Page 382 of 396 FirstFirst ... 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 ... LastLast
Results 9,526 to 9,550 of 9892
    You usually don't see the Daily Show correspondents actually get pissed at an interviewee. IMHO Aasif had every right to punch that guy in the face.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

good discussion y'all. yes asbestos mining is to the SHAME of most quebecers. too bad we have much more important topics during this election like petty language disputes and xenophobic religious symbol fear ARG

thetford mine avalanche death in 2008

http://www.avalanche.org/data.php?da...8&sort=&id=421
    http://www.centreavalanche.qc.ca/upl...rd%20Mines.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Looks like Oct. 20, this year... mark your calendars. Raining here now of course.

Hey, just throwing this out there guys and gals... 10/20 is also the day of the last official volunteer day at Magic this fall. Anybody heading up to Ullrfest from down south want to plan on making a stop there, kick some deadfall ass and then head to Ullrfest? Seems like it would be a great ski-related offering of blood, sweat and beers on such a momentus occasion that could only further impress upon Ullr that this season needs to be on point. We are usually done by early afternoon, so we would be in Granville mid afternoon.

Anyways, just a thought and wanted to throw that out there.

In case you were wondering, the other official days are 9/22 and 10/6, with a smattering of unofficial days in between with smaller crews. As always, if you're going to be in the neighborhood and want to get out, hike the hill and help to get some of this downfall and irene/ice storm mess out of the woods it's always appreciated so just get in touch and let me know when you'll be around.

Thanks mags!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I was just given 4 free tickets to the Patriots-Giants preseason game tomorrow. Any NYC area mags want to join me? I'll probably drive from Brooklyn (also have a parking pass).

^^^ If it was at Foxboro I would have jumped at it. Enjoy.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Yeah, DW, I think Liz and I could be down for that. She had fun the last time. I'll ask her about it. Course, depends on if we're hooking up any dirtbags with a ride.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TahoeO.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	119858

From a summer trip to Lake Tahoe. View of Eagle's Nest/McConkey's at Squaw. Not on my to do list

Name:	HuffPond2012V.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	119860

Not sure what I look so unhappy. I lost his big brother AFTER this photo was taken. Foreshadowing, perhaps;(

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Hey, just throwing this out there guys and gals... 10/20 is also the day of the last official volunteer day at Magic this fall. Anybody heading up to Ullrfest from down south want to plan on making a stop there, kick some deadfall ass and then head to Ullrfest? Seems like it would be a great ski-related offering of blood, sweat and beers on such a momentus occasion that could only further impress upon Ullr that this season needs to be on point. We are usually done by early afternoon, so we would be in Granville mid afternoon.

Anyways, just a thought and wanted to throw that out there.

In case you were wondering, the other official days are 9/22 and 10/6, with a smattering of unofficial days in between with smaller crews. As always, if you're going to be in the neighborhood and want to get out, hike the hill and help to get some of this downfall and irene/ice storm mess out of the woods it's always appreciated so just get in touch and let me know when you'll be around.

Thanks mags!
    Will be there for the first 2 but getting the screws out of my knee on the 15th. Supposed to be on crutches for at least 2 weeks after that until the holes fill in.
    I'm up for some in-between weekends except 9/15-16. Have to be father-of-the-bride that weekend. Let me know and I'll hike and clear with you.

Matty Do. That may work for Ali and I. Would love to make da Ullrfest finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post

Name:	HuffPond2012V.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	119860

Not sure what I look so unhappy. I lost his big brother AFTER this photo was taken. Foreshadowing, perhaps;(
    Nice to see you are still getting after it down south. I plan to get out this weekend, most likely Sunday...probably Green River but a chance we might head down your way to BP, I will let you know if we choose the later.

Ha, ha... I am dying for some more days like that W. I almost put a disclaimer on the pic saying Brady made it out of this fine. I posted it because I like the color surrounded by the virgin snow and it was the last run of as Weasel says, a great day.

Here's the next shot of the sequence as proof he made by the tree:

Also, if I remember, Brady had been sick for several weeks and just returned from Africa. Not exactly operating anywhere near 100%, so he did pretty well.
    Lest we forget, BD on the other side of the lens that day...

Name:	Photo03011137.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	119876
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    Stoked for some new VT BC. If anyone can names where this is in northern vermont, they get some Worth Stickers mailed to them(yes VT not NH, Rog ). I have not skied it before, only heard about and seen it from the road, but I will be there this season for sure now that I know it can be skied relatively safely. 45 degrees and 800 + feet of vert.

ML- have him give me a shout if he needs a spot to crash before canada, swanton crossing is 30-40 minutes from me.
    An interesting place. Things not mentioned are the heinous terrain trap located directly at the bottom of the slope, the armed red neck whos job it is to chase people away, and the LONG slog in and out.....for the 3-400 (not 800) vertical feet of wind loaded snow. Worth doin once though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    An interesting place. Things not mentioned are the heinous terrain trap located directly at the bottom of the slope, the armed red neck whos job it is to chase people away, and the LONG slog in and out.....for the 3-400 (not 800) vertical feet of wind loaded snow. Worth doin once though.
    Yeah skiing it wind loaded would not be the window. I always thought a spring corn day would be the right way to do it. Not interested in skiing powder there, never was. Although hearing all the geeking out on slope angles there has been fun. Plenty of spots around here to ski pow. buddies who have skied it, skied it on consolidated spring days. Same way most people ski the presidentials.

I just thought it was cool to see some pics of people actually skiing it rather than hearing the stories all the time.

I heard Ryan tiabault ran it on a mt bike. Pretty ballsy.

