Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Rugby World Cup 2011

Figured there might as well be a thread on RWC11, and I know there are ruggers lurking here. Actually surprised there isn't one already. The Haka thread made me think of putting this one up.

Even though some folks consider the All Blacks the Yankees of Rugby, I still root for them, as I have ever since I took up the game. They looked pretty unstoppable earlier this year, but getting beaten by the Wallabies and the Boks on consecutive weekends has been unsettling. In the Northern hemisphere, Ingerlund looking sharp as always, and it was comical seeing Les Bleus beaten by Italy at 6 Nations. I always like the Argie ruggers as dark horse sentimental candidates, even though I hate their footie team (except for Tevez, who is pretty much a class act IMO).

Looking forward to kickoff. How are you guys watching the matches?

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Figured there might as well be a thread on RWC11, and I know there are ruggers lurking here. Actually surprised there isn't one already. The Haka thread made me think of putting this one up.

Even though some folks consider the All Blacks the Yankees of Rugby, I still root for them, as I have ever since I took up the game. They looked pretty unstoppable earlier this year, but getting beaten by the Wallabies and the Boks on consecutive weekends has been unsettling. In the Northern hemisphere, Ingerlund looking sharp as always, and it was comical seeing Les Bleus beaten by Italy at 6 Nations. I always like the Argie ruggers as dark horse sentimental candidates, even though I hate their footie team (except for Tevez, who is pretty much a class act IMO).

Looking forward to kickoff. How are you guys watching the matches?
    Looking forward to kickoff as well. Can't wait to get to Wellington in October. Go All Blacks
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

Fuck yeh Tri. I just signed on to start a RWC thread and you beat me to it!!! Dan Carter and the boys rule. My PPV bill is going to be thru the roof this month but $$ well spent. Would like to see the Eagles get a little respect this cup but just looking for a great month of Rugby and I dont really care who wins.

NZ odds-on favorites again, I'd like to see Ireland do well and they might. I always like the other Pacific Island teams (Samoa, Fiji, Tonga) but chances are slim. Gotta figure out where this will be on.

Lots of young guns this cup. Gonna miss watching some long time caps like Chabal on the French side. Love that guy.

True true Iceman. The All Blacks are my team but think how many times they choked since '87

Maybe Yankees isn't really a good analogy, since the ABs have a habit of choking on the world stage after shining during the run-up. Really hoping they do it this time, they need it after the tragedy in Christchurch earlier this year. Would be a nice story kinda like the Japanese women's soccer team, or the '95 Boks in Invictus.

As for Ireland, it'll be sad to see that O'Gara is making this his last tournament, he's a great player but I don't see them doing as well, though they might surprise.

dan Carter is the man, though. I'd heard he was hurt though? Also like Francois Trinh-Duc, pretty stylish player.

I'm leaving new zealand Thursday but hanging out here the last 6 months I've become a fan of the game. Any place to watch in the states on tv or web?

DirecTV has it on pay-per-view for $25./$35. in HD for the whole thing, is how it seems but their website is pretty unclear on the subject. You can do one click to record the whole thing to your DVR, which is pretty cool. Sometimes I'm stoked I have DirecTV.

I've played a tad in my day. Partial achilles tear took me out all last season. Couldn't ski and could barely fucking walk.

I'm surpassing on that shit this year in favor of a full ski season.

Anyways, next to the Eagles I've always been intrigued by Russia. Every year the last few they've been getting better and wouldn't be surprised to see them make a darkhorse run for the final.

I'd be down for splitting a couple games with people. Buying all those fuckers myself is going to get expensive.
    The best things in life aren't things.

In the past, I’ve been getting streams from somewhat dubious sources like www.justin.tv and myp2p.im, sometimes with good success, but it’s been hit or miss.

I've been tempted to plunk down the $20 for another streaming intermediary, www.watchliverugbyworldcup.com, but am not 100% sure the site is legit enough for me to give them my CC #. Anybody else tried it? Anyone else willing to give it a shot?

Also: No sex please, we are Kiwis

I'm actually wearing the rugby world cup 2011 shirt right now. Any chance this is on espn3?

English and Scottish fans are pouring into Christchurch at the moment. Keeping the pubs entertaining. The city defiantly has a different atmosphere than it did only a few weeks ago, tragic there won't be any games here.

