Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    just fucking awesome!!!!!

Once again, FKNA.

Very impressive work.

d.

The end - or is it??

Tuesday January 11th - 18:34 PM PST - I just got back home from Squaw. Remember how I said "Wednesday will be 'the day'?" Well, I WAS WRONG. Today was the day. Everything went, save for Silverado, the Palisades, and the Pocket. I owe absolutely everything to my boss, Pat, who was ridiculously sympathetic to my request to have tomorrow off. He was so sympathetic to it, in fact, that he told me to take this afternoon off too.

I left work at noon, hammered over to Squaw in broken clouds that turned back into dumping snow by the time I made it to the Valley. I parked, jumped into my gear, and headed straight for the Funitel to Headwall scramble. Somehwere around the middle of broken arrow, I saw that they had vegunb to load Headwall. I called Cody, heard he was dicking around in the woods filming, so I was on my own. Ran into Doughboy immediately, and hit Slot to lower Light Towers, then lapped CII a couple times until we heard that Granite was about to go. Made it over there, and immediately lost Dopughboy somewhere in Corkscrew around Chamber Cliff, which I think he sent from the top.

The snow over there was insanely deep. Again, I was on spatulas, but I was getting full on face shots. To quote The Scientist, "Light, deep....and an absolute utopia." The clouds were breaking, the winds were light to moderate, and NO ONE WAS OUT. Managed to meet up with Bill, who was still killing it despite doing so for about 4 hours on his own. He was stoked to have some local guidage, so we sessioned the best that Granite has to offer. Way to go Bill, bell to bell like a rock star.

For whatever reason, I seemed to respond to a new-found vigor to hurl myself off of rocks with an unhealthy reaction of not being able to stomp anything, but in 15 feet of snow, it sure as hell didn't matter. I was pinballing and cartwheeling down everything, and met with only hoots and hollers from myself and lookers-on.

We bailed and did a Broken Arrow/Tower 16 to Headwall, and then got to play on some of the rocks in CII bowl before heading to Balboa for burgers and PBRs, which Bill graciously bought (thanks mang!).

All in all, today was the day, and one last Beantown Maggot got to enjoy it in full-force. I don't think I've ever seen a quiet guy have a shit eater plastered on his face for so long.

So now you guys know how things go down on the north shore of Tahoe, so stoked for you and glad to have taken part in the insanity. As I said before, come back anytime.

Talking

BAP BAP BAP! YEAH DOODS!
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer
    Tuesday January 11th - 18:34 PM PST - I just got back home from Squaw. Remember how I said "Wednesday will be 'the day'?" Well, I WAS WRONG. Today was the day. Everything went, save for Silverado, the Palisades, and the Pocket. I owe absolutely everything to my boss, Pat, who was ridiculously sympathetic to my request to have tomorrow off. He was so sympathetic to it, in fact, that he told me to take this afternoon off too.

I left work at noon, hammered over to Squaw in broken clouds that turned back into dumping snow by the time I made it to the Valley. I parked, jumped into my gear, and headed straight for the Funitel to Headwall scramble. Somehwere around the middle of broken arrow, I saw that they had vegunb to load Headwall. I called Cody, heard he was dicking around in the woods filming, so I was on my own. Ran into Doughboy immediately, and hit Slot to lower Light Towers, then lapped CII a couple times until we heard that Granite was about to go. Made it over there, and immediately lost Dopughboy somewhere in Corkscrew around Chamber Cliff, which I think he sent from the top.

The snow over there was insanely deep. Again, I was on spatulas, but I was getting full on face shots. To quote The Scientist, "Light, deep....and an absolute utopia." The clouds were breaking, the winds were light to moderate, and NO ONE WAS OUT. Managed to meet up with Bill, who was still killing it despite doing so for about 4 hours on his own. He was stoked to have some local guidage, so we sessioned the best that Granite has to offer. Way to go Bill, bell to bell like a rock star.

For whatever reason, I seemed to respond to a new-found vigor to hurl myself off of rocks with an unhealthy reaction of not being able to stomp anything, but in 15 feet of snow, it sure as hell didn't matter. I was pinballing and cartwheeling down everything, and met with only hoots and hollers from myself and lookers-on.

We bailed and did a Broken Arrow/Tower 16 to Headwall, and then got to play on some of the rocks in CII bowl before heading to Balboa for burgers and PBRs, which Bill graciously bought (thanks mang!).

All in all, today was the day, and one last Beantown Maggot got to enjoy it in full-force. I don't think I've ever seen a quiet guy have a shit eater plastered on his face for so long.

So now you guys know how things go down on the north shore of Tahoe, so stoked for you and glad to have taken part in the insanity. As I said before, come back anytime.
    hell yeah! way to get after it boys

as i am sit here cursing you all under my breath as I thougt Wed was going to be "The Day"...damn it

FKNA! sounds like it went off big time today Lane.

Hoping my shuffling of the morning schedule tomorrow pays off at kirkwood like it paid off for you.

God Damn this is alot of snow.

To all y'all EC boys-

Thank you. Seriously, thank you. As we were sitting around having beers in the Chamoix, all I could think about was the unbelievable stoke that skiing brings to people. Skiing brings so much stoke, that a bunch a lunatics from all around the country, all with the same passion, randomly meet up, and chase the dream. So sick.

All in all it was good meeting you peeps and you're welcome back to Squaw any friggin time.

Regarding Today-
    Third chair, middle knuckle, tits deep, so sick.
    Then I went to work. Oh yeah, work was actually fun as hell. It consisted of shooting nipple deep pow in the trees in and out of bounds around Squaw with my heroes. Work did not suck.

Oh yeah, and that 17 year old girl was Michelle Parker. She's a jibber who's been following me and George around, learning the big mountain ropes. She'll be the best skier in the world in...I'd say 3 years.

Thumbs up

Just skimmed this thread for pics. Nice action, boys!

It's funny, because this is exactly how I imagined hanging with mildbill:

ha, me too, that picture captures it.

Can't say enough about how happy I am for the bean crew and really, how proud of them I am. It's silly but I am stoked for the fellas.

Killed it? It is fuckin dead.

I was in the KT line at about 8:45 and got back to my car about 3. 5th day straight, I'm exhausted but still grinning! Scored fresh on KT, Broken Arrow, had an amazing reverse traverse run down the slot before the HW lift opened then scored unbelievably deep turns on the Chief. Today was most definitely the day! Heard 'em blasting as I was loading the Spatulas in the car. Silverado tomorrow?
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig
    Silverado tomorrow?
    Siverado hasn't opened yet? holy crap..that place is gonna be insane with all this snow. Silverado is like it's own experts only mini-resort.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Gonzo - SO WELL FUCKING DONE, my friend!
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Thumbs up

Impressive peformances by all. Kick ass thread. [/blinding jealousy]

first the redsox, now this.. wow.

fkna guys, way to get after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik
    As we were sitting around having beers in the Chamoix, all I could think about was the unbelievable stoke that skiing brings to people. Skiing brings so much stoke, that a bunch a lunatics from all around the country, all with the same passion, randomly meet up, and chase the dream. So sick.
    yes and yes. the stoke radiation was severe that day. people just feeding off each other.

i talked to bill as he was headed over to granite to meet up with lane and he was trying his hardest to contain himself. it was obvious he didn't want me to know how good it was, and it was nice of him not to rub it in. glad you got the afternoon lane.

the one thing about visiting squaw during the biggest snowfall since 1916 is it pretty much guarantees that you rearange your life in order to move there.

Quite the turn around for bill, eh? From not going at all, to staying there indefinitely. How'd he swing that?

Kudos all around.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and sign me up for the next one),
    d.

Quote Originally Posted by gincognito
    Quite the turn around for bill, eh? From not going at all, to staying there indefinitely. How'd he swing that?
    no, i was talking about me gin. bill's plane should have already touched down at logan by now.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    1:15 pm - Hour 24 - Nearly 13 hours after getting in the car and, for APK, 27 hours after starting to travel, we roll into the Homewood parking lot in north lake. Decided on Homewood because of the sheltered terrain from the howling wind. Turns out Squaw shut down at 1:00 and Alpine only opened minimally, so Homewood was a good call for some afternoon laps. Head over to elf-land or something like that to ski some trees. The snow is DEEP. Dense so you don't sink to your waist with your skis or board on, but you would if you took them off. Soft and light enough to go overhead if you lay a turn into it, but firm and bouncy enough to make it really fun to bomb around in. Great for landing. Homewood has lots of gullys with big ass trees and fun little shots. We good get laps in to warm up to the snow, knowing that the next two days are going to be sick sick sick.

chairlift interview series, vol. 7
    Last edited by basom; 01-12-2005 at 06:29 AM. Reason: linky mcworky

Thumbs up

It's stories like this that got me to move out to Squaw 10 years ago. This thread is awesome and it really takes me back. There's nothing like riding up KT on a big day - or any chair on that mountain for that matter. Squaw is an amazing place. So glad to see you guys living it up out there.

Talking

totally fucking sickbird.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

(Probably the understatement of the year, but...)

Great stuff, guys. I'm totally jealous.

And excellent use of LL Cool J on the vid.
    So I got that goin' for me...which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    totally fucking sickbird, yes indeed

sweet vid

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer
    I don't think I've ever seen a quiet guy have a shit eater plastered on his face for so long.
    I thought it was called a goatee, but me neither.

Stoked that Tuesday went off and that Lane and Billy killed it. It would have been nice to get stranded for another day, but we would have lost precision points and the feeling of a plan perfectly executed is satisfying in and of itself. Honestagawd, if my tuition was refundable I'd still be out there.

Totally fucking sickbird.