Narrow AND Low Volume Boots?

Me: 5'9, ~150lbs, Advanced skier with VERY skinny and low volume feet as well as skinny ankles and calves. I ski all over the mountain, including a fair amount in the park.

I badly need to replace my worn and tired Lange's from 6 seasons ago. I've always had a hard time finding boots that are both skinny in the last, but also low volume in the heel area. I'm gonna be trying on a bunch of different models this season, but are there any specific models any bootfitter mags would recommend?

I demo'd a pair of Rossi's (Sensor 120 something?) last season that were good in the toebox, but my heel swam around way too much, even with my cork footbeds from my old boots. I'm curious to try the Dalbello Kryptons, as well as what Lange is offering up this year, but I'd appreciate some suggestions.
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique

You sound like the perfect candidate to go see a good bootfitter. Both the kryptons and the full tilts are low volume with a tight heel pocket, and the intuition liner is great for.narrow calves. Definitely see a bootfitter though to have your feet checked out and a boot recommended.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Atomic RTTI 95mm last and get a bootfitter to grind them and adjust the flex to your liking. You can usually find some pretty cheap deals on these.
    http://skatewerks.com/hewocuprask.html
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Rossi = Lange now with some minor differences. Also, the Sensor 120 has a 100mm last. Makes sense you would swim in it if you have low volume feet.

If I were you, I'd make an appointment with Claude:
    http://skinetsports.com/
    Last edited by Arty50; 09-06-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    Atomic RTTI 95mm last and get a bootfitter to grind them and adjust the flex to your liking. You can usually find some pretty cheap deals on these.
    http://skatewerks.com/hewocuprask.html
    That is what I ski in, definitely low volume and narrow, comes in 100, 130, and 150 flexes.

I am about your size and ski the 100 with a Zip Fit liner, flexes more like your average 120

Previous boots for comparison- Fischer x 120, Atomic Nuke, Atomic FR 120, Krypton, Technica XT-17,

Narrower than all of them.

levelnine also has a few sh3's left...
    http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-...cing-Ski-Boots

I have similar feet and chicken legs like you and I just got a pair of kryptons last season. Intuitions are plenty narrow and the ankle buckle helps prevent heel movement. Of course you are going to want to go to a bootfitter regardless.

Women's boots. no joke.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Doberman XS

And a bootfitter.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Options from Lange:
    RS 130 (97MM LAST)
    RX 130 L.V. (97 MM LAST)
    R2006 Plug (92 mm last) * This one is hard to find, i know the Starthaus in Truckee, CA stocks them. Available in ZA-J flex (125) ZA (135 FLEX) ZB (145 FLEX) ZC (155 FLEX)
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Dalbello Scorpion

good boot fitter, that deals in race boots. start at 95mm boots, and go to 98mm if you have to

Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post
    Both the kryptons and the full tilts are low volume with a tight heel pocket, and the intuition liner is great for.narrow calves. Definitely see a bootfitter
    +1 Truth

One Q for all the people recommending race boots - My current boots are 05/06 Lange WC 120s (the baby blue ones), and I've had shin bang issues with them on and off. I was actually hoping to go to something a tad softer in flex to try to counteract this. They're also a 98mm last and that is pretty solid for me width-wise. With all that in mind, am I still stuck with race boots (one way or another)?
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique

race boots are just marketing for stiff/narrow, and it sounds like that is the shape you need (so that is the marketing you get)
    If you need the boot softer, do it.
    shin bang CAN be from boots that are too stiff, but usually is from boots that don't fit right, and is usually NOT just from boots that are called "race"

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    shin bang CAN be from boots that are too stiff, but usually is from boots that don't fit right, and is usually NOT just from boots that are called "race"
    what is the shinbang-problem from ur point of view. hmmm doesnt fit right. like there is too much space in between the shin and the boot or the liner-tongue sits in the wrong angle or is too low.

sorry about my english, i cant formulate my question precise.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    race boots are just marketing for stiff/narrow, and it sounds like that is the shape you need (so that is the marketing you get)
    If you need the boot softer, do it.
    qft.
    Shin bang is more a function of fit. If you're really still swimming in a performance boot last (usually 98mm), then you'll have to find someone who deals in race boots. These can be had in softer flexes, ie Doberman 100, or something like that. But it will probably have to be punched and ground. There might still be some old lange "low fit" models floating around. Them things are tight.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I have the same deal - narrow foot and very low volume. I spent a lot of time with a bootfitter (which to echo everyone else is what you should do) but ended up in a Solly Ghost which I absolutely love. I picked it over one of the Lange race boots (which would have been my second choice). Solly just replaced the slightly softer flexed Shogun with the Ghost 100 if you're looking for something a tad softer for the park.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    One Q for all the people recommending race boots - My current boots are 05/06 Lange WC 120s (the baby blue ones), and I've had shin bang issues with them on and off. I was actually hoping to go to something a tad softer in flex to try to counteract this. They're also a 98mm last and that is pretty solid for me width-wise. With all that in mind, am I still stuck with race boots (one way or another)?
    I skied that boot and a bunch more langes before that. Before lange (15 years ago) I skied Flexons.

I've been in dalbello kryptons for 3 years now and no complaints. Fit me as well or better than lange, warmer and can be adjusted from 90 or 100 to 140 flex. Also the only boot I've ever been able to ski without any modification whatsoever!

My first pair had intuition liners that were pretty sweet, but I cooked them one or two times too many. I switched to the trufit liner that came with a warranty pair and like it just about as much although it's prolly slightly heavier.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

full tilt

Sounds like same story as me. Also had langes that slowly packed out and have really narrow feet. Now in full tilt first chair. Wish I knew about how narrow they were before and probably would have gotten them over the langes.

131crew Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Women's boots. no joke.
    Sure sounds like a joke to me.

Women's boots are the opposite of low volume through the calf, amongst other reasons.

Dalbello Il Moro-98 last and can modify the flex character easily.