It's on the Ocho, right after the Cooper's Hill Cheese Roll.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/ne...d=2042464.html

Looks like NBC will show 3 matches including the final.

6 or 7? matches on Universal????

The rest PPV.

Oh, and one of my biggest regrets is never playing. My school was pretty damn good on the club scene. We didn't have frats, we had the Rugby team. Still, that was really no excuse. Mtn Biking and skiing appealed to me more back then, and still do. I thought about playing here in Tampa, but the family thing got in the way. Plus, Ultimate is a bit easier on the body, so I went that way. Still regret it though. The Tampa club is pretty damn good too.

My pops is a coach and a ref and the team doctor. He pushed since the 70's to get a Rugby team at our H.S. They finally gave in when he and a couple other guys kept pushing. That was about 5 years ago. One of the coaches is pretty high up with the national 7's team(from a coaching standpoint, I think). So, that really helped their cred. Plus, my dad offered to coach and be team doctor, which really eased some parents' fears. The Rugby team now has an A and a B team, and they have to turn kids away. It is one of the most popular sports in the school. It also has one of the lowest injury rates.

One of the guys from our college team (St. Bonaventure) was killed almost 10 years ago in the WTC. They started a memorial rugby scholarship to Bonaventure. One of the kids my dad refs in Cheshire, CT won it last year. Thought that was pretty cool.
    Last edited by warthog; 09-06-2011 at 06:17 PM.

I played for a long time, on an extremely good team in college and then after. When I played for the Boston Rugby Club we had a few guys from the Eagles on the team, it was ridiculous how big and fast they were and also how much slower and smaller they were than the players on the teams they played against internationally (and how much smaller and slower they were than NFL players too). Kinda put things in perspective for me.

Step-dad's a Kiwi so I hope the All Blacks wipe the pitch with the rest of them.

Anyone have info on what NBC will show as the link above leaves a bit to be desired.

Wow, looks like we'll be getting all of three games on Comcast here in Minneapolis. Looks like I'll be spending some time at The Local and Brit's in the next few weeks.

I played for 15+ years and played for some really good teams back in the day (Chicago Blaze, Cincinnati Wolfhounds) and was selected to play for the under 20 National team in college many years ago (think decades). I'm excited for the WC and see the Boks and All Blacks as the teams to beat but would not rule out Australia, Argentina, England & France. The Eagles will be lucky to win one game (Russia) and we have not looked/played well during the summer tune up matches.

Warthog....does your Dad ref in CT? If so, I probably know him as I coach a high school team in CT. We are still a young program but hold our own against some of the more tenured and stronger high school teams in the northeast.
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post
    Anyways, next to the Eagles I've always been intrigued by Russia. Every year the last few they've been getting better and wouldn't be surprised to see them make a darkhorse run for the final.
    This is a joke right?

Australia to beat SA in the final for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    This is a joke right?

Australia to beat SA in the final for me.
    San Antonio for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    San Antonio for the win!
    meh, I've never liked those guys since the iceman left.

USA vs Ireland this Sunday 9/11 live on NBC. That is kind of a big deal considering you could not find a rugby game anywhere on tv 5 years ago. The host on Universal Sports just said the 2011 RWC is expected to be the 3rd most watched televised sporting event in the world behind the Olympics and soccer world cup. Hard to believe but good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by elevens View Post
    I played for 15+ years and played for some really good teams back in the day (Chicago Blaze, Cincinnati Wolfhounds) and was selected to play for the under 20 National team in college many years ago (think decades). I'm excited for the WC and see the Boks and All Blacks as the teams to beat but would not rule out Australia, Argentina, England & France. The Eagles will be lucky to win one game (Russia) and we have not looked/played well during the summer tune up matches.

Warthog....does your Dad ref in CT? If so, I probably know him as I coach a high school team in CT. We are still a young program but hold our own against some of the more tenured and stronger high school teams in the northeast.
    Yes- he is affiliated with Simsbury High, but he refs all over the state.

I love Rugby. I played in college, and have been hooked ever since.

Would love to see this, but it looks like very few of these matches are available in the US, and I don't have direct TV. Bummer. I will probably have to find some grey market internet channel to watch the ones I want to see.