Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NON drinking thread

If a thread like this already exists, even if it's on a another forum, let me know.

I haven't gotten hammered in like a year or so. I'll have a beer or two a few times a week. Basically I got tired of agonizing hangovers and inconvenient vomiting.

It is all good and nifty except that my stress level is high and the last two times I did the blood pressure test on that machine in the drug store the results were alarming.
    Hillshire Farm is sexy

Grab both cheeks and sink your teeth into the ass of life.

Not a doctor and do not play one on TV but: Do you do any regular exercising? Stress can be part of high blood pressure, but there are other causes too. Genetics and Medical background (did any of your parents have high blood pressure too), diet can be a big contributing factor for high blood pressure. Of course there are drugs for it, but I'd recommend looking at diet and exercise to see if you can bring down the numbers you are seeing first.

How you deal with the stress and ways you can relax (besides going to get drunk) also can be key to the high blood pressure.

Lots of things can increase blood pressure, including worrying about blood pressure. If you feel you have reason to be concerned get one of these.

Simple, convenient, cheap, accurate. If your results are alarming get in a pattern of taking it several times a day and writing it down (actually the machine has a memory function). Then you can start to figure out what to do about it with some facts in hand.

As far as the drinking, I'm a big fan of everything in moderation - including moderation. Gotta kick out the jams now and then in my world.

Pop a stranger in the face every once in a while. Bingo bango done- you have the BP of freaking buddah.

Or, go on a tourettes run- 6 or 7 miles and just unload profanities about everything that bugs you out load in the privacy of your own head. S'what I do.

Or yell at people on here....
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

I got lit the fuck up last night. Haven't had a bender like that in a while.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

One night is not a bender, Nancy.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

haven't been "HAMMERED" since Halloween last year, but a good buzz from time to time is plenty.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Pop a stranger in the face every once in a while. Bingo bango done- you have the BP of freaking buddah.
    LOL, and terribly tempting on a daily basis.

Or, go on a tourettes run- 6 or 7 miles and just unload profanities about everything that bugs you out load in the privacy of your own head. S'what I do.
    That is brilliant.

Or yell at people on here....
    Done that, trying not to repeat.
    Hillshire Farm is sexy

Anybody else go on or know somebody who went on a bender after seeing the movie "Leaving Las Vegas"?
    Hillshire Farm is sexy

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dictionary
    bender |ˈbendər| informal
    noun
    1 [ usu. in combination ] an object or person that bends something else: a fender bender.
    2 a wild drinking spree.
    Drinking from 1PM to 3AM is a spree.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary
    spree |sprē|
    noun
    a spell or sustained period of unrestrained activity of a particular kind: he went on a six-month crime spree | a shopping spree.
    • a spell of unrestrained drinking.
    verb ( sprees , spreeing, spreed ) [ no obj. ] dated
    take part in a spree.
    ORIGIN late 18th cent.: of unknown origin.
    I'm sorry that English is your second language, Nancy.

Sorry, didn't realize you had your serious face on.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Not a doctor and do not play one on TV but: Do you do any regular exercising? Stress can be part of high blood pressure, but there are other causes too. Genetics and Medical background (did any of your parents have high blood pressure too), diet can be a big contributing factor for high blood pressure. Of course there are drugs for it, but I'd recommend looking at diet and exercise to see if you can bring down the numbers you are seeing first.

How you deal with the stress and ways you can relax (besides going to get drunk) also can be key to the high blood pressure.
    You got it. You are 100 percent on the money. I do not move my carcass enough.

The stress is motivating me more and more. I am doing better. Had a good ride on the bike Tuesday.
    Hillshire Farm is sexy

Sorry, didn't realize you had your serious face on.
    I have my "hung-the-fuck-over" face on which makes me a little ornery!

Drinking doesnt help your blood pressure,it actually raises it. The drug store machines are not always accurate.If its truly high,dont ignore it and find the cause. Treatment can be 10c a day.Not treatment can hurt the pump,the pipes,the valves,and the filters.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Lots of things can increase blood pressure, including worrying about blood pressure. If you feel you have reason to be concerned get one of these.

Simple, convenient, cheap, accurate. If your results are alarming get in a pattern of taking it several times a day and writing it down (actually the machine has a memory function). Then you can start to figure out what to do about it with some facts in hand.

As far as the drinking, I'm a big fan of everything in moderation - including moderation. Gotta kick out the jams now and then in my world.
    To be honest, I wasn't very surprised when the machine at the drug store said "150/100". I could feel it.

I still can't get over how nice you are, Iceman. And I'll never be over Macho Grande.
    Hillshire Farm is sexy

From a purely black and white scientific perspective this is true, but you're not accounting for the significance of stress release. Which is pretty significant and explains why moderate drinkers live notably longer than non drinkers (according to recent studies).

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    Drinking doesnt help your blood pressure,it actually raises it.

A "bender" is 2 to 3 days minimum. If you don't sleep I guess 24 hours straight could be considered a bender. Getting drunk on Friday night and then on Saturday night doesn't constitute a bender, but if you get trashed again on Sunday it does.

Drinking from afternoon til the end of the night is just a long day of drinking (any Sox day game for a lot of Massholes), disappearing in Vegas for several days and getting fired is a bender.

It's been since mid Dec last year since I've drank a drop, and life is fuckin groovy. My reason for quitting was a trend of infrequent judgment lapses over several years, and current life ambitions conflicting with the waste of energy, money, and hungover days, let alone the risk of another fuckup derailing those plans...

So now, I'm around 20 or so moderate alcoholics daily, but party just fine in my own way... I do have my own vices, enjoying a nice fatty on pretty frequent occasion. I do miss a good heavy IPA and nice red wines though, but have learned to live without; however meager, some of the German NA beers do provide a palatable substitute.

word to god

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    I have my "hung-the-fuck-over" face on which makes me a little ornery!
    Lol, your avatar is especially appropriate today then.
    -Aldo Leopold

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Haven't had a drop in 17 months. Best thing I ever did. I am a true alchy though. Was drinking 15-20 beers and at least a few shots everyday from like 10am till I passed out.

Before you said you drank ~60 beers a week when you decided to quit. Now you are saying between 105-140 plus shots. Which story is true?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I dont even know. I just know I drank alot all day everyday. Doesn't really matter. Its not how much you drink, its what it does to you thats important.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Drinking from 1PM to 3AM is a spree.
    Oh see, I think most young people would just call that a Saturday. You old fart.
    Nobody listens to a fkn word fat chicks say. Nobody talks to them long enough to notice they're crazy

Quote Originally Posted by waltonhockey05 View Post
    Oh see, I think most young people would just call that a Saturday. You old fart.
    I do call that a Saturday, but this was a Wednesday.