Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by outabounds View Post
    I don't know what's getting older faster, Lonnie's constant Sony blather or his Nikon envy.
    There is no nikon envy here. I think that for their specs they are WAY over priced. I am happy right where I am. I know that the last time I handed my A900 to one of my Nikon buddies, the first words out of his mouth was "Wow". That's no lie.

I won't lie, I came into the Sony system by happenstance. Do I overhype them, maybe. But I am really exicted about where they are going as a camera company. Yes, I have a tendency over emphasize things to make a point. Just recognize it for what it is.

On the flip side, you should all take me up on my recommendation to at least look at what they have to offer. It costs you nothing too go to your local camera store and check them out. Check out the Zeiss glass. I'm telling you, it's awesome.

And if you are really tired of me, you always have the option of putting me on ignore....
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    There is no nikon envy here. I think that for their specs they are WAY over priced. I am happy right where I am. I know that the last time I handed my A900 to one of my Nikon buddies, the first words out of his mouth was "Wow". That's no lie.

I won't lie, I came into the Sony system by happenstance. Do I overhype them, maybe. But I am really exicted about where they are going as a camera company. Yes, I have a tendency over emphasize things to make a point. Just recognize it for what it is.

On the flip side, you should all take me up on my recommendation to at least look at what they have to offer. It costs you nothing too go to your local camera store and check them out. Check out the Zeiss glass. I'm telling you, it's awesome.

And if you are really tired of me, you always have the option of putting me on ignore....
    I'll check out Sony when my D90 stops doing everything I want it to.

I like seeing your photos, so I'll wait to put you on ignore until there's an option to show the pictures and hide the words.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Check out the Zeiss glass. I'm telling you, it's awesome.
    Zeiss ZF glass is really nice. And you can use it on your Nikon

your whole what if is, well, stupid.

Do I overhype them, maybe. But I am really exicted about where they are going as a camera company. Yes, I have a tendency over emphasize things to make a point. Just recognize it for what it is.
    While I find the conversation interesting, good points stand on their own. The hyperbole is over the top. Sony is in a mess, suffering it's largest losses in over a decade. As for your claim it's the world's #1 consumer electronic company? By what measure? Samsung overtook them several years ago. I too love seeing your photos, but your claims seem a bit out of whack...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Zeiss ZF glass is really nice. And you can use it on your Nikon
    AF much????

@hotdig: I must have had bad info. I will concede that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Huh? It's a fucking MEDIUM FORMAT Leica.
    Kids these days...

Do I overhype them, maybe.
    If the A99 is even remotely close to what it's expected to be, it'll be a game changer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    If the A99 is even remotely close to what it's expected to be, it'll be a game changer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    That's what I'm saying and me too!

I have to get 1 more jab in...

From Bloomberg today. One of my Canon shooting buddies turned me on to this article...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...y-cameras.html

Canon Inc. (7751) and Nikon Corp. (7731), the world’s two biggest makers of high-end cameras, may be missing out on the industry’s biggest technology shift since film rolls became obsolete.

The two Tokyo-based companies use mirrors in all cameras with interchangeable lenses, a technique Sony Corp. (6758) is shifting away from. As a result, Canon and Nikon’s combined share of the Japanese market has fallen by 35 percent, while Sony’s share has doubled, according to estimates at research firm BCN Inc.
    It's all happy hyperbole so don't get yer panties in too big of a bunch!

I have to get 1 more jab in...

From Bloomberg today. One of my Canon shooting buddies turned me on to this article...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...y-cameras.html

It's all happy hyperbole so don't get yer panties in too big of a bunch!
    What is the Japanese market as a percentage of the global market? I read that article earlier and and it pissed me off because the numbers are useless without the global context. Unbunched...

Quote Originally Posted by HotDiggity View Post
    What is the Japanese market as a percentage of the global market? I read that article earlier and and it pissed me off because the numbers are useless without the global context. Unbunched...
    I think the take home point is, regardless of size, the Japanese market is an indicator of the future trends in the worldwide market.

