Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    As I understand it, the same issue happens occasionally with ground based sensors as well. But yes the atmosphere and magnetic field help protect things here

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Curiosity track lulz

Well played
    doughnuts?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Is that due to the lack of atmosphere? Or some other cause?
    Doesn't help, but also lack of magnetic field doesn't help. However, you can also get them from decaying radioactive material. Earth based CCD instruments also get them...I recall one paper about some telescope, they blamed them on something decaying in the concrete. More common to see the cosmic ray artifacts in longer exposure images.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer View Post
    So 406 what do you make of this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ed-planet.html
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    JPL put out a press release about it:
    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2014-108

We see cosmic ray hits in the images often.

To rephrase my question, what is the actual physical/scientific explanation in terms of what the source of the anomaly is?

i'm just trying to help the last page and this one mesh, this ^^^ was the most recent query/reply...
    most awesomest thread ever...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

^^^I wouldn't call it an anomaly, cosmic rays commonly leave artifacts such as this in images.

If it is glint off a rock, that would be interesting, but not likely.

^^^I wouldn't call it an anomaly, cosmic rays commonly leave artifacts such as this in images.

If it is glint off a rock, that would be interesting, but not likely.
    The part that's interesting is that it appeared in the same spot two days in a row. Would a cosmic ray do that? I don't really know enough about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    The part that's interesting is that it appeared in the same spot two days in a row. Would a cosmic ray do that? I don't really know enough about them.
    yes it is possible, it just so happened that they hit on the CCD in an spot that was the approximate same geographic location. But doesn't rule out shiny rock.

Unofficial version of the latest MAHLI selfie:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sol_613.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	457.6 KB 
ID:	155832

Also, MCAM looking back of the tracks as MSL drove away from the drill spot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	looking_back.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	155831

Is that a hole on the middle wheel?

ok i'm a dumbfuck. How does it take a selfie when there's no arm that would hold the camera visible?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Is that a hole on the middle wheel?
    Yep, the front and middle wheels have a bit of damage. They are now doing better route finding and driving backwards to help limit the damage. But nothing so far is major, it looks worse than it is an impact to performance. Here is a MAHLI image from the other day:

so i guess the various materials used, say in those wheels, degrade differently than they would in our atmosphere? Maybe there's no rust, but if there was, like, little oxygen, and that was known, would different materials be used?

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    ok i'm a dumbfuck. How does it take a selfie when there's no arm that would hold the camera visible?
    It is lots of photos mosaiced into what looks like a selfie. MAHLI is mounted on a turret at the end of the arm but the arm was positioned out of the shot in the images, or portions of images, used in the mosaic. If you look at the shadow you can see the turret and full arm. Here is the frame with part of the arm in it:

How fast does the camera take a photo? It's not like you have to worry about people walking around.

And can pictures be taken while moving or is it only done from a stop?

so i guess the various materials used, say in those wheels, degrade differently than they would in our atmosphere? Maybe there's no rust, but if there was, like, little oxygen, and that was known, would different materials be used?
    No it is physical damage, not weathering. They are machined from a block of aircraft grade aluminum, I think the "problem" is they are too thin...but not sure what the official answer is or if it is a problem.

lead rover driver Matt Heverly said that the damage was to be expected. “The ‘skin’ of the wheel is only 0.75mm thick and we expect dents, dings, and even a few holes due to the wheels interacting with the rocks,”

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    How fast does the camera take a photo? It's not like you have to worry about people walking around.

And can pictures be taken while moving or is it only done from a stop?
    With no autofocus as fast as a few seconds...autofocus takes tens of seconds. Yes we can take pictures and video while moving...but so far everything post EDL has been while not driving.

Awesome stuff 406! Again.

Have to say I would not like to be the guy that calls the shots deciding what materiel you are going to use -vs- launchweight -vs- extra energy consumption when rolling...
    Must be helluva task to calculate the redundancy-benefit-risk factors.

A quick question : Do you have a general plan/algorithms to match the color temp with your different cameras? Like, you use what, 4 different cameras with different wave
    lengths, optical properties, shoot on a planet with peculiar atmosphere and different light and weather.
    Are your certain photos graded for civilian consumption in that sense that they are graded towards "this is what a human eye would see" and then you have the
    wide spectrum/false color images for all the propellerheads to analyze? Like the selfie and the vista picture are quite different looking.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Great little article in the WashPost here.

There's a short vid talking about the selfie and a hole it drilled [is what the caption says, i haven't watched it yet].

Happy Marsiversary! [687 Earth days = 1 Martian year, who knew? ]

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    A quick question : Do you have a general plan/algorithms to match the color temp with your different cameras? Like, you use what, 4 different cameras with different wave
    lengths, optical properties, shoot on a planet with peculiar atmosphere and different light and weather. Are your certain photos graded for civilian consumption in that sense that they are graded towards "this is what a human eye would see" and then you have the
    wide spectrum/false color images for all the propellerheads to analyze?
    They all have bayer color filter arrays, so the basic images from the camera isn't too different from what the eye would see. We have a standard color balance product that we release to the public, called RDRs. But I think most people that are into that are likely doing their own post processing.

From the SIS: Differences in filter and optics transmission and detector sensitivity as a function of wavelength cause color shifts in images unrelated to the actual color of the scene. For the color-corrected image products, we have applied empirically-derived color coefficients derived from imaging neutral gray targets under solar illumination in ground testing. The outcome for flight images is roughly what the planetary surface would look like if it were viewed by the human eye in situ. However, for quantitative color analysis, the radiometrically-corrected but not color corrected products should be used.
    More details:
    http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data..._RDR_DPSIS.PDF
    Section 5 has all the post processing info for RDRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Like the selfie and the vista picture are quite different looking.
    I just did an "artistic" auto color balance in GIMP. Time of day can also makes a difference.

http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data..._RDR_DPSIS.PDF
    Section 5 has all the post processing info for RDRs.

I just did an "artistic" auto color balance in GIMP. Time of day can also makes a difference.
    That was some heavy duty reading there! Thanks for your time for posting that and answering our questions.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Checking our holes in Pahrump

[ right click and open in new tab for full size]

You have anything to do with the Pluto photo expedition? Pretty wild 'waking up' a spaceship after nine years of travel....

NPR Morning Report story

You have anything to do with the Pluto photo expedition? Pretty wild 'waking up' a spaceship after nine years of travel....
    Nope. But do have a camera going to Jupiter orbit that launched in 2011 and doesn't arrive until 2016...not as long as Pluto, but seems like forever.

Wheels on Mars!

^^^good find. We just took that one last week, the front view of it on the pebble is pretty cool also.