Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    So, if I'm interpreting basom's phone message correct, it sounds like you guys killed it. It took quite a few listenings and detailed analysis with some CSI-like tools, but that's what I came up with.

To be honest, that message was a lot more subdued and coherent than I was expecting. I'm almost disappointed

Killing it is a numbing experience- it never gets any easier. That's why base isn't freaking out on the message as much as you might expect.

Also we had just almost gotten hit by a van while being blinded by a huge sheet of water.

This thread almost makes me want to move away from Utah just so I can go on trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex P. Keaton

Also we had just almost gotten hit by a van while being blinded by a huge sheet of water.
    if i had actually met Shoe before i left that message it might have been a bit more ampy. and APK is right. we came very close to death at the hands of a 4 inch deep highway wide puddle at 70 mph. i was ashen.

Thank God I passed out before the food baby came out.

So I'll add one more last little bit since I just got to my cube from Squallywood, the last chapter of this storm cycle, as it were.

13:00 January 12 2005 - Just got back to work from Squaw, again thanks to my boss graciously giving me this morning off. Woke up this morning high up in Tahoe-Donner to absolutely calm bluebird and sub-freezing temps. Made my friend breakfast, tried unsuccessfully to convince her that she should come with me and skip work, and hammered over to Squaw. Met Rob and Susan (non-maggots, but occasional lurkers) for first Box, and laid eyes on the nighttime handiwork of some brave souls under our ascending tram.

Beelined out the tram down to Headwall to scoop a few buffed-out slots before heading to Emigrant to session the Pocket. It was kind of far away to tell, but it looked like the scientist had trained his camera at the Spitter and associated rockbands on the lookers-left side. Someone in a red coat (Cody?) skated from the back of the top and aired over the Spitter a soild 40-50 feet into a backslap tomahawk explosion which looked somewhat unpleasant. Maybe thoese early-uppers were done filming by then and it was just another one of those nutty Squaw locals going for it yet again.

Rob eyed Coolios, a line named after him, but opted out due to the recentness of his new knee, and Susan and I launched over Cheesegrater after making a turn (me) or three (her) before pointing it off the upper pad. Nothing quite like dropping a smallish rock that provides you with the pleasant suprise of a few extra seconds of hangtime due to the steepness of the slope it calls home. And under the bluebird (sickbird??) conditions with well over God knows how many feet of fresh up in the Pocket since the last time it was open (Thanksgiving?), people were chucking their carcasses off just about everything. The pros had dissolved and melted off elsewhere by the time we were on top, so all the circus-act acrobats we witnessed were mere pleebs like ourselves.

We rallied up Emigrant, and dropped into Corkscrew, finding mostly skied out wind-hardened formerly soft snow, and made a quick slip down to the Granite chair. Got to the top, and decided that the peak needed to be hiked. Much panting and cursing of the hookah later, we made it to the shoulder of Patrol Chute rocks (I think it's called the Buttress??), and dropped that down into the bowl. I wanted Patrol Chute, but some earlier person (JT) had beat me to it, so I opted for a hairy trek through the rocks comprising the immediate skiers right shoulder of the main rock outcrop. Came out nuking into the bowl below in only the way that spatulas can, going from 40 to 15 with one "throw 'em sideways I want a face shot dammit" turn. We travered all the way out to the skiers left into the woods, and farmed some last of the storm pow lines.

At this point, we decided that it was time to go for the Triple Crown - the Palisades needed to get done. Grabbed a quick Gatorade ($3.50 - FUCK YOU ALEX CUSHING!), and headed up Siberia for the last hike of the day. As usual, the passing of the storm(s) had brought with it a fierce East wind, which was ripping UP the face of the Palisades, taking with it most of the entire 15-20 feet worth of snow that had blanketed my favorite terrain feature at Squaw.

We made the top, and walked the edge from the lookers left side of the Chimney all the way to Extra Chute, and saw lines, lines, lines, all in low-snow early-season shape (dry snow and east winds) with April-esque snow level runouts (ample soft pow, little-to-no traverse track interference, no rocks whatsoever). After a few minutes of contemplating airing into the Box, or maybe over the Tubes, I decided that the winds were just howling too much for me to be able to pilot my spatulas in the appropriate direction once airborne (hey Punani - which Stump movie is it where Scot Schmidt talks about getting blown upaide down by the winds on the Palisades?) I watched several folks make turns on the fin in the middle of Extra Chute into nice, buttery wind-effected 45 degree hanging sastrugi snow, but decided that the all-but unskied Kitchen Wall to Sun Bowl to Adrenaline was calling my name most loudly.