I think the take home point is, regardless of size, the Japanese market is an indicator of the future trends in the worldwide market.
    No Doubt. Wasn't arguing your point. Just some bashing of the media in general.

No Doubt. Wasn't arguing your point. Just some bashing of the media in general.
    Understood (before my last post).

are there any mirror-less cameras with larger sensors, or are they all currently focused on keeping the camera size small? I personally like the feel of either a larger camera, or if I want a small camera, something real small that easily fits in a pocket. I have never really felt like the micro 4/3rds or mirrorless offerings were that appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by alembical View Post
    are there any mirror-less cameras with larger sensors, or are they all currently focused on keeping the camera size small? I personally like the feel of either a larger camera, or if I want a small camera, something real small that easily fits in a pocket. I have never really felt like the micro 4/3rds or mirrorless offerings were that appealing to me.
    The Sony NEX cameras (and the fuji x100) have an APS-C sized sensor in them, the same size of a non-full frame DSLR....

An interesting camera size comparison (The only reason I post this is so folks can get an idea of how small the NEX really is).
    Pentax K5, Sony A55, Fujifilm X100,
    Sony NEX5, Olympus Pen EP-2, Leica M9,
    Canon G12, Nikon D7000, Sony A700.

Note that the NEX5 is smaller than the Canon G12....

That's slightly misleading because it doesn't show how much the lens sticks out. If you want to set the NEX up with the same zoom range as the G12 you end up with quite a bulky setup
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by gholman12 View Post
    Leica is obviously high quality shiznit, but isn't most of their reputation due to their great glass?
    and here i thought leica was all about that little red dot...

freak~[&]

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    and here i thought leica was all about that little red dot...

freak~[&]
    People pay $1,000 extra for the "Professional" Leica M9 without the red dot

What is the Japanese market as a percentage of the global market? .
    In this representative image the percentage is 87.5%

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    That's slightly misleading because it doesn't show how much the lens sticks out. If you want to set the NEX up with the same zoom range as the G12 you end up with quite a bulky setup
    It's not my photo (just the one I could find) but I won't disagree. You can't have something for nothing and to get image coverage for an APS-C sized sensor, you have to have a bigger lens.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    In this representative image the percentage is 87.5%

I knew that was coming!

If Sony really wanted to cinch the lead they would start offering a Hello Kitty edition of all their cameras. That would be the end of Canon and Nikon.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    If Sony really wanted to cinch the lead they would start offering a Hello Kitty edition of all their cameras. That would be the end of Canon and Nikon.
    Is this close enough?

Quote Originally Posted by alembical View Post
    Leica M9P is mirrorless with a 36x24mm sensor. It costs a little more than a NEX, but the IQ will be better. The lenses cost a bit more, too.

It's not my photo (just the one I could find) but I won't disagree. You can't have something for nothing and to get image coverage for an APS-C sized sensor, you have to have a bigger lens.
    here's another one with the upcoming NEX7

I have to say that the NEX7 looks like a sweet back but the NEX range just won't do it for me unless they can come up with lenses which really competes (in size and quality) with the Panny 20/1.7

i recently got my first proper DSLR, a Pentax K7 (which probably makes me even more of a weirdo than a Sony user ) which is actually a really sweet camera. very compact for its spec and really nice external controls. the NEX system doesn't really have much size advantage over that if you are having to carry around dobber lenses like the one in the pic, esp when you compare it to the size of the Pentax Limited primes
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Leica M9P is mirrorless with a 36x24mm sensor. It costs a little more than a NEX, but the IQ will be better. The lenses cost a bit more, too.
    Or you could save $1k and get the M9 with the red dot. The big sensor (used to be film) in a relatively small, clean, easy to use package with great lenses is what makes a Leica a Leica.... and the reason why the SLR Leicas never really caught on