Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 249
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Middle of the NEK
    Posts
    4,517
    FKNA, how'd I miss this thread last fall? Excited to see the rover on the surface.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    5,844
    That was the most intense NASA video ever.

    I'm excited to see if this will work.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,459
    pretty goddamn rad...

    I'm envious

  4. #29
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    11,842
    awesome vid - i'm all pumped to see what happens now

    i'm hoping somebody threw some GSA-grade live-feed gopros on that bad boy

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Stuck in perpetual Meh
    Posts
    35,651
    Oh man - fingers crossed!

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Epping, NH
    Posts
    499
    this place never ceases to amaze me. cant wait to get some updates.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    2,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    How fkna stoked are you 406!
    Actually I'm pretty burnt out at this point, lots more work to do and still have to move up to an apartment in Pasadena. Also I am pretty nervous that it will crash. I'm sure I will be pretty stoked if everything works and I start getting pictures back.

    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Wow. Is there a betting line on this thing landing?
    I'm guessing Vegas wouldn't take those bets :-)

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregón
    Posts
    7,027
    I'm only going to pay attention to this thread if you promise red 7-pixel mspaint hand-marked commentary on many of the rad photos you are going to take.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Actually I'm pretty burnt out at this point, lots more work to do and still have to move up to an apartment in Pasadena. Also I am pretty nervous that it will crash. I'm sure I will be pretty stoked if everything works and I start getting pictures back.



    I'm guessing Vegas wouldn't take those bets :-)
    My dad spent 40+ years at Rockwell Collins as a senior test tech and he did the final testing on the ILS (Instrument Landing System) that was in the first space shuttles. He was the last person to test and approve the instrument for sale before it went to NASA and was installed in Space Shuttle Columbia. I still remember that he had zero worry that the Collins ILS was going to fail because they have the testing regiment down to a fine and brutal science over there. His biggest worry was the heat tiles. He thought they should have sent a dummy ship up just to test the system. Luckily Columbia made through re-entry 27 times before my Dad's fears became a reality. The ILS was later updated and my dad had moved on to other defense projects so the unit he worked on wasn't in Columbia when it exploded over Texas on re-entry in 2003.

    I put my money on success. Thirty missions and we might have a failure but NASA makes sure the odds are good.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    crown of the continent
    Posts
    13,970
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

    Patterson Hood of the DBT's

  11. #36
    Hugh Conway Guest
    cool thread

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,790

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    coloRADo
    Posts
    2,119
    Awesome thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    My dad spent 40+ years at Rockwell Collins as a senior test tech and he did the final testing on the ILS (Instrument Landing System) that was in the first space shuttles. He was the last person to test and approve the instrument for sale before it went to NASA and was installed in Space Shuttle Columbia. I still remember that he had zero worry that the Collins ILS was going to fail because they have the testing regiment down to a fine and brutal science over there. His biggest worry was the heat tiles. He thought they should have sent a dummy ship up just to test the system. Luckily Columbia made through re-entry 27 times before my Dad's fears became a reality. The ILS was later updated and my dad had moved on to other defense projects so the unit he worked on wasn't in Columbia when it exploded over Texas on re-entry in 2003.

    I put my money on success. Thirty missions and we might have a failure but NASA makes sure the odds are good.
    Too bad they forgot to put ILS marker beacons on Mars ...
    Landing on Mars != Space Shuttle ILS landing on Earth.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,790
    Actually flying an airplane through the atmosphere and landing the brick as a glider was a pretty big deal the first time they did it and way more people were paying attention.

    Sent from my HTC Hero S using TGR Forums

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    crown of the continent
    Posts
    13,970
    'Most important NASA mission of the decade' WashPost
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

    Patterson Hood of the DBT's

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,790
    This just came across on Earthsky. It shows the location of all of NASA's probes and the target location for Curiosity.


  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Stuck in perpetual Meh
    Posts
    35,651
    Fingers crossed...

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregón
    Posts
    7,027
    MSL skycrane inspired by "something sexy"
    http://www.npr.org/2012/08/03/157597...-a-mars-lander
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juxtaposition
    Posts
    5,811
    Now THAT'S a job with satisfaction.
    Life is not lift served.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregón
    Posts
    7,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    Now THAT'S a job with satisfaction.
    Ironically enough, a few people I know at JPL think he's a douchebag. But douche or not, he got 9 minutes on NPR talking about sex drugs and rock and roll, and is possibly going to get credit (fingers crossed for tonight!) for one of the more awesome technological things done in the last 20 years.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,500
    Excited for tonight -- planning to catch it on NASA TV. Great piece on Cracked about this: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reason...ut-mars-today/
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juxtaposition
    Posts
    5,811
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Ironically enough, a few people I know at JPL think he's a douchebag.
    Schralpy - I never thought I'd read you saying a bad word about anyone. He must be evil!
    Life is not lift served.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,638
    I'll be watching!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,197
    link to the action?

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    1,628
    Thankyou for sharing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •