Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Question Possible restrictions on Rt. 88...

The Honc/Gonzo/Basom mobile will be departing from San Fran. @ approx. 12:00 friday night...as we search for transport (in our country there is a problem) it would be good to know what sort of restrictions do they have. Do they ever require snow tires or chains on 4WDers?
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

rarely, but based on last weekend, it will be a good idea to have chains even in a 4wd. lph used them on his massive monster 4wd truck. We could have used them on the AWD Audi.

They rarely - very rarely - require them to be put on cars that have 4wd WITH snow tires. At that point, the roads are usually closed anyhow. However, they might ask if you have them - since that is required in certain situations. You can either lie or actually have them. They may search, in which case you'd better have them.

lph can probably give some better insight on this...
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

If you rent a 4x4 don't bother with chains. 88 will be closed before they require 4x4's with chains.

If it's going off as hard as it could, you might not even be able to travel through the 88. Be in touch w/ CalTRANS; take the 50 if the 88s closed, and the 80 if the 50s closed. If they're all closed...well, you're bummin' man. Good luck.
    Aliases: B-Dub, B-Dubya, & B. White

I got # Follow up grew up in Cali

THE 88
    THE 50
    THE Santa Moncia
    THE plastic tits

we'll get there. basom has volunteered to drive, and we all know what kind of a season he has been putting together...just killing it...

thanks for the info folks. we will be in a 4wd no matter what, so sounds like we won't worry about the chains.

gonzo....you have my numero, give me a buzz when you land and I can update you on the latest road conditions. also, my offer still stands.

Rent 4wd if you can. I made it through all the checkpoints last weekend in my Outback and they didn't check if I was carrying chains or not. I was cruising around South Lake without them with no problems.

If you can't rent 4wd...then you will definitely, definitely need chains.

edit: me slow...looks like you have 4wd and will be killing it. sweet.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Yo, yo, yo... if we get the storm the you're flying across the country to ski, well, 88 will be closed at the spur. Drive 50 to 89 to 88, thus you won't be shut down by one of the most slide prone sections of highway in America (Carson Spur is a giant slide path).
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    we'll get there. basom has volunteered to drive, and we all know what kind of a season he has been putting together...just killing it...
    Ya know that scene in Rush when Jennifer Jason Lee is driving and Hendrix is playing.....good luck. Sounds like a fun trip.

Just an FYI - my bro Fabio who chefs the Wall Bar says there was a natural slide today on the Spur. I'd definitely be cautious about committing to the 88 if its dumping cause they might be more nervous about things now.

Still trying to decide whether I should leave tomorrow or Sunday. What are you all doing? Looks like Sat will be most likely to close down things on the Mtn.

PS- Your recs re: V-Ex were right on. Skied the Heave over new year's and they killed it. Maybe I'll see you guys this dump at the Wood or Heazy.

MKlass

Huh

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark
    Basom: Drive 50 to 89 to 88 while Honc & Gonz drink Schlitz in the backseat, thus you won't be shut down by one of the most slide prone sections of highway in America (Carson Spur is a giant slide path).
    I don't make the rules, just live by 'em.

PS: Basom, looking forward to meeting you; Schlitz or no Schlitz.

But hopefully Schlitz.
    You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

ARG!!! Fuckin spur!!! ARG!!!! My facking cabin is on the wrong side of that bastard. It will not open sat I have a feeling.

shlitz.

greydon you da mang. looks like I80 to 50 to 89 to 88 is a good option.

tyrone, we'll be in touch. thanks again for the offer - bummed you can't be there with us...

Honc - just checked out the Hertz website - an Explorer or Outback would run us $191 from Friday night to Monday night. The Expedition is a lot more and the Sidekick is a lot less. For some reason you can't get them "skierized" which I guess means it comes with a rack...although I wouldn't trust their POS racks with 2 pairs of spats and a new solly deck anyways...

Alex P. Keaton may or may not join us too, depending on our car and his plane situation. If we rent and he comes, it will help to split the costs. Plus I hear he is cute.

I can hook up a few vagabond beeeyatches with cheap acommodations in Reno. You guys gimme a call if you need it.

And if you've got it, bring b/c gear in case KW is closed . . . prolly be some out there in the safer places . . .

Caltrans 1-800-427-7623

Kirkwood 1-209-258-3000

PUT THESE IN YOUR PHONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lightbulb

GET SOME CHAAAAAAAAAAINS, YOU CUPCAKES!!!!!

Honc - just checked out the Hertz website - an Explorer or Outback would run us $191 from Friday night to Monday night. The Expedition is a lot more and the Sidekick is a lot less. For some reason you can't get them "skierized" which I guess means it comes with a rack...although I wouldn't trust their POS racks with 2 pairs of spats and a new solly deck anyways...
    Gonz

Don't know if you've already got some Hertz connects, but I found a few useful links today while I was shopping for a rental. Sorry if this is all old news to you, just thought I'd throw it out there.

If you have AAA you can get some good discounts, just enter a 212 (mid-atlantic region) for the CDP. There are better offers, but AAA offers additional insurance and other stuff.

AAA PC Codes: http://ww1.aaa.com/coupon/ZEmemberAAA.html

Other Coupon Codes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349433

Free #1 Club Gold Membership: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...keyword1=hertz
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Just saw the forecast on TV. Talking four to six feet at lake level.
    You guys will be hitting it at essentially the peak of the storm Friday Night.
    I hope you guys didn't reserve return tickets...Lookin like another Money Monday at the Wood.

edit: new weather info

Dudes,

Definitely program in the two numbers skier666 gave you. you will likely be calling those often, we all do.

Get a 4wd, don't worry about chains. If you come to a checkpoint, don't roll down your window unless asked, just give the guy a nod. that is usually all that is necessary if you are in a 4wd. If he asks about chains, lie, tell him they are stuffed in the back.

if the spur is open (doubtful) take it to kirkwood and sleep in the parking lot for a few hours. if not take greydon's advice and come to SLT via 50 and then go to kirkwood by 89 to 88 over carson pass. If carson pass is closed but kirkwood is open go wait in the line up on the pass for it to open. If the mountain is closed get in touch with one of us, some will likely hit the b/c others may go to heavenly to ski the bottom of the mountain (bottom of heavenly is extremo compared to the bottom of kirkwood ).

gonzo check your pm's.

good luck.

One more number...

The Cohee line: 877 KIRKWOO

And with regards to the Caltrans number, you can punch in the highway number on your keypad. If you speak the numbers you may get 15 instead of 50 and 18/80 instead 88. The voice system is kinda messed up.

The Spur closes a lot. So be prepared to go around.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

If 88/50 is closed, you guys can come to Truckee and stay with me and hit Squaw. Only because I knoe Gonzo's brother. Other than that, you're probably a bunch of internet psychos.

edit: Kinda weird, Oakland weatherman says 6 feet at elevation, Reno weatherman say 2 feet. That's a big difference.

shlitz.

greydon you da mang. looks like I80 to 50 to 89 to 88 is a good option.

tyrone, we'll be in touch. thanks again for the offer - bummed you can't be there with us...

Alex P. Keaton may or may not join us too, depending on our car and his plane situation. If we rent and he comes, it will help to split the costs. Plus I hear he is cute.
    My friends and I rented an Expedition for 2 weeks in Utah over XMas in 2003, and it's such a gas hog. Bring a lot of bungee cords in different lengths to carry your Spats on the roof. Make sure to bring a large towel to wipe them off - any twin-tip powder ski will collect some road grit. I rented an Outback with three people in Utah (stayed in SLC) and it was tight on the ride to our condo from the airport and back again.

we'll get there. basom has volunteered to drive.
    fuck, i did?

*i'm going to be so sleepy*

apk said last night in a drunken haze that he would float any additional costs for a larger rental. so i think we should hold him to that.