Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Dynafit Titan Ultralight

Did anyone tried those boots already?
    Sounds great on paper but was wondering if this could potentially be the "do everything one boot choice"...

any thoughts?

Do a search. I heard they ski the same as the old Titan, but are about a pound lighter. I don't remember how much of the weight saving is in the shell and how much in the liner, I think they talked about that somewhere on wildsnow.

When i skied them i felt that the uppers were stiffer than the lowers making it an "akward" flex throughout. There killer boots though, i want a pair. If your going for a do it all boot the regular titan would be great in my opinion.

Carbon is minimal, I see no reason for them to ski differently from titans

my 2011/12 workbook from the trade show has the titan ultralight listed at 1750gr and the regular titan at 2000gr...so a 250 gram (~9oz) difference. some of the weight savings is from going with pebax, instead of PU and i think the ultralight uses a different liner that is lighter. so if you are going to swap out the liner, it's less of a weight savings. ~$110 difference in price...probably worth it to go for the ultralight.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

Bizzzump. Anyone else had a chance to play around with these?
    Dynafit has the regular titan liner listed at 410grs and the ultralight at 270, so that knocks the weight difference in the shells down to 110g..
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Just putting Intuitions in the regular Titan shaves off 200grams!

I asked Dynafit about the weight, here is their response.
    "It's a bit of both on the weight savings, 175g saved in the shell, 45g in the liner. The numbers from our scale at the office on a size 28.5: Titan liner 373g, shell 1716g = 2089. Ultralight liner 328g, shell 1541 = 1869. 220g difference."

So actually, most of the weight savings is in the shell. Now, if they would just get rid of the interchangeable soles, which must add a fair bit of weight....

I tried these on today. They flex much like the regular Titan, which I own, at room temp maybe even a bit stiffer, but in the cold probably the same. I would think being made out of Pebax, they would be a little easier to get in an out of in the cold, something the regular Titan makes a challenge. The liner is far better in every way. It fits better out of the box, not so tight feeling and bulky and appears to be more of a true Thermo Fit liner with potentially better insulation while being lighter as well. Anything would be better than the regular Titan liner. Overall the boot is noticeably lighter and now weighs less than the Garmont Radium as well as having superior performance. It probably isn't worth trading in your older Titan's for, but if you want that performance and are counting grams it is probably worth a look as it is now most likely the best performing boot in that weight range if you have a medium to narrow foot with regular to lower arch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    I tried these on today. They flex much like the regular Titan, which I own, at room temp maybe even a bit stiffer, but in the cold probably the same. I would think being made out of Pebax, they would be a little easier to get in an out of in the cold, something the regular Titan makes a challenge. The liner is far better in every way. It fits better out of the box, not so tight feeling and bulky and appears to be more of a true Thermo Fit liner with potentially better insulation while being lighter as well. Anything would be better than the regular Titan liner. Overall the boot is noticeably lighter and now weighs less than the Garmont Radium as well as having superior performance. It probably isn't worth trading in your older Titan's for, but if you want that performance and are counting grams it is probably worth a look as it is now most likely the best performing boot in that weight range if you have a medium to narrow foot with regular to lower arch.
    I am regular Titan owner and stuck my foot in the Ultralight. I would say your assessment is spot-on. The liner felt a lot less constricted, especially in the toe (regular Titan liner pretty much gave me black toe nails just from trying the boots on). Also, is it just me or does the UL feel a bit less progressive in its flex?

I had to do some punching to make my Titans comfy for me. This may be a consideration when choosing between the regular and Ultralight, since the Pebax is more difficult to work with, from what I'm told. There's no way I could ski with the Titans out of the box so that would probably mean the Ultralight is out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I am regular Titan owner and stuck my foot in the Ultralight. I would say your assessment is spot-on. The liner felt a lot less constricted, especially in the toe (regular Titan liner pretty much gave me black toe nails just from trying the boots on). Also, is it just me or does the UL feel a bit less progressive in its flex?

I had to do some punching to make my Titans comfy for me. This may be a consideration when choosing between the regular and Ultralight, since the Pebax is more difficult to work with, from what I'm told. There's no way I could ski with the Titans out of the box so that would probably mean the Ultralight is out for me.
    A good bootfitter can make it work. Its harder, but very doable in the hands of the right person. So I wouldn't rule it out based on the fact that you need to punch the shell.

I had to warranty my Titans from last year, because of a pre release problem with the left boot regardless of which Dynafit binding I used. I decided to pay the extra 67 dollars to upgrade to the Ultra light, because it is noticeably lighter. It flexes slightly stiffer at room temp, but we all know that the regular Titan stiffens up considerably in the cold because of the PU plastic, so maybe it would be the same or slightly stiffer in the cold? Anyway, I am impressed how they matched the flex for the most part. I would agree with D(C) that the regular Titan feels a bit more progressive or at least more damp in its flex, at least on the living room floor, which will all know does not reflex how it skis. The cant adjustment is gone, just a rivet. The liners are way better, and presumably would be warmer, though I have Intuition Luxuries that I transferred from my Titans. Strangely, while I had a perfect glove like fit in my Titans with the Intuitions, and I would have expected the Ultralights to be the same, it feels like there is a bit of pressure over my tops of my feet at the ankle joint that I didn't have in the Titan, and the boots feel slightly looser. Perhaps the looser feel is in my imagination, or a different thickness in plastic? I did compare the two in the shop and the PU plastic of the Titan was slightly thicker, at least in the overlap section. Anyway, I am sure they will be fine. The difference in weight should be noticeable in longer tours, but I would say, that if one is looking for a resort cross over boot, that will not see significant backcountry use, that the regular Titan is still a great option. I am looking forward to skiing the Ultralight and reporting back. It will be paired up with 190 Wailer 112's and Dynafit Radical FT's or ST's.

