Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tahoe Mags, who shops at Porters Tahoe?

I think everyone needs to skip a few internet purchases and stop by Porters Tahoe. Nothing too dire at the moment, but I think with the shit they went through with Sierra Patiotards, they could use some local support.

Great staff and knowledge.

http://porterstahoe.com
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Used to work there in the 90's in the Incline store, but haven't gone in there much lately. It sucks when you can't even make a phone call to the store, they just put you through to their call center. Good people overall though. What happened with "Sierra Patiotards"?

I have hung out with Chappy who is the owner(or one of the owners). I have heard he supports the community very well. I would agree to support them.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

/\ I think he's referring to Sierra Snowboards in Sacramento and all the low-price stuff they'd dump on the market starting in February each of the past few years - since they moved from Fremont and used to be called Tri-City. But they're gone now. They got bought by Trusnow or something like that, and the brick and mortar store was closed last year.

I've shopped at Porters. In fact, I've spent more than $1500 there in the past couple seasons. There rarely seem to be any great deals, but they have a good selection and pleasant, if young/inexperienced, staff.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I really do not like Porters.

If I am in Tahoe City I go to Daves

If Incline Village Ski Loft. I cannot put my finger on it, but it seems Porters turned into a take as much profit as possible!! Corperation. Just been a bad vibe for me.

Do you even see the same faces out front from year to year?

If Truckee its the Sart Haus.

But porters does have a nice selection of Flip flops.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by TGR420 View Post
    I have hung out with Chappy who is the owner(or one of the owners). I have heard he supports the community very well. I would agree to support them.
    You cannot even be sure when they are open. Low traffic days they do not even open the doors. = no pay for lowly employee's

They do not get it
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

fuck tahoe daves!

support porters everytime!
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

I went in there to check out boots and stared at the wall for 10 minutes without a salesperson asking me if I needed help then walked out. Headed over to Start Haus and was asked if I need help with anything in particular within 20 seconds.

Porters service and inventory has prevented them from getting any of my business lately, but I'll still stop by and check-in frequently hoping to find something.

Quote Originally Posted by tom111869 View Post
    I went in there to check out boots and stared at the wall for 10 minutes without a salesperson asking me if I needed help then walked out. Headed over to Start Haus and was asked if I need help with anything in particular within 20 seconds.

Porters service and inventory has prevented them from getting any of my business lately, but I'll still stop by and check-in frequently hoping to find something.
    Sorry to jump on you so fast, we usually give a customer 30 seconds...
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by HiGrade1 View Post
    fuck tahoe daves!

support porters everytime!
    That was both an articulate and well informed opinion.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The owner of Porter's seems like a nice dude. Although I've never met him in person, in the past he was always really quick to answer email queries.

I used to get my Spatulas tuned in Tahoe City, since that's where McConkey got his tuned.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by tom111869 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Sorry to jump on you so fast, we usually give a customer 30 seconds...
    Now that is service! Nice epicski.com plug in your bio Phil!

Everyplace has their niche, Start Haus just does Boots and Skis. Porters does it all I believe, even summer fun.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Now that is service! Nice epicski.com plug in your bio Phil!

Everyplace has their niche, Start Haus just does Boots and Skis. Porters does it all I believe, even summer fun.
    I can personally vouch for the fact that Start Haus also sells poles, wax, and the really nice side edge tuning guides. I think I saw some POC helmets there, too.

Truckee store: Yes. Some of the same faces have been there quite some time. Steph in front, Bill in the ski department. Alex doing some sort of managing thing. They will work with you and have some pretty good deals at times. Inventory ran super low over the last year so this year was not a year for great sale prices there.

The Incline Store is a disaster. As MTT said, open and close randomly to poach peak seasons. Haven't been in the Tahoe City store in a while.

Start Haus? As they have expanded beyond racer servicing, they are on my radar more often. Amazing service (thanks Phil!) and some dang good deals in the off season.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyskier View Post
    I can personally vouch for the fact that Start Haus also sells poles, wax, and the really nice side edge tuning guides. I think I saw some POC helmets there, too.
    Porters sells snowboards too, and all the outerwear you can imagine. Different niche I guess.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Porters sells snowboards too, and all the outerwear you can imagine. Different niche I guess.
    you keep using that word. i do not think it means, what you think it means.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

niche [nich] ; niched, niching

noun
    1. an ornamental recess in a wall or the like, usually semicircular in plan and arched, as for a statue or other decorative object.

2. a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing: to find one's niche in the business world.

3. a distinct segment of a market.

4. Ecology . the position or function of an organism in a community of plants and animals.

adjective
    5. pertaining to or intended for a market niche; having specific appeal: niche advertising.

verb (used with object)
    6. to place (something) in a niche.

Origin:
    1605–15; < French, Middle French, back formation from nicher to make a nest < Vulgar Latin *nīdiculāre, derivative of Latin nīdus nest

Related forms
    un·niched, adjective

Synonyms
    2. calling, vocation, slot, berth.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Dictionary police FAIL - that's my favorite niche of the FAIL marketplace.

+1 for Start Haus

Not sure I'd ever go there for advice or help, but I picked up a pair of skis (that were sold out most places) there last season- they were friendly & gave me a solid deal.

Not my favorite, but definitely a solid bunch of cats.
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Dictionary police FAIL - that's my favorite niche of the FAIL marketplace.
    Smoke less, read more. remember; own your fail.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    niche [nich] ; niched, niching

noun
    1. an ornamental recess in a wall or the like, usually semicircular in plan and arched, as for a statue or other decorative object.

2. a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing: to find one's niche in the business world.

3. a distinct segment of a market.

4. Ecology . the position or function of an organism in a community of plants and animals.

adjective
    5. pertaining to or intended for a market niche; having specific appeal: niche advertising.

verb (used with object)
    6. to place (something) in a niche.

Origin:
    1605–15; < French, Middle French, back formation from nicher to make a nest < Vulgar Latin *nīdiculāre, derivative of Latin nīdus nest

Related forms
    un·niched, adjective

Synonyms
    2. calling, vocation, slot, berth.
    Thanks for that.
    Terje was right.

I agree with you Das. Porters has gone through a lot of shit lately, mainly through some shady and possibly illegal business practices of one giant corporate snowboard manufacturer. Supporting a family run, local business that helps the greater community of Tahoe (whether that be Porters, Village Ski Loft or Start Haus) is always a good thing.

Porters is a cool place, I've been getting random shit there since I was a little shredder learning to rip at Homewood. Got my first pair of twin tips (K2 Min-enemy's) When I was younger and telling my parents "I want to ski backwards!!!" Always nice people and good service. I noticed last year the ski selection at the Truckee store was pretty legit early in the season when I went.

I'm the type of shopper that goes in knowing what I want....I actually sometimes get annoyed when a employee walks up to me and asks if I need help (even though I completely understand) If I need an opinion or help I always ask....Sucks to the guy that never gave them a shot because he wasn't approached within 10 minutes...Would it be so hard to walk 5 seconds to the nearest employee and say, "Hey, I had a question about some boots"

I go in there a lot for small stuff. For big items--skis, bindings they always sell out of what I want before it goes on sale. That seems to be true with a lot of stores--are the manufacturers running tighter inventory the last few years? I live in Truckee but I haven't really bonded with any of the shops. Unless you're really rich, really reckless, or put an awful lot of days into your gear you just don't buy enough for a store to really get to know you as a regular. I did get great service from Cosmo's though, and I've only been in there once. In the boot business you don't get a lot of repeat business if you're doing your job.

Lets keep the stoke alive for Porters and Chappy.
    Terje was right.