Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Top Universities Near Great Skiing

What are the top schools (anywhere, only requirements, they be a well respected school and the teaching is done in english) with good skiing close by. Looking for top schools, not "the locals think it's pretty darn good" schools.

Anyone have any ideas, I'm stumped.

university of utah
    thatisall

U of U, Boulder, Montana State Univ-Bozeman, I'm sure there's others

Based on US News Rankings, these are your US considerations: Colorado School of Mines, UW Seattle, BYU, DU, Colorado College, CU Boulder.
    Last edited by Summit; 09-18-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

UBC in Vancouver. You can ride the local hills nights and drive to Whistler or Baker on your days off. And a student pass at Whistler is a damn good deal.

UVM has a good reputation.

Any of the good schools in Boston. You can get a good education and if you're serious about work AND play, you can get a good deal on a pass and get some fun in on off days. I live just outside the city, so was able to save some money and tweak my schedule to make it work out: classes two days a week, work one day, and snowboard at least twice a week. I graduated with a BS in Civil Engineering from Northeastern and found a job right away due to the COOP program really working out for me.

Colorado College, but its not as close as some of the other schools listed. It is a better school than a lot of them, though

Stanford or UC Berkeley. Anything less and you're a disappointment to your parents.

Harvard (Economics)

Go bend some rules and make billions. Just remember us.

Wasted. State. College. of. Ballerado

www.western.edu

30 minutes from Crested Butte's steeps that rival Jackson hole, with some super rad back country. Not a prestigious university, but who wants to deal with that anyway?

The Dean of Students here is often see ripping crazy lines down the steeps. I.e. this man will rally through no falls zones; thats my kind of school.

McGill is about two hours from Jay Peak and closer to Tremblant. UBC is 2 hours from Whistler. The UW has Alpental close by, and the rest at least two hours away. Dartmouth is about 2 hours from Jay Peak and an hour and a half from Mad River Glen. That's kind of it for English speaking countries. If you can do French or German there's University of Geneva and ETH Zurich, but the OP rules that out.

Utah, CU and MSU Bozeman are fine schools (I was at the U for four fun years of skiing) but not really really top universities.

Quote Originally Posted by fivefourtwo View Post
    UBC in Vancouver. You can ride the local hills nights and drive to Whistler or Baker on your days off. And a student pass at Whistler is a damn good deal.
    There is also Western Washington Uni in Bellingham. Close to Baker and there is apparently a load of good looking girls there. No idea if it is a good school.

Dartmouth, if you're talking top-top schools
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

If you want engineering, Colorado School of Mines is by far the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinTipFlip View Post
    Wasted. State. College. of. Ballerado

www.western.edu

30 minutes from Crested Butte's steeps that rival Jackson hole, with some super rad back country. Not a prestigious university, but who wants to deal with that anyway?

The Dean of Students here is often see ripping crazy lines down the steeps. I.e. this man will rally through no falls zones; thats my kind of school.
    I think he meant respected for quality of education, not alcohol tolerance. (Many friends went/are there)
    Last edited by Summit; 09-17-2011 at 10:21 PM.

I'd put a 2nd vote in for colorado college. Its a little far from the mountains, but has block breaks so you get 5 day vacations every 3 1/2 weeks. It also has great people that have the work hard and play hard mentality, and lots of rich kids from denver, so it was never tough for me to find skiing buddies or kids with condos up in the mountains to crash at

What proximity to skiing are you asking for? The Claremont Colleges are just 30 minutes away from Mt. Baldy and 4.5 hours from Mammoth. It's easy to get 40 days a season in at Mammoth, if you're at all dedicated.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Dartmouth, if you're talking top-top schools
    65 days 2 years back and 69 last year...
    And I'm a grad student.

Also, while I'm at it: I'm sure that this topic has never been discussed before. I bet you wouldn't find anything if you searched around for some time...
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    What proximity to skiing are you asking for? The Claremont Colleges are just 30 minutes away from Mt. Baldy and 4.5 hours from Mammoth. It's easy to get 40 days a season in at Mammoth, if you're at all dedicated.
    Plus Cal Tech is only another half hour down the road. All of them are closer to your pow day than you are in Boulder or Colorado Springs, but farther from a big-name resort.

Williams is an easy drive to the southern VT shit, too. Anywhere in Oregon puts you within spitting distance of quality skiing. Reed, UofO, Portland State, Oregon State, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    If you want engineering, Colorado School of Mines is by far the best choice.
    Lol. I was interviewing with a recruiter from a mining company last week who said he had completely stopped going to CSM because he was tired of dealing with a bunch of over educated peckerheads.

Fuck it, if you're going to recommend CSM, you might as well throw Rola in there too
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    this thread has never been done before.....

The Honors College at the U. of Utah is supposed to be one of the top programs in the country.
    Not easy to get into, though.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Lol. I was interviewing with a recruiter from a mining company last week who said he had completely stopped going to CSM because he was tired of dealing with a bunch of over educated peckerheads.

Fuck it, if you're going to recommend CSM, you might as well throw Rola in there too
    Some people have an attitude problem. It can be an engineering student or a recruiter. The fact is CSM has an outstanding reputation and their graduates are highly successful and sought after. That's what the OP asked for...

On a side note: Having been a nuclear engineering student at Rolla, I can definitively say that it is one of the most depressing places to go to school in this entire nation. I transferred out and not because the classes were too hard. Had I gone to CSM, I likely would have finished my degree there. Being at the true edge the rockies in Golden 45 from Loveland Ski area and Berthoud Pass is a bit better than being in the middle of the Ozarks in bible belt Missouri.

I can attest that I know a recent CSM engineering grad very well who was just recently hired by a great mine and she is not a perckerhead.
    Last edited by Summit; 09-18-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Worry about where you can go cheap and graduate without debt. Save the prestige whoring for grad school (unless you are looking into a prestige whoring field that doesn't require grad school, if this even exists anymore).

Utah!!!! Good school, super cheap if you can get a scholarship, which is not too hard, and close to awesome skiing!

I don't know much about US schools, but UBC gets my vote within Canada. University of Victoria is a good school too and you're not far from fun skiing on Vancouver Island, with the possibility of the occasional weekend trip to Whis or Baker. University of Calgary puts you a couple hours from Banff, and 4-5 hours from Interior BC. Of the schools I listed, UBC is likely the best academically but they're all pretty good.