Skied mine today for a few runs, it was the first time out this year, so take it with a grain of salt, but they felt a bit stiffer with more of an alpine flex then my regular titans.

The weight difference between the new liner and my intuition freeride liners was 20grams, and the whole boot in 26.5 weights 1760 grams.

Be curious to hear from someone who has skied both these and the Cochise. Paging Marshal to Aisle 1 please, Marshal to Aisle 1.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Got some more time on mine, pretty happy so far. Haven't had them in any really cold temps yet <30F,
    but I'm still thinking they're a hair stiffer then the regular titans.

They ski nice thanks to the narrower fit, at least better than my Radiums.

But that gnarly arch support built into the shell is agony on even a short hike. Forget pounding paved summer roads or hiking trails and rock for a few miles. I knew it in the shop. I knew it. Idiot I am.

I can't tour short distances in them without pain and swearing that I'll burn or sell them (anyone coming to Hakuba in Japan... you might get a bargain from me, serious. Size 26).

I have not even gone a fraction of the distance I typically travel on a daily basis. At the price I paid I'm desperately trying to finding a solution for them as I'll be wearing them day in day out for months now, and I can't face that agony.

The best solution liner/footbed combo so far: some old Intuition wraps with an old foot bed between the shell and liner in an attempt to lift my heel up a bit and get away from that bastard arch support in the shell. Kind of makes the fit a bit too tight though.

Another problem I have had with this boot is when you fully extend the cuff range backwards with a big stride, part of the shell overlap comes out from under one of the upper buckle straps and gets caught resulting in a cuff that momentarily wont articulate forward again until there is a loud crack when the hooked-up plastic releases. This has already caused small cuts in part of the shell overlap.
    Last edited by neck beard; 12-12-2011 at 01:41 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

Anyone else have weights? I'm weighing mine at 1820g

Boot: 1516g

Liner: 304 (+ 20g footbed)

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I asked Dynafit about the weight, here is their response.
    "It's a bit of both on the weight savings, 175g saved in the shell, 45g in the liner. The numbers from our scale at the office on a size 28.5: Titan liner 373g, shell 1716g = 2089. Ultralight liner 328g, shell 1541 = 1869. 220g difference."
    Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Skied mine today for a few runs, it was the first time out this year, so take it with a grain of salt, but they felt a bit stiffer with more of an alpine flex then my regular titans.

The weight difference between the new liner and my intuition freeride liners was 20grams, and the whole boot in 26.5 weights 1760 grams.

Hohes-
    Unless this shell is different than the Zzeus mold, which I doubt, there's not really a build up on the boot board.
    The shell is snug in the midfoot area though. I'd guess a punch in the navicular area would set you right.

LL, what size are those weights from?

27.0 size

Lee - mine are in the shop for sale - I'll weigh them when I go past. I'll be eating cabbage all winter if I don't recoup most of what I spent on them.

turnfarmer - I can't compare to the Zzeus mold. However the ridged foot bed is raised somewhat under the arch, that along with that snugness in the mid foot you mentioned. For me it is more than snug - I like snug. I find that the shell side pushes in and up under the foot almost. I can't mod them at all as I want to get as much near new cash back on them as I can, if they sell.

I should never ever have bought them as a touring boot considering the fit. My bad.
    Life is not lift served.

If anyone is interested in Zzeus weights for the new Zzeus, here's a pic of this year's stock 27.5's on my cheapo scale. No guarantees on accuracy.

I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    But that gnarly arch support built into the shell is agony on even a short hike. Forget pounding paved summer roads or hiking trails and rock for a few miles. I knew it in the shop. I knew it. Idiot I am.

I can't tour short distances in them without pain and swearing that I'll burn or sell them (anyone coming to Hakuba in Japan... you might get a bargain from me, serious. Size 26).

I have not even gone a fraction of the distance I typically travel on a daily basis. At the price I paid I'm desperately trying to finding a solution for them as I'll be wearing them day in day out for months now, and I can't face that agony.
    Good to know. I had the same exact issue when I tried them on in the shop. I still almost bought a pair until I tried on the Cochise. Even though the Cochise is 0.5# heavier per boot (IIRC), I didn't think that would be worth dealing with the fit issue. But I've always kind of wondered if I could have gotten away with it.

Sucks for you, though. Too bad they didn't work out for you.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

My Titan Ultralights, 27.0 shell with 27.0 Intuition Powerwraps, weigh 1805 gm.

Looks like typical variation in boot weights:

Titan UL in pow. To be honest though, anything would work in pow