Dropped into Kitchen Wall, lined up a decent 15-20 footer with some gnarly looking S+P rocks below the landing, but figured, what the hell, there's so much snow - what could possibly happen? So I make a turn, then another, then point it off the lip. Fall, fall, fall, BAP! stomp it, and begin to gain speed like you read about, only to find that my effort to spatulate my speed away was met with--------super hard windblown ice from BEFORE the storms!

You might imagine what happened next, I binding-butted myself and began the first in a series of tomahawks, which given the stories above, seems to be some kind of a theme for this storm cycle. Susan picked up the pieces I threw off my flailing body, and I patched myself back together and we headed down to find some of the deepest snow yet this storm in the part of the Enchanted Forest where the gnomes that give the Altoid Hummers live. After that situation was, er, let's just say, cleaned up, it was time for lunch and the flash back to Truckee for work.

And so ends the 14 day blizzard of 2004-2005, complete with the Masshole invasion of Truckee, Wombats, and I don't even want to rehash what else went down in California and elsewhere. Tahoe will never be the same.

Oh yeah, and sice I had to take leave without pay yesterday and today, thanks for the Ravioli boys, it'll come in mighty handy.
    Last edited by Lane Meyer; 01-12-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer
    thanks for the Ravioli boys, it'll come in mighty handy.
    don't throw away the empty can! that thing will be worth a bundle some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer

And so ends the 14 day blizzard of 2004-2005, complete with the Masshole invasion of Truckee, Wombats, and I don't even want to rehash what else went down in California and elsewhere. Tahoe will never be the same.

Oh yeah, and sice I had to take leave without pay yesterday and today, thanks for the Ravioli boys, it'll come in mighty handy.
    i knew it would!

fkna grant, totaly fucking sickbird!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill "sportscenter" Martin.
    don't throw away the empty can! that thing will be worth a bundle some day.

dunnanunt dunnanunt!

lane, great TR of today....very nice.

kick ass lane. glad you got some more!

it was beefaroni, btw...
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Thumbs up

video = highlarious

Sundance Short of the Year!

Quote Originally Posted by JMO
    Line Worths
    West Face=300-850 GNAR points depending on line and snow level.
    Broken Arrow=200-1,050
    Headwall=100-800
    Cornice II=300-850

Penalties
    Binding Butt=-300
    Belly Flop=-1,000
    Tomahawk=-2,000

Extra Credit
    After 3pm=50
    Radness Yell ("Before dropping into line, vigorously wave arms while yelling at the top of lungs 'Check me out! I'm going to rip the shit out of this!'"). Someone must have done this. If so=150
    First KT Chair=5,000
    I would like to propose a modification, any Tomahawk over, say, 5 spins should count as +2,000, but only if caught on film

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    7:00 am Monday - Hour 64 - Stopped snowing and has warmed up a bit. We down 7-11 burritos and head to the hill. We hop in first in line at KT-22.

Headwall and Granite Chief are on hold and will hopefully be opening. Basom and I get first chair. Fingers have filled in. The terrain continues to blow us away..

We head straight to Chute 75 again. First tracks. Again. Basom gets Sickbird for the day for stopping mid-cherry pop to take some pictures of us as we mach by.
    gonzo:

mildbill:

apk:

Snow down low is a bit wet, but still fun. We run another lap to lookers left. So much fun terrain. Fun airs had. Great turns made.
    mildone:

apk:

gonzo:

although i was behind the camera for this one, the guys were nice enough to get one of me killing some high angle sickness.

basom:
    Last edited by basom; 01-13-2005 at 06:10 AM.

Nice pics, Gimpy McStormchaser.

SaAaH (and liking the apk air),
    d.

Sweet pics... *cries a little*

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

So how do a bunch of guys from Beantown manage to get so many first chairs at Squaw????

E = seriously impressed.

I have a feeling this will never be beaten.

Pats win Super Bowl
    Red Sox win World Series
    EC mags score first chair on KT after 15 foot dump

What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    So how do a bunch of guys from Beantown manage to get so many first chairs at Squaw????
    puritan work ethic coupled with yankee ingenuity, obviously.

Cause weah fackin' HAAAD-COAH, GUY!

That picture is such great proof!

wdit: We researched tomahawk points in GNAR. the rules state a tomahawk is a double flip post fall and is -2000 i believe. loosing a ski is -1000...thus bill's double ejection quad flip 'hawk is -6000...ha!
    Last edited by gonzo; 01-13-2005 at 08:10 AM.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

That picture is such great proof!
    g.n.a.r. points confirmed

Well, since the Gaffneys are from New York, we had extra motivation.

Also, we rule.

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    puritan work ethic coupled with yankee ingenuity, obviously.
    wicked pissa" good stuff. but seriously, what time did you have to line up @ KT to score 1st chair that day? 7am?