Thread: Ocean kayaking

Ocean kayaking

I went kayaking a few times (2), for the first time, this summer on a couple lakes, but this weekend I'm heading to the ocean. I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm the sink or swim type. Bad call? Any advice?

From many years of WW I can roll a seakayak but really you never actualy want to get a seakayak into that situation SO pick your conditons & have fun ... if the weather is bad don't go out

^^^ good advice. Don't put yourself into any situations that you aren't ready for and you'll be fine. If you want to practice/prepare, wet exits are all you need. And carry a pump or bailing bucket just in case.

how tidal is where you are gona paddle, on the BC coast the tides could cause anything from a 5 ft standing surf wave to taking you the wrong direction

I like a spray deck to keep from swamping, if you have a gortex shell they make a handy paddling jacket especialy if its an alpinist cut

for your hands if you don't have pogies thread your paddle thru some medium sized plastic freezer bags

If you don't have a reliable roll, a good rule of thumb is don't paddle anywhere you wouldn't be comfortable swimming back from. Wear a life jacket and if the water is cold where you will be paddling, some neoprene is a good idea as well. If you have ocean experience (surfing, snorkling, etc.) the risks from tides and currents should be obvious. If not, talk to someone who knows the area where you are going and find out if there is anything in particular to be concerned about.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

If you can't roll, at least learn some form of self rescue in a safe environment first.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

It's fun and a great activity.

Get out there!

We kayak a lot up here and are geared up accordingly (dry suits / gloves) because the ocean out here likes to kill people for fun. Gloves can be very important because you can lose the ability to even hold the paddle after only a brief time in the water, then what are you going to do....

But on a nice day we wear regular stuff but always carry a dry bag with a change of clothes in case of a dump (it can happen when you turn to watch some puffins fly by, or a sea lion decides to charge)

You should definitely take a basic course in how to exit and re-enter the boat, it can make a huge difference, like not dying while out having fun.

fyi: I can't roll my boat with gear in it, but I can get back in alone and not die, but I rarely go out alone, buddies are your friends, share the activity.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

and remember seakayaking is SERIOUS business!

piss bottle
    off your knees Louie

++ on the dry bag to stow a change of dry clothes. In that same dry bag, stick some fire-starter and one of those silver emergency blankets...they weigh almost nothing.

Piss bottle is a good idea too.

Bring a bunch of energy bars, plenty of water...make sure you have a decent spray skirt....strap a second paddle on deck, along with manual bilge pump...

Keep an eye out for beam-on waves and ENJOY !
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

MOST sea kayakers can't roll their boat and I am not sure if i could roll one that is fully loaded but really you don't want to put yourself anywhere near that situation

My paddle bud can creek class 5 or play boat or paddle a slalom boat but he is also an avid seakayaker, bro has paddled smithers to glacier bay, around prince of wales isl, around both the queen charlotte isl,kincolith to bella coola,kincolith to prince rupert which are collectively almost a year of paddling in the last 5 and not gone over once

A pilots "piddle pack" works too, ziplock bag with a small sponge inside.
    watch out for snakes

stuff you need to be aware of any time you go out there in a boat:
    - wear the right clothing for the water temperature and a pfd
    - be aware of potential currents and wind (even moderate wind can blow a kayak away from a swimmer faster than anyone can swim wearing a PFD)
    - learn effective rescue techniques right in the beginning. it's fun, it will boost your confidence, and greatly increase your safety.

given the conditions are manageable it's totally ok to try without a course/guide. but practice those rescues (google will help)

have fun!
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

Thanks for all the advice guys...I'll be going to the Fort Ross area (an hour above Bodgea), I've gone sense I was a kid. I've got a wet suit, don't think I've got the right equiment for the pee bottle to be useful. I'll definetly be taking it easy, but one day I'm hoping to use the kayak for some ab diving.

Umm...One more thing, so I'm guessing a "piddle pack" is for peeing in?

something to get you started on the self-rescue topic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wElZ4z14VWw
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~