Nice fish bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Nice to see you are still getting after it down south. I plan to get out this weekend, most likely Sunday...probably Green River but a chance we might head down your way to BP, I will let you know if we choose the later.
    It has been a great season FD - have been catching good bass throughout the summer months, including a 6 to 8 pounder that stands as my personal best. BP has been very active - let me know if you are in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    Lest we forget, BD on the other side of the lens that day...

Name:	Photo03011137.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	119876
    Twas a good day indeed

^Talk about riding the arm chair on skis... (in my defense, I am emerging from bushwacking and sat back to ride over a few small trees (and chipmunks), so I wouldn't hurt them .)

So glad to see lots of enthusiasm for Ullrfest. DoWork's Magic plan sounds good... you can work up your thirst and appetite, then relax and party all night.

LD, any schwag is always appreciated... especially skiing related. Be great to see the regulars as usual and hope to see those who haven't been able to attend yet.

I just ordered Meatheads new film, "No Matter What", and TGR's, "The Dream Factory". Hopefully High Anxiety will have a 2012 local film as well as anyone else with a home movie. (It's pretty fun watching by the bon fire on a huge outdoor screen!) I will post a thread soon, but put Oct. 20-21 on your calendars.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    It has been a great season FD - have been catching good bass throughout the summer months, including a 6 to 8 pounder that stands as my personal best. BP has been very active - let me know if you are in the area.
    Have a spot up here where we have not caught any smallies smaller than this. Super impressed with this place. All top water action and lots of acrobatics.

Pigs on Poppers

Quote Originally Posted by sequoiashan View Post
    Attachment 119844
    It's coming....
    hoping it gives up more then one or two days like this, unlike last season, love the beard before and after submersion

Last edited by thin cover; 08-30-2012 at 10:10 AM.

PSA: K-ton 2 fer ends tomorrow.
    http://www.killington.com/winter/2fo...1-social-media
    Looking forward to Ullrfest, BD! I'll be attending as a newly married man. Yikes!

Hopefully High Anxiety will have a 2012 local film as well as anyone else with a home movie. (It's pretty fun watching by the bon fire on a huge outdoor screen!)
    don't want to speak for HA, but I will anyway. Not much in the way of filming last year. Between his world tour (well Japan and Mammoth) and limited pow time in VT we chose to enjoy the pow. HA pulled together that quick pov edit from powder week last season, feel free to throw that up on the big screen. Nothing special though just some pow turns and chase scenes.

Hoping for alot more of those turns TC and plan on many more dawn patrols now that my commute is much shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    Yeah skiing it wind loaded would not be the window. I always thought a spring corn day would be the right way to do it. Not interested in skiing powder there, never was. Although hearing all the geeking out on slope angles there has been fun. Plenty of spots around here to ski pow. buddies who have skied it, skied it on consolidated spring days. Same way most people ski the presidentials.

I just thought it was cool to see some pics of people actually skiing it rather than hearing the stories all the time.
    Since there's talk of skiing Eddy's, here are some pics and video I hope change some minds. There are no anchors on these tailing piles and a high chance of a wet slide during a Spring day. The video below has some arrows that draw out what you see in the photos.

I'll preface below with even when you put 4 people with years of ski, wilderness, and medical experience together and bring 3 additional people w/radios and 400 mm lenses as spotters, there's still a risk. Can we please save the avy analysis for another time and take this for what it is. I tend not to post on these topics because it sends off a trail of shoulda, woulda, coulda by armchair experts.

2 foot crown...

A few hundred feet wide...

And had someone been caught in this, they would have ended up on the ice covered lake below...or under the ice. The pic makes this look steeper than it really was. 25 degrees at the top and 35 halfway down.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyarea View Post
    Since there's talk of skiing Eddy's, here are some pics and video I hope change some minds. There are no anchors on these tailing piles and a high chance of a wet slide during a Spring day. The video below has some arrows that draw out what you see in the photos.

I'll preface below with even when you put 4 people with years of ski, wilderness, and medical experience together and bring 3 additional people w/radios and 400 mm lenses as spotters, there's still a risk. Can we please save the avy analysis for another time and take this for what it is. I tend not to post on these topics because it sends off a trail of shoulda, woulda, coulda by armchair experts.

A few hundred feet wide...
    Yikes

Kinda figured that terrain could produce a slide like that. Just nothing there for the snow to really bond to.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyarea View Post

Amen. It's a very dangerous place. The only reason i dipped my toe in this topic was to communicate exactly that. I would never tell anyone that the tailing piles are safe in any way.

Your post communicates this perfectly. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad (it sounds like) you guys are all O.K.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Does anyone have a roof rack setup they're looking to get rid of? Specifically for a 2003 civic coupe (Q115 clips, 48" bars for Yak), but getting new Q clips shouldn't be a big problem.

According to the Thule site, I need the 480 traverse kit with 50" bars.

It looks to me that the Yak racks are much easier/cheaper to interchange between cars. Someone school me on this?

May be driving to Boston this weekend to pick up a kayak, so I could potentially stop by if you're between Albany and there.

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    Amen. It's a very dangerous place. The only reason i dipped my toe in this topic was to communicate exactly that. I would never tell anyone that the tailing piles are safe in any way.

Your post communicates this perfectly. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad (it sounds like) you guys are all O.K.
    Thanks. Glad I could share and I appreciate this not turning into a 'you should've done X' conversation.

Thankfully, we're all ok. I can't describe how scary that one was. If both Chris and I had been caught, it would've been a split decision of who to search for first for our friends. We all went to the nearest gas station and started drinking in the parking lot immediately after this happened...and we're not going back