occurred since then.

Further, they haven't prepared audited financial statements, despite it being required under the HOA bylaws

And now they want to do a bunch of common area landscape improvements. They say the (as yet undisclosed) costs for said improvements will come from the "well funded reserves". I'm a little skeptical given the lack of a recent reserve study, the lack of financial statements (their monthly compilations are worthless) and the fact that the reserves declined by 33% this year due to some unanticipated repairs.

The Board was not pleased when I brought these issues up. Annual meeting is Dec 9, will see what happens then.
    Bump for update.

Reserve study finally released. It's incomplete, but even then shows we need to increase reserve assessments from $30/mo to $120. Operating budget coming down so overall increase isn't horrible. Not remotely surprised - developers habitually set reserve amounts low when they establish HOAs.

Property manager didn't have a good answer to my bringing up the disparity between Board's assertion about funding for landscape improvements thru "well funded reserves", and the need to quadruple said reserves. Something about relying blindly on the last reserve study which was done 10 years ago...The improvements are now on hold.

Now, the question for those of you specializing in HOA dentistry.

- Oregon State Law (ORS 94.670) sez HOAs of our size must provide CPA-reviewed financial statements within 300 days following close of fiscal year.

- HOA's bylaws say statements must be audited and delivered within 180 days, unless 60% of members vote otherwise. (no such vote ever held)

There's a big difference in scope of CPAs work between a review and an audit.

Which controls in this case - Oregon law or HOA bylaws?

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    I'm not a dentist-attorney. But I do know a few things about condo associations on the east coast, NY, PA & DC. Search through your HOA docs to see what they say, if anything, about not producing audited financial statements.

Words like this "if a budget is not produced by T-45 days from the start of a fiscal year then the current year's budget shall be in full effect for the upcoming fiscal year."

Whenever us civilians quote some state law, that in my experience is a red flag for it's time to talk to a real attorney. One who practices HOA and Condo law in your state. If you have to spend money for one or two hours of his/her time than that is the cost to you of getting to the bottom of the legalities in your situation. Think of it as the HOA and management company did not do it so now you have to pay for it and do it yourself.

Say your house if your biggest financial asset worth $500k. Two hours of an attorney's time is $600 (2*$300). Money well spent in my opinion and past experience. I've done it a few times and it puts you in the position of totally supporting whatever decision or point needed to be made. Your discussions with the board and management co. will be based on solid legal grounds. And a tip, you don't necessarily have to tell the board you consulted an attorney, sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Bump for update.

Reserve study finally released. It's incomplete, but even then shows we need to increase reserve assessments from $30/mo to $120. Operating budget coming down so overall increase isn't horrible. Not remotely surprised - developers habitually set reserve amounts low when they establish HOAs.

Property manager didn't have a good answer to my bringing up the disparity between Board's assertion about funding for landscape improvements thru "well funded reserves", and the need to quadruple said reserves. Something about relying blindly on the last reserve study which was done 10 years ago...The improvements are now on hold.

Now, the question for those of you specializing in HOA dentistry.

- Oregon State Law (ORS 94.670) sez HOAs of our size must provide CPA-reviewed financial statements within 300 days following close of fiscal year.

- HOA's bylaws say statements must be audited and delivered within 180 days, unless 60% of members vote otherwise. (no such vote ever held)

There's a big difference in scope of CPAs work between a review and an audit.

Which controls in this case - Oregon law or HOA bylaws?
    Bylaws are more restrictive and govern.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

^^^That's what common sense told me as well. Thanks

Reserve studies are usually over inflated sky is falling shit that's what those people doing the studies get paid to do reality is 40-60% of what it says unless you live in super gehetto shit hole hoa which can happen I'm not a lawyer or stupid just know how it works