Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by basom
    apk said last night in a drunken haze that he would float any additional costs for a larger rental. so i think we should hold him to that.
    Good call. Impressed you even remembered that

Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    Good call. Impressed you even remembered that

was that a conference call that i was not aware of?

was that a conference call that i was not aware of?
    I tapped everyone's phones while I was up there (nothing else to do in Montgomery Center, that's for sure).

Another tip for getting through chain control:

Here in Southern California they are really anal about making 4WD vehicles show chains at the checkpoints. However, they almost never look inside the boxes. So, before you get to the checkpoint, pick up an empty chain box from the side of the road (people are always driving off leaving the box), and toss it in the back where the officer will be able to see it, but won't be able to touch it.

I spent a whole season driving through checkpoints with the wrong sized chains.

EC'ers, this storm is looking like a repeat of the last big one. if that's the case, i am afraid (anti-jinx) that 80 and/or 50 will most likely be either 1) closed for periods of time fri & sat, and/or 2) clogged w/gapers putting chains on, sliding out, driving 5 mph, etc. in other words: painfully slow.

use those caltrans road numbers to keep updated (though they seem to be real slow updating them, lazy bastards...), and as many have said, i would opt the 80 -> 50 route coming out of SF vs the more slide prone route...

good luck, be safe, and get 'sum...

Thanks to everyone for offers/advice. You'd almost think I didn't live in San Francisco...

Looks like Gonz lands @ SFO @ 9:30. Grabs rig, picks up Honc at the Mandate in the Castro, grab Schlitz, get Basom @ OAK @ 11:30.

APK, Gonz told me this morning that you're looking at flights to Sacto; if you can land around 2 that would be perfect...

This should be a gongshow. Looking forward to it.
    You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani
    GET SOME CHAAAAAAAAAAINS, YOU CUPCAKES!!!!!
    Full marks for the P-Tex reference.

SaAaH (and Punani is a Stump encyclopedia),
    d.

we are getting there.

honc, i am beyond excited.

fuck, i did?

apk said last night in a drunken haze that he would float any additional costs for a larger rental. so i think we should hold him to that.
    go for the deluxe alpine chateau - 21 rooms but..

If 88, 50 & 80 are ALL closed, you MAY be able to get through over 49, Yuba Pass. 80 --> Auburn --> through Downieville --> over Yuba Pass --> 89 --> Sierraville --> Truckee. I did that way once, took me almost 18 hours from the bay to my front door. It was the only road open and a line of cars was following a snowplow over the summit at 5 mph, none of us daring to pass. Far from the best option but may be the only option if this thing really pounds hard. Good Luck!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig
    If 88, 50 & 80 are ALL closed, you MAY be able to get through over 49, Yuba Pass. 80 --> Auburn --> through Downieville --> over Yuba Pass --> 89 --> Sierraville --> Truckee. I did that way once, took me almost 18 hours from the bay to my front door. It was the only road open and a line of cars was following a snowplow over the summit at 5 mph, none of us daring to pass. Far from the best option but may be the only option if this thing really pounds hard. Good Luck!
    that's committment! i would avoid 49, that is one slow windy road in the best conditions, especially from downieville to truckee...surely that section will be essentially impassable during this blizzard?

Some further advice:

While the SoCal chapter of CHP and Caltrans are nazis about chains, their Northern brethren are not. In other words, if you have 4wd w/ snow tires you won't get checked for chains. Just flash them 4 fingers and they'll wave you through. SoCal was a different story. I even got turned back once down there.

And while the Schlitz is a great idea, DO NOT HAVE OPEN ALCOHOL CONTAINERS IN YOUR CAR IN CALIFORNIA. I can't stress this enough. If you do choose to take a chance, be mindful to conceal them.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    DO NOT HAVE OPEN ALCOHOL CONTAINERS IN YOUR CAR IN CALIFORNIA. I can't stress this enough. If you do choose to take a chance, be mindful to conceal them.
    A very very good point! The police here will nail you if they see an open container whether you've been drinking from it or not.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

No worries, Schlitz isn’t sold in CA. You’ll have to go up-market and drink Pabst and Oly or go slum village with Hamm’s and Rainer.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

I buzzed through all chain check points during the last storm in my rented Subie. Had no chains or snow tires, just did the "4 fingers" flash as Arty suggested. Didn't have a problem at the Oregon boarder either on the way back as most everything else was pulling off to chain up.

and i'm probably stating the obvious, but it's possible out of towners may not know this...

North Lake Tahoe and South Lake Tahoe are two very distinct places. They are far from each other, especially during a snowstorm. I'm not sure about the East side of the lake, but during a storm, you will NOT be able to get from North to South Lake (and vice versa) via the West shore.

Keep that in mind while planning.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by watersnowdirt

well, its good we don't have a plan then.

NO PLANS
    NO GUESTS
    NO SIMILIES
    NO EMOTICONS
    ALL HAIL CHAT

NO GUESTS

Bring a blackberry or something and I'll promise to chat with you loonies to keep you awake while you're stuck in 9000 hours of traffic. And I promise not to use similies.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Bring a blackberry or something and I'll promise to chat with you loonies to keep you awake while you're stuck in 9000 hours of traffic. And I promise not to use similies.

apk and bill are addicted to text messaging anyways. you will of course have to stay awake all night, as thats at least how long we are going to be on the road.

If you East Coasters cant get to the 'weed, there will be maggots at Alpine and Squaw both. Just ask for change.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

and i'm probably stating the obvious, but it's possible out of towners may not know this...

North Lake Tahoe and South Lake Tahoe are two very distinct places. They are far from each other, especially during a snowstorm. I'm not sure about the East side of the lake, but during a storm, you will NOT be able to get from North to South Lake (and vice versa) via the West shore.

The road around the east side is prett mellow and open most of the time. The West side closes instantly at Emerald bay.

Thanks so much for all the info and offers guys. Sadly, Honc got the corporate cock-shafting and has to be in LA at 7:00 am Monday. It told him he should quit. He said he would think about it.

The new retard-mobile crew is basom, mildbill, Alex P. Keaton, and gonzo. We will be in a expedition, hopefully with chains on it, which will contains 4 retards, far too many skis, one snowboard, one pair of snowshoes, water, gas, a whisperlite, white gas, mac and cheese, stinky green, sleeping bags, avie gear, two iPods with car connectors (in case one breaks), one mini-dv camera, one helmet cam, at least one digi cam, and an inflatible fuck-pig. Departing oakland at about 12:15 am and getting where ever the fuck we can get.

I think we have most people's phone numbers. Tthis should be interesting. If you can think of anything else we should bring (besides lube - we thought of that) please chime in. Hopefully our planes will land. Basom is so ready to kill it, it's not even funny.

edits: red bull, gatorade, and peanut butter cliff bars.
    Last edited by gonzo; 01-06-2005 at 05:20 PM.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Best pre-TR ever. I am excited, and I'm already here. I think you should fully make a documentary movie